Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Front fog lamps

Options
  • 28-07-2006 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭

p155 me off royally. Why do people use them when it's not foggy? So their cars look sportier? Fair play, THAT'S a good reason to blind everybody.

I think it shoudl be a fine-able offence to have them on in good conditions.

What's the concensus.

Also sorry if it's been done before.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

overdriver wrote:
    It has been done 57,000 times before!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

overdriver wrote:

It has been done many times.

I use them since I got a car with them: they illuminate the potholes much better, and i'm not joking. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

overdriver wrote:
    p155 me off royally. Why do people use them when it's not foggy? So their cars look sportier? Fair play, THAT'S a good reason to blind everybody.

What's the concensus.

The solution is high beams & fogs back. If enough people do it then even those muppets will learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

kbannon wrote:
    It has been done 57,000 times before!
    you sure you're not missing a zero or two there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

They don't really blind me and I've got perfect 20/20 vision! Are they not the same brightness level as normal beams?

Even the satey experts in Sweden brought it in years back to have normal beams on at all time during the day. So if it has been proven that it might save lives and not distract people into the ditch, I'm all for having them on during the day

EDIT: I know years ago, the Gardai would fine people for having them on, but they were the big mother fcuker ones that sat in front of the grill and were normally bigger than the main lights themselves. Rally cars had them also, while tarted up trucks also have them. But nowadays, they're small and sit in the bumper and don't bother me when on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

overdriver wrote:

What's the concensus.

If it makes you feel better, I removed mine when I changed the front body kit. Much prefer the clean look and larger grille area without them. For the record, I find Fogs plus normal lights too bright too, which makes the dangerous IMO.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Sorry, they DO blind people.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

flanzer wrote:
    Are they not the same brightness level as normal beams?
    No, not at all, because they're designed to penetrate fog after all :rolleyes:
    Even the satey experts in Sweden brought it in years back to have normal beams on at all time during the day.
    NOT fogs, and NOT dips, but special lower-intensity daytime running lights.
    So if it has been proven that it might save lives
    If you're driving close to the Arctic Circle, then yes. And the elk might spot you coming sooner and not hop into the road. But this is Ireland...

Anyone who uses fogs when it's not foggy or snowing is simply retarded.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

ninja900 wrote:
    If you're driving close to the Arctic Circle, then yes. And the elk might spot you coming sooner and not hop into the road. But this is Ireland...

I have one of these signs up the road from me:

istockphoto_378511_reindeer_crossing2.jpg

Can I leave my lights on so? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

I don't know I've never had any problem meeting cars or cars behind me with their fogs on (try not looking at the lights I find that helps:D ). Line your car up against a wall some night and see how high they are you will find they are marginally lower the dipped beams and do you have a problem with meeting dipped beams too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I think most people use them to show off 'look I got extras on my car, I'm cool.' or are too stupid to realise what they are actually for. I have factory fitted fogs on mine and they make a slight (but unnessary) difference to your visibility of the road when its clear. I use them only in fog. If you think you need fogs when its not foggy, what you really need is a pair of glasses.

BTW I always have my dipped beans on during the day. It has been proven to reduce accidents in numerous studies. The ESB tried it over a peroid (made it compulsory on all vehicles) and accidents dropped 36%. AFAIK Its already there for motorbikes where the light must be on all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

endplate wrote:
    I don't know I've never had any problem meeting cars or cars behind me with their fogs on (try not looking at the lights I find that helps:D ). Line your car up against a wall some night and see how high they are you will find they are marginally lower the dipped beams and do you have a problem with meeting dipped beams too?

"Lower than", is that what you mean? In that case, yours might be, but I am frequently dazzled, rather than actually blinded by them on other cars. Some seem not to be so high.
    There was a cabbie living across the road, and when I asked him why he always had his on, he said they made the car look "racier".

I always drive with my dips on, so no, I have no problem with dips, except when soem cab driver has them adjusted so one is high and one is low.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

as far as i know it is in fact ILLEGAL!!! Yes ILLEGAL people!!! However its not enforced. It is enforced in the UK and you will be fined.

Anyone who thinks they NEED fog lights to see better has a problem with their vision or with their perception. By that idiotic logic... i can see potholes better with my full beams on!!! Right im driving with my full beams on from now on.. as i can see things better!!

Some people.. complete idots. :rolleyes:

When i drive in fog.. i put them on.. when i leave fog even if i know its temporary and will be back in it after a few mins.. i still turn them off.

wingnut wrote:
    I think most people use them to show off 'look I got extras on my car, I'm cool.' or are too stupid to realise what they are actually for.
    Or don't even realise they're on, or how to switch them off :rolleyes:
    BTW I always have my dipped beans on during the day. It has been proven to reduce accidents in numerous studies.
    Not at our latitudes.
    The ESB tried it over a peroid (made it compulsory on all vehicles) and accidents dropped 36%.
    I think that was Eircom. Assuming the 36% figure is actually correct, there's nothing like having all your company drivers know that an accident investigation study is under way to make them drive that bit more carefully. Without a control it's just anecdotal evidence, in other words worthless.
    AFAIK Its already there for motorbikes where the light must be on all the time.
    Not compulsory. If it was, in theory you could get a fine or penalty points for a blown bulb even though, in daylight, you've no way of knowing it's blown.

Widespread use of dipped headlights by larger vehicles during the day nullifies the benefit of bikers using them. So please, for the sake of those of us who car drivers never look for, turn 'em off!

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If Fogs daze you don't drive at night; because your eyesight isn't up to scratch!!!!

My mother always uses herts and they DO light up the road better and automatically switch off when full beam is on and then back on when full beam is disengaged.

They light up hazards better, especially on small country roads.

DRL should be compulsory and does reduce accidents.

1st thing I don when I start the car is hit the lights, day or night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

ninty9er wrote:
    If Fogs daze you don't drive at night; because your eyesight isn't up to scratch!!!!

My mother always uses herts and they DO light up the road better and automatically switch off when full beam is on and then back on when full beam is disengaged.

They light up hazards better, especially on small country roads.

DRL should be compulsory and does reduce accidents.

1st thing I don when I start the car is hit the lights, day or night

Hear hear!
    If fog lights dazzle people, the halogen lights that come standard on most BMWs, Mercs (and some puntos!) and the likes nowadays, must have some people wearing sunglasses at night!! :rolleyes:

People using their fog lights at anytime doesn't bother me in the slightest. I can think of many other annoyances with every day road users and fog lights is not one of them!

Of course fog lights dazzle people, they're designed to penetrate thick fog not thin air.
    Whether you think they look cool or not, their use in good visibility is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ninja900 wrote:
    Widespread use of dipped headlights by larger vehicles during the day nullifies the benefit of bikers using them. So please, for the sake of those of us who car drivers never look for, turn 'em off!
    This is not always possible. I drive an assortment of large vehicles where the dipped headlights activate automatically once the engine is started. They cannot be switched off when the engine is running.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ninty9er wrote:
    If you need fog lights to properly be able to see hazards on the road at night, then it's your eyes (and your headlights too) that need looking at, not the other drivers. I drive a lot on country roads at night too, and the only time I feel a need to put on my foglights is when it is foggy, very foggy. In fact I think I only really use them in anger maybe once or twice a year, if that.

Plus it's not a matter of your eyesight not being 'up to scratch' or not. When you get older (and I'm not talking geriatric) your eyes become more sensitive to glare, full stop. Even if your eyesight is otherwise perfect.

IIRC the last thread ended more or less in agreement that fogs mounted in the bumper are pretty weak and correctly adjusted shouldn't blind anyone. I know for a fact that my fogs do not dazzle people as on a level surface the beam stops about 3m in front of the car. By way of contrast the dipped beams begin lighting about 3m in front. Unless you are driving something made by corgi it is difficult to see how on earth you could be blinded by them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Merc, BMW, VW Tourag and Fiat Punto have headlights that dazzle more than other car manufacturers foglights. The majority of foglights don't really dazzle much at all. It helps of you don't stare directly at them.

What annoys me more than anything is people who don't use them when it's foggy. People who don't have any lighting at all at sunrise times, this is crazy. At least i can see someone with lights on, I can see nothing if people have no lighting.

I also include my signature in this argument, but I'm too lazy to Copy and Paste.

Advertisement