Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

passports for kids.

Options
  • 28-07-2006 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭

i was thinking of going over to scotland for 2 days with my 5 yr old daughter next month. I have a passport but she doesnt. I was wondering can i get her put on mine now, or is it too late for that now that i already have mine.?

also, i am a single mother but her father's name is on the birthcert and he also shares joint guardianship of her, would he have to sign something too? because knowing him, he wouldnt sign it to spite me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think as of October 2004 all children regardless of age are to have their own passport. If your daughter had been on yours it would have been fine (she could have used it until she was 16). More info below from oasis.gov.ie.
    Since 1 October 2004 all children, regardless of age, must obtain an individual Irish passport in their own name. However, parents' passports issued before 1 October on which children have been included remain valid and do not need to be replaced. Children who are included on a parent’s passport issued before 1 October 2004 may continue to travel to most countries up to their 16th birthday along with that parent providing the passport is still valid. There are, however, some exceptions. These include the Czech Republic which requires persons aged 15 and over to carry their own passport and Estonia which requires all persons aged 7 and over to carry their own passport. If you are in any doubt, check with the Embassy or Consulate of the country concerned before you travel.

Children under 3 can apply for a 3 year passport, and children between 3-17 can apply for a 5 year passport. The parental consent section (Section 7) of the form must be signed by both parents or guardians each time a new passport is issued for a child. Every application for a passport of a child under 18 years must be accompanied by the full birth certificate showing the names of the child's parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

The parental consent section (Section 7) of the form must be signed by both parents or guardians each time a new passport is issued for a child

aww crap, thats that trip down the drain so.

ps. thanks Ruu.

You might be able to get an emergency passport for her (maybe its for people who already have them though) :( if needed but I'm not too sure about how it works, I guess maybe give the passport office a call on Monday and get some facts I suppose. Its a shame alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Taking the photo is fun. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

AFAIR you don't absolutley need passport for travel to UK if you are an Irish citizen - you do need some photo ID for the flights - check out the website of whatever airline you are using - it may be that you can get by without a passport for this trip - don't know about if you legally require guardians permission to travel though - that's a different issue.

• Advertisement

Hobbes wrote:
    Taking the phone is fun. :)
    not sure i get you..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Hi,

You don't need a passport for your child when flying to the UK as long as they're under 16. I take my drivers license and my kids birth certs whenever I go. My brother who isn't with his sons mother took his son to the UK for a holiday recently with only the sons birth cert and they were fine. He didn't need any consent signed by the mother. They flew Ryanair.

Thanks Crea! i think i will be flying with aer arrann, but sure i can ring them and ask them...

-Femmy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Femmy wrote:
    not sure i get you..

doh :) changed it.
    You don't need a passport for your child when flying to the UK as long as they're under 16.

I would be wary with this. For example you don't need a passport to fly from UK to Ireland but you do going the other way. My uncle got trapped in Ireland for a week over that :) I went over just to pick up a passport.

Some more info, from the Ryanair website.
    # N.B. Children under 16 years (including infants) travelling with an adult are required to have photo-ID when travelling on flights between European Economic Area (EEA) countries. Acceptable photo-ID for children under 16 is either a valid passport or a valid National Identity Card issued by an EEA country.

Photo-Id for children under 16 years is not required in the following circumstances:

* o Children travelling with an adult on UK domestic flights and UK-Republic of Ireland-UK routes.
    * Children included on the passport of the parent with whom they are travelling.
    * German children under 10 in possession of a valid German Government Kinderausweis travel document.
    * o Italian children in possession of a valid Certificato Di Nascita which has been endorsed as "VALIDO PER L'ESPATRIO" valid for travel and signed by "IL QUESTORE" subject to acceptance for entry to your destination country.

• Advertisement

Hobbes wrote:
    doh :) changed it.

I would be wary with this. For example you don't need a passport to fly from UK to Ireland but you do going the other way. My uncle got trapped in Ireland for a week over that :) I went over just to pick up a passport.

ha , thats gas.

flying with aer arann... found this:
    Children under the age of 16 years travelling with an adult who has a valid photo-ID do not need photo-ID.

should be safe enough so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭MyBaby

You do not need a passport for a child under 16 once travelling within ireland or to the UK.

I went to Edinburgh in march last with my then 6month old and didnt have his passport for him going. Have just got it now cause we're going to Turkey in september.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

Hi Femmy

Just to let you know that if you decide to go elsewhere on holidays and your ex-partner will not sign the passport form (and it needs both parents signatures) you can apply to your local family court for the judge to sign, basically what it involves is you selecting a good solicitor, sending a letter to your ex asking him to sign it, if he ignores 2-3 letters, it then goes to the family court, he is sent a court summons to appear, if he ignores that as well, the judge will sign a document which allows you to get a passport without your husband/ex partner's signature, how do I know, well I did it myself and my son has had his own passport since he was 2years, and I've been able to renew it with the same document. So don't worry if your ex won't sign, there is another way around it.

McGinty wrote:
    Hi Femmy

Just to let you know that if you decide to go elsewhere on holidays and your ex-partner will not sign the passport form (and it needs both parents signatures) you can apply to your local family court for the judge to sign, basically what it involves is you selecting a good solicitor, sending a letter to your ex asking him to sign it, if he ignores 2-3 letters, it then goes to the family court, he is sent a court summons to appear, if he ignores that as well, the judge will sign a document which allows you to get a passport without your husband/ex partner's signature, how do I know, well I did it myself and my son has had his own passport since he was 2years, and I've been able to renew it with the same document. So don't worry if your ex won't sign, there is another way around it.

Thanks a million for that.
    i will certainly keep it in mind.

-Femmy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

McGinty wrote:
    Hi Femmy

Good on you McGinty, it is wonderful to see such a contribution. You are a star!!

I was just musing here that would it not be even better if you hooked femmy up with your solicitor or perhaps PM'ed her the text of the letter required so as she can get started

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I know its late now but I do recommend that you organise passports for the kids. It saves so much trouble. Once you have passports then you don't need to worry about what form of ID which airline wants etc etc because whilst to get through immigration you may need nothing more than a bus pass that won't count if the airline has a policy that only certain documents are acceptable and a passport is always a trump card.

We got there and back fine. I wouldnt have had time to get a passport before we left, what with her father the type to cause trouble if i wanted him to sign something..But i will be putting the wheels in process soon i reckon to get one for her.

Advertisement