Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wing mirror spiders

Options
  • 28-07-2006 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭

OK, just to lighten the tone a bit, and to make change from the endless threads about VRT 'avoidance', provisional drivers and foglights (groan!), how many of you have one or more pet wing mirror spiders? There's a thread on the same subject going on over in Rec / Nature/Birdwatching of all places, but I thought it would make a good subject for here as well :)

So, who has one, or more importantly considering their apparent widespread distribution ... who hasn't got one??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Got no wildlife in the mirrors as they are sealed units but I spotted a fine web between the B pillar and the passenger seat edge!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Pet spider lived in the back window of my mondeo for a long time and drove me mad with cobwebs. He died a few years ago and his carcass is still to be seen in the air vent below the window if one looks closely enough.

I have never seen one in the mirror though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Ive 2 small lads living in my wing mirror. How they hang on is beyond me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Yea, I got a few of the critters meself. They can be spotted in the morning when the dew is on the car or after a shower of rain. I just brush them away :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

LOL...Yeah I've got one at the moment too. Got rid of one last week only to find another one building a huge web between the mirror and the window.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Oh thank god it's not just me!

Had one in my old car (Primera) and have adopted another in my new car (BWM 320D).

Both cars had motorised mirrors which have a little bit of space at the back of the mirror unit for it to tilt about. I think that's where he lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Both cars had motorised mirrors which have a little bit of space at the back of the mirror unit for it to tilt about. I think that's where he lives.
    Yep, that's where they hang out! Occasionally they'll poke their heads out and take a look, but usually any attempt to flush them out (literally, when washing the car) just fails. I'm guessing it's a nice safe, warm environment in there, especially in the winter and you have heated door mirrors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Had one for a year and half in a Bora wing mirror. We didn't become 'true' friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I had a spider who constructed a web between the top of the steering wheel and the top the windscreen, just about every morning for months.... I think he moved on eventually. Had a small fir tree growing in the passenger footwell for a while in a very leaky car, dies off when the dry weather arrived, and ants for a while, the spider must have gotten them. However the worst was a bird that admired itself in the wingmirror and pooped all over the side of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

if you can remove the glass by just popping it out, you should be able to take them out and place them on the next door neighbours car mirror instead...:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Have a spider here on passenger side. My wife who is afraid of spiders (aren't they all :D) pointed at it and cringed.. me being me pressed the windo button and she almost jumped her pants and hit me!! :D I told her i was err.. just scaring him away..
    Hey it worked when the window went down.. he legged it behind the mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I think they are cool.

I used to have one behind the drivers side leccy mirror on my car. Used to build his web overnight, to collect insects on it on my daily commute.

Amazing that the web could survive an 80mph zoom down the motorway twice a day with only minor damage.

Presumably he also gobbled up the insect splats on the front of the mirror housing.

I always though he was cute and I usually hate spiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Wash yer cars ye frickin hippies!

JohnCleary wrote:
    Don't harsh my buzz maaaaaaan.

And besides, they live *behind* the mirror, geddit?

Unless you take the motorised units apart, it's impossible to evict them.

Anyways, if it wasn't for spiders, the earth would be totally overrun by insects - ecological fact!

Live and let live, I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

awwww, i wanna car pet! think ill go put some spiders behind my mirror :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Ain't seen them, but they leave some massive webs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

JohnCleary wrote:

I have one in the drivers side mirror and he always manages to survive the car wash

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

kluivert wrote:
    I have one in the drivers side mirror and he always manages to survive the car wash

Hot powerhose, and aim well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

JohnCleary wrote:
    Hot powerhose, and aim well ;)
    Tried that too ... they're tough little buggers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Alun wrote:
    Tried that too ... they're tough little buggers :)

True. And their web is like hardcore stuff, sometimes it doesn't even move after the powerhose treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

(BWM 320D)

Hey DublinWriter you must have got the "Works Motor" :D;)

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote:
    Hey DublinWriter you must have got the "Works Motor" :D;)
    I'm self-employed, I wish someone would give me the 'works' motor.

But then again, all that BIK tax and ... oh no! Quick! The thread police! We're going off topic! Sketch lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 1st Colt

JohnCleary wrote:

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Usually have one in each mirror. Occasionally I spot one dangling from the mirror and manage to remove it before it crawls back in, but there's always another ready to take up residence within a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

1st Colt wrote:
    :D:D:D

I've warned you and I've pm'd you that you should not drag up old posts. Within 10 minutes of reading my pm, you do it again (the 4th time today). You're banned for a month.

If you ever plan to come back here, read the charter and show some respect for others...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement