Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats & counters, laptops etc....

Options
  • 28-07-2006 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Somone here mentioned this so I thought Id give it a try....

We were waking in the morning to the sight of Typo (our kitty) sleeping on kitchen counters and at one point, on my laptop. Furniture I dont mind tbh, but kitchen counter, no-go area and laptop vents dont much like a moulting cat.

So, I decided to try this, and amazingly it worked!

Old CD's mirror side-up.
    Place on things that she souldnt be sleeping on, and wholla! No more waking to kitty sitting on brand new laptops and counter-tops!

:D

b

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yep its a good one alright, our little one hasn't ventured into jumping onto the counters in the kitchen yet, she doesn't seem too interested in it but is very fond of my mouse cursor. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

OK, how do I stop this :)

20021225112304rscm3.th.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Alun wrote:
    OK, how do I stop this :)

20021225112304rscm3.th.jpg

Haha wouldn't have a clue but thats a smart one right there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

LOL, thats a good one, aint seen that one before! :):)
    I spose you could try the staring, standing silent intense staring, right between the eyes (try not to blink!) method, he / she looks like shes looking for a challenge! I LOVE that facial expression!
    "Oh, you can see me, fine try move me!" lol ;)

IIRC, most cats see blinking as a sign of submission when staring contest. At least our guy used to lol.

Is there any particular smell he dosent like, garlic for instance?
    You could spray some in there, not enuf to stink your dishes but enough to put him off (remember, a cats sense of smell is 75% more sensitive than ours!). Might work if hes not too determined.

Or find a toy you know he will love, and ONLY give it to him just before you start to pack the dishes!
    (shots in the dark here really lol) ;)

b

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dolce

I'm afraid that only bribery of the most vicious kind worked for me (we have two cats who adored the dishwasher as kittens). I used some nice, smelly chedder cheese to coax them out.

After a few times, I only had to give them the cheese occasionally and then they grew out of it - having realised that it could be more fun to climb into other interesting spaces like the tumbledryer, clotheswasher and best of all, the corner cupboard amongst all the pots and pans (what IS it with their curiosity?!)

A friend suggested sprinkling them with water but it only seemed to make them more determined to try and climb down the out pipe! I couldn't quite bring myself to do it more than a couple of times.

I've done the 'stare' thing myself and it works well. When they're being particularly bolshy (sorry, I should say independent) I add a hiss. Sometimes it's really nice being the alpha pud!

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Actually that picture was taken a while ago, and she's (more or less) grown out of it now, but I've got plenty more pictures like that ... in cupboards, the bath, the washing basket, cardboard boxes, wardrobes, laptop cases ... you name it, if she can get in it she will. She still looks longingly at the inside of the dishwasher every now and then though. Her sister though isn't interested at all, for some reason.

Oh yes, and as someone mentioned, they both have a thing for smelly mature cheddar cheese :)

Advertisement