Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essentials to get started ?

Options
  • 28-07-2006 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

I'm starting a sialing course next month and was told I'd need to get the following :

Life Jacket
    Deck Shoes
    Waterproofs

I picked up a pair of deck shoes on eBay for 20 quid so that's grand.
    For waterproofs I figure I can use my rugby raingear (I'll be bringing a change of clothes with me anyway) and if after the course I start sailing/crewing regularly then I'll buy a proper set.

My main question is about the life jacket. I've had a look on the web and figure that being 6'3" and about 90 kilos I'll need a 150 newton jacket.
    What's confusing me is the difference between manual and automatic jackets.

I'm thinking that as I'll be a beginner I may end up in the water a few times so this could be quite costly in replacement gas canisters for an automatic jackets, but someone said to me that you need to have an automatic in case you get knocked out before you fall in the water.

Anyway what would people recommend in the manual v automatic stakes and where would people suggest buying a jacket and is there any brand I should look out for ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Silver Breeze

Is your course in Ireland? If so, is the course provider recognised by the ISA?

The course provider is required by ISA to supply a suitable lifejacket for each trainee, hence you should not need to buy your own.

Having said that, Western Marine in Dalkey have good value line of lifejackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Is your course in Ireland? If so, is the course provider recognised by the ISA?

The course provider is required by ISA to supply a suitable lifejacket for each trainee, hence you should not need to buy your own.

Having said that, Western Marine in Dalkey have good value line of lifejackets.

The course is on in Howth Yacht Club and I was told that I need to bring a lifejacket as they cannot take anyone out on the water without a lifejacket.
    It's an Adult Sail Training programme so not sure if it's ISA recognised or not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Are you sailing dinghies or cruisers? This will influence the lifejacket you get. I would recommend waiting for the course to start before you get a lifejacket as they will be able to advise you better. 150 Newton lifejacket would have to be an inflatable to be practical but these can be expensive. I'd hold off on buying any other gear until you know what you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

If you're in a dinghy, like a topaz, lazer or anything along those lines, I would recomend a wetsuit. Because even if you get wet, because you've capsised or what not they keep you warm. Oh and a hat.

Are you sailing dinghies or cruisers?

We'll be training on class 1, 2, 3, Puppeteer & Crusing classes so a bit of everything really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

All Crusiers. You won't need a wetsuit for them but you may get wet from rain/spray. You'd probably be able to get a gas inflated lifejacket for the boats but I'd wait until the first evening and you talk to someone in the club about it. Please don't run out and spend a fortune on brand name sailing gear only to find it's not really suitable too many new people do this already.

Please don't run out and spend a fortune on brand name sailing gear only to find it's not really suitable too many new people do this already.

Nope, only thing I'm spending money on now is a good life jacket as that's one thing thats worth getting(I've seen them go up to €230 in one shop but I'll be getting one for 100 or close to).
    I got a pair of new musto deck shoes for 10 sterling on eBay and for wetgear i'll just bring my wet weather rugby training gear to throw on over my clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Sounds like you would be fine with an automatic one, you shouldn't be getting wet enough that it will inflate from the description you've given us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Yea, takes a lot of water to set off an automatic one. I do foredeck on a 34 footer and have ended up soaked thru even with all my wet gear on. Lifejacket won't inflated unless the firing mechanisms is fully immersed in water.

If you're sure you're going to be doing a lot of sailing a good brand name lifejacket is essential. But they are expensive so don't go buying one if u think it's not going to be used after the course.

Good luck! Hope you ejnoy it!

Just an update, finished the course and completely hooked on sailing now.
    Going out on wednesday to crew on a class 1 in a race and can't wait (well when I say crew I mean add ballast!)

• Advertisement

Where are you going?

Simona1986 wrote:
    Where are you going?

I don't know exactly, but it's from howth so I'd imagine no further than lambay!

Just wondering because we (Poolbeg) race Wednesday nights also, thought you might be coming out with us.

Thursday night in Dun L is where the real racing is! :p

Simona, how much longer are the wed races on for? DBSC ones end this thurs :(

Next Wednesday is the last one I'm afraid, then it's Sundays only.

:( Do you do any winter sailing?

Not during the week, it's just too dark to be racing. THe Sunday series started last Sunday and goes on for a good while, I'll find out the dates tomorrow.
    EDIT: found this on the web
    http://www.poolbegmarina.ie/club_racings_events.htm

I do the turkey shoot and spring chicken myself. Good fun, not serious racing so it's good for crew training and practicing new techniques. And surprisingly only lost two races due to bad weather.

Advertisement