Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next step after a BSc General in statistics?

Options
  • 28-07-2006 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

I think that work would probably be the best thing to help me figure out what I want but I'm not sure what jobs a BSc in statistics should apply for and most positions seem to require either an honours degree or more experience. My only work experience is as a Census Enumerator and I didn't like it. I don't know if I want to work in statistics in the long run but I want to get a job based on my degree to be going on with to make sure I'm getting value for my qualification while I'm thinking about what to do with my life (as I understand it a BSc in statistics is quite rare in Ireland). I'm going to try talking to the Careers Office but in the meantime I thought I'd see what people had to say.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Why don't you just stay on an extra year?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

I needed to pass eight units but I only got seven. If I'd been able to do German instead of ending up with Combinatorial Mathematics I would have been fine but there weren't enough people so the class got cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Can you not repeat?

Not allowed, number 4 on page 35 of the science booklet says "Science regulations do not allow admission to Honours courses based on supplemental or repeat BSc General Examinations.".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 whatsat

lots of jobs out there in stats in Banks at the moment - Credit Risk will be big for the next few years and there are jobs in a lot of the big banks eg BOI, bank of scotland, some are in model development / behavioural scoring, some are in control and risk measurement assessment etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I think it's the case in many courses that after 3 years working in the area you can go on to do a masters in it with only a general degree.

That sounds reasonable. The problem I'm faced with is getting work without experience. Which is kind of a vicious cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

yea there's the chance you'd have to take something mediocre which might put you off the subject before the end of three years. Some colleges also offer a one year course to take a person from a general degree to an honours degree, I've a friend who did one in a computer science related subject and can now apply for a masters but I'd have my doubts about there being such a thing for statistics.

There is such a course, www.ucd.ie/statdept/hdip_stat.doc some of the people in my classes were on it, but I want to try working first to find out where my interests lie. Perhaps I should be doing a conversion course to another subject, also, I'd have to earn some money to pay for a new course.

At this point mediocre sounds pretty good as long as I'm up to the job. I've been looking at everything from quantitative analyst or trainee actuary to post room assistant but no interviews yet other than a few recruitment agencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dontaskme

Slippers wrote:
    There is such a course, www.ucd.ie/statdept/hdip_stat.doc some of the people in my classes were on it, but I want to try working first to find out where my interests lie. Perhaps I should be doing a conversion course to another subject, also, I'd have to earn some money to pay for a new course.

I have a degree in stats.

I would suggest quality assurance, applying for positions with electronic and pharmaceutical companies, also software companies.

The statistics is not particularly technical, probably nothing more complicated than the mean value theorem.

• Advertisement

Just to update, three weeks ago I started a three month contract with the Circuit Court Civil Office as a Data Entry Clerk looking up information in old files.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Congratulations! I hope they don't mind you juggling the stationary!

Best of luck in the new job man.

Thanks. Are you in the juggling soc?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

No, I'm just a perve...I just saw your picture in the Know your UCDians thread.

Fair enough. :)
    I started to wonder if I knew you.

Advertisement