Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Bjorn and John

Options
  • 28-07-2006 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

Anyone know where to buy their new "Writers block" album in mp3 format? Dont have an Ipod, so Itunes is no good to me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

You can still buy them from itunes. It's a regular downloadable music store, just make sure you buy mp3s and not whatever the file that only Macs/ipods can use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

John2 wrote:
    You can still buy them from itunes. It's a regular downloadable music store, just make sure you buy mp3s and not whatever the file that only Macs/ipods can use.

Thanks, didnt know that. Bet it aint as cheap as allofmp3.com though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

Don't get me wrong, I'm not moralising here, but if you're not going to support the artists, why support some dodgy Russian people, just torrent the album...allofmp3.com is a load of bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

John2 wrote:

eh...FairPlay encumbered AAC files can play just fine on iTunes on PCs gg. Not just macs.

Yeah but if you want to put it on another mp3 player you're stuck.

And I agree about allofmp3.com. Gangsters.

• Advertisement

Whats the problem with allofmp3.com. Its legal under Russian copyright.

If its ambiguous in a global setting thats hardly my problem.

It's not legal here, that's the problem. No royalties are paid to the artists at all so at the very least it's morally objectionable. Why pay for music if none of it is going to the artist? You may as well paypal money to every person on soulseek that you download from.

John2 wrote:
    It's not legal here, that's the problem. No royalties are paid to the artists at all so at the very least it's morally objectionable. Why pay for music if none of it is going to the artist? You may as well paypal money to every person on soulseek that you download from.

Where does it state that allofmp3 is not legal here?

If you read their terms and conditions they say something along the lines of: "It's legal here but in your country it may not be." As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) but even though it's legal in Russia to distribute copyrighted material without the copyright holder's consent, to download that material from Ireland is against the law because it is an unauthorised copy of copyrighted material. It doesn't matter about Russia because we are not in Russia.

John2 wrote:
    If you read their terms and conditions they say something along the lines of: "It's legal here but in your country it may not be." As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) but even though it's legal in Russia to distribute copyrighted material without the copyright holder's consent, to download that material from Ireland is against the law because it is an unauthorised copy of copyrighted material. It doesn't matter about Russia because we are not in Russia.

Until I see something written down in Irish or European Law that this site is illegal then I am not going to stop using it. The Internet is a global network, I buy from sellers all across the globe.

Seems you dont have any concrete evidence that this site is illegally in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭jmc

Check this latest:
    http://www.ifpi.org/site-content/press/20060601.html

Allofmp3.com: setting the record straight
    June 2nd, 2006

Allofmp3.com is not a legal service either in Russia or anywhere else. It is distributing music without any permission from the artists or copyright holders. Unlike all the legitimate sites, it does not pay artists or copyright holders so it is effectively stealing from those who create music. Like most things that appear to be too good to be true, allofmp3.com is not what it seems.

The site claims to have a licence from ROMS, a Russian organisation that claims to be a collecting society. Yet ROMS has no rights from the record companies whatsoever to licence these pieces of music. ROMS and allofmp3.com are well aware that record companies have not granted authorisation for this service.

Downloading from allofmp3.com is illegal in most countries. Consumers should not be fooled by allofmp3.com but download from one the great value licensed and legitimate sites instead.

Allofmp3.com clearly violates rules enshrined in national copyright laws and international copyright treaties, notably those established in the EU Copyright Directive and World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) Treaties.

Even if one took allofmp3.com's license from ROMS as legitimate, which it is clearly not, it would still have no extra-territorial effect. As the site itself acknowledges 'you are not able to download audio and video from AllOFMP3.com if is in conflict with the laws of your country of residence.' [sic];

Legal action is being taken against allofmp3.com. There are two separate criminal proceedings ongoing in Russia regarding Allofmp3 directly. The first case is against the former director of MediaServices (the company that owns and runs the Allofmp3 service). The public prosecutor in Moscow has taken on this case and it is now in the trial phase. The second case is against a current director of MediaServices. This case remains in the investigation phase and again will be closely followed by IFPI.

In May 2005 a German court granted a preliminary injunction against the site saying that it had no right to offer music in Germany without the proper rights holders' consent. In October 2005 the Italian authorities shut down a portal, allofmp3.it, and began a criminal investigation into it.

I'll use up by last bit of credit with them and move to another downloading site.

Have you a recommendation of a cheap legit site?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

cheap and legit - what do you think the music industry is - nice?

Advertisement