Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with new build - PLEASE!! :(

Options
  • 28-07-2006 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

hi guys. I decided to have a 'busman's holiday' and build me a pc last week(i fix them in work all day so why shouldn't I have a new one :D) - everything arrived today but the bloody thing won't post for me. There's just a black screen and there's no internal speaker on the board to count the post beeps!! :mad:
    Anyhoos I've taken the drives out so at the moment I get a black screen with :
    AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4GHz Socket 754,
    Aopen XC Cube EX761 Aluminium S754
    Crucial PC3200 DDR-DIMM 1024MB CL3 5ns

I thought it was the cpu first but if I stick in the dvd drive without the ide cable(i've tried diff cables and drives) it gets power - with the cable it's dead - I've never had this happen before thou - Is it the board??!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Is the motherboard shorting on anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

i don't think so - I took out all the screws and lifted it out of the case and still had the same prob. Oh and I tried different ram too... :(

EDIT:Ooops I don't think I was clear - the fans are going when I power it up - its just not posting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

do the fans start spinning?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

At a guess, since you seem to know what your talking about I would say Board is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

ah the joys of building your own pc... how bittersweet

its hard from your information to accertain what the problem might be, as all we really know is that it isn't working and not posting, which is very odd.

But i'd guess at the mobo being shot as well. Have you tried a different VGA? Because for all you know it is posting, but you just can't hear it as their is no speaker for it. Your VGA might not be working, is it onboard? What mobo do you actually have?

Check when you try to power do the HDD activity lights continue to flicker for a while, this should be a sign that at least its posting. Alternatively, you'll need to find a computer with a post speaker and plug it in then tell us what sounds it is making.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

it sounds like a ram problem unless the mobo is f3cked, try the ram in other slots

I took everything out again and put it back in and it finally started to post! It turns out it doesn't support the pc3200 ram I bought - even thou it says it does on their website!:mad: :mad: :mad: Anybody know where I can pick up some pc2100 in Dublin without being ripped off - i don't want to wait till tuesday! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

That sucks. It's also a little odd, any later s754 motherboard should really support pc3200, and even if it doesn't, it should be able to run the pc3200 at whatever speeds it does support. Some boards do have funny requirements about how the memory is installed though, have you tried using just one stick and seeing if that posts ok ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

that is weird, i have the intel socket 478 version of that xcube and it supports pc3200 no problem at all

its a pain in the ass i tried the sticks on their own etc and no joy. I don't think Komplett are going to take it back because it's opened(?). I'm going to see if it's compatible with any of the pcs in work - I was supposed to other ram anyways so if it works I should be able to expense it and get the monies back..at the moment it's flying with just 512 so it's not all bad! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

i may be wrong now, but didnt some of the old 754 mobos onlysupport eec registered ram? and wouldnt using 2100ddr bea hinderence with a 400mhz fsb cpu ? as 2100 runs at 266mhz fsb ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

i think im wrong, socket 940 required eec registered memory :(

Well the 3200 works fine here in work so I can expense it - all is well. Thanks for all the advise guys! :D I

Advertisement