Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yer wheel is a bit wobbily there, ah it'll be grand

Options
  • 28-07-2006 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

going down the richmond road tonight and was behind a corolla taxi and looked at the passanger rear wheel wobbling all over the shop, caught the attention of the driver thinking of weater to say anything to her as she had a fare in the car but said to her that her rear wheel was wobbling, she said ''I'll have a look'' grand i thought, then going down dame street about an hour later i saw her again with another fare in the car! The mind boggles heres a car thats going to be working all night .

A confused VB:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Volvoboy wrote:
    going down the richmond road tonight and was behind a corolla taxi and looked at the passanger rear wheel wobbling all over the shop, caught the attention of the driver thinking of weater to say anything to her as she had a fare in the car but said to her that her rear wheel was wobbling, she said ''I'll have a look'' grand i thought, then going down dame street about an hour later i saw her again with another fare in the car! The mind boggles heres a car thats going to be working all night .

A confused VB:confused:

Are you sure it wasn't a badly fitted wheel trim? They can look as if the actual wheel is wobbling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

i thought about that but when i got side by side with the car it had no wheel trims, and the rims were dented to be-jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

that's bad enough, but yesterday morning I was behind an oil/petrol truck and I swear the trailer was at an angle to the truck (tractor unit I believe is the right name for it, but I could be wrong). I actually thought the thing could jack knife at any stage, so once I noticed it I pulled right back. I am convinced the driver was having problems controlling it, as he was keeping the inside wheel in the hard shoulder. It reminded me of trying to push a wonky shopping trolley where you have to keep it an angle to get it to go straight. I thought he should have pulled over and sought help - after all it was a highly flammable load he had on. I thought about calling 999, but sure by the time the cops would do anything he'd be long gone. I've driven behind a lot of vehichles in my time, but I've never been so scared.

Seen the car again today on the coast road it was two cars ahead of me again the wheel was still wobbily, taxi trade really has gone to the dogs, thier really should be some standards for taxi's, year and car model, still see a old w123 merc going around as a taxi on old plates white on the front and red on the back!

Volvoboy wrote:
    thier really should be some standards for taxi's, year and car model, still see a old w123 merc going around as a taxi on old plates white on the front and red on the back!

I would be delighted to get a W123 (if I used taxis). Much more character than the bland Jap imports.

Taxis are required to pass an NCT but I agree with standardising the car size. It's ridiculous that 4 door Fiat Puntos/Ford Fiestas can legally be used as taxis.

• Advertisement

it was nice to see an old timer as a taxi (always liked that model e-class)
    but as a taxi i dont think it would be too suitable.

if it has four doors and a roof it can be used as a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

There are interior dimension standards being introduced NCT is every 12 months too, My friends dad just bought a taxi company and they've to change a few cars soon because of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

chuckles30 wrote:
    that's bad enough, but yesterday morning I was behind an oil/petrol truck and I swear the trailer was at an angle to the truck (tractor unit I believe is the right name for it, but I could be wrong). I actually thought the thing could jack knife at any stage, so once I noticed it I pulled right back. I am convinced the driver was having problems controlling it, as he was keeping the inside wheel in the hard shoulder. It reminded me of trying to push a wonky shopping trolley where you have to keep it an angle to get it to go straight. I thought he should have pulled over and sought help - after all it was a highly flammable load he had on. I thought about calling 999, but sure by the time the cops would do anything he'd be long gone. I've driven behind a lot of vehichles in my time, but I've never been so scared.

Was this on the N/M4? I was behind an articulated lorry at some stage yesterday and remember noticing the same thing, though I can't recall if it was a tanker.

About a week and a half ago I was on the same road and behind a blue passat being driven at speed. The rear left wheel was 15-20 degrees out from the vertical and consequently the car was travelling like a crab, the rear of it being completely out of step. It was that bad that he would almost have been leaving four distinct wheel tracks if travelling in a straight line. Bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Saw a flat-bed lorry with a totaly fecked chassis crabbing along a few weeks back, you'd think..ah sure we're in Ireland!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I would be delighted to get a W123 (if I used taxis). Much more character than the bland Jap imports.

Taxis are required to pass an NCT but I agree with standardising the car size. It's ridiculous that 4 door Fiat Puntos/Ford Fiestas can legally be used as taxis.

On the subject of mad cars to see as taxis, I saw one of these (could have been its close cousin as it looked like an older model) as a taxi in Galway during the week. Madness I thought :) imagine the mpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Volvoboy wrote:
    but as a taxi i dont think it would be too suitable.

if it has four doors and a roof it can be used as a taxi.

I can't think of a more suitable taxi than a W123 Mercedes. They make the W124 look thrown together.

kerbdog wrote:
    On the subject of mad cars to see as taxis, I saw one of these (could have been its close cousin as it looked like an older model) as a taxi in Galway during the week. Madness I thought :) imagine the mpg

They are available in 3 litre diesel so the mpg would be ok.

On the same subject see: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054965871

mike65 wrote:
    Saw a flat-bed lorry with a totaly fecked chassis crabbing along a few weeks back, you'd think..ah sure we're in Ireland!

Mike.

Shipping containers are supposed to be carried on the appropriate trailers with securing bolts. I have occasionally seen unsecured containers placed on ordinary flat bed trucks. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Volvoboy wrote:
    but as a taxi i dont think it would be too suitable

Why not, apart from lack of modern safety features?

There's a Greek taxi driver that put 5 million kilometers on his '76 240D (W123) :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Honestly the problem here is you are stalking her.

Report her to the carriage office.

Advertisement