Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL BB and Blocked Sites? Advice appreciated.

Options
  • 28-07-2006 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

HI all,
    Currently w/ Eircom broadband. I was thinking about switching to NTL's 6MB package (nice to have only one bill and no phone!).

NTL's package seems very attractive especially in contrast to what I'm paying now, but I'm wondering is it at the cost of anything else??

For example, do they have a list of banned IPs or do they block access to torrent sites etc. (Not that I d/load much anymore.. it's just nice to have the option.. Eircom never seem to give a s**t..Maybe others do?).

Also, as its through the TV cable, does this have any adverse impact on the quality of BB at certain times?
    Such as a BB issue when two TV sets (or set-top boxes) are going simultaniously, or vice versa, downloading large files having an impact on the picture quality.Maybe weather has an impact or anything else I may not have thought of? These are probably daft questions but I just need to ask them for my own piece of mind.. I've been with Eircom for 5 years+ and though I complain about their prices, I've never had connection issues or any other difficulties except paying the bill!

I've been contemplating this move for ages, and this post is my last query before I dive in using NTL completly (upgrading to the digital channels as well etc), so any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Q.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

The TV and the BB don't affect each other at all. Unless you have a weak signal in your house but they'll fix that anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

NTL don't block any IP's. All sites work perfectly and you even get a binary newsgroup server with them.

Yes, it comes over the TV cable, but it has no effect on the TV or vice versa.

BTW it is probably a good idea to get the NTL BB installed before cancelling Eircom, so that you have no downtime. Remember NTL gives you the first 3 months free, so it won't cost you anything extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Cheers lads.
    Yes, three free months means no isssues with changeover thankfully.
    Binary Newsgroup server sounds great... even though I don't know what it means. :)
    Thanks for your replies.
    Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

quintron wrote:
    Binary Newsgroup server sounds great... even though I don't know what it means. :)
    Oh I'm sure you'll soon find out! ;) And it is great alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

is there going to be a problem with me getting ntl max package(i assume over cable ) if i have sky digital(ie sattellite tv) do i have to have my tv with ntl to get their broadband ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

From NTL's site:
    8. Do I need to subscribe to cable TV to get ntl Broadband?
    Yes. However if you are not a current ntl TV subscriber, we may have a special offer for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bazpaul

Hey,

This is all good info. I was also thinkin of signin up to NTL. I would be an avid downloader/gamer and am interested in the 6mb line to pursue these interests! Does anyone know if theres is a download cap on NTL, and how exactly does it work. i.e Does ur internet simply stop once you reach the download cap? or slow down?

Also can u port-forward and use bitorrent to download?

Finally, i was thinkin of connecting two computers to the 6mb line and running games on both i.e BF2142. Would you recieve a perfect connection on both Pc's? Does the line split, effectively into two 3mb lines for each PC (although i have a feeling it doesnt work like that at all)

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement