Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What should I do when buying car

Options
  • 28-07-2006 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

I am going looking at a car tomorrow. Its a 95 primera...Anybody have experience with these? Are they a good car?

If I do decide to buy it I will give the guy a deposit tomorrow and collect next week but how can I protect my deposit? Do I get the tax book off him or something?

If the car was say 1000k in value, how much of a deposit should I give?

Cheers guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

junii wrote:
    If I do decide to buy it I will give the guy a deposit tomorrow and collect next week but how can I protect my deposit? Do I get the tax book off him or something?

The deposit is usually paid to show that you are genuinely interested in the car and to give you a few days to get your money sorted. If you decide later not to buy it, AFAIK the seller would be entitled to keep the deposit as he may have turned away other potential buyers in the interim. The seller may return the deposit if he/she wishes but I don't think you are entitled to it unless you discover that the sale is not above board etc. You can ask the seller to write out a simple receipt for the deposit that you have paid. it's unlikely that they will part with the tax book/cert.

If the car was say 1000k in value, how much of a deposit should I give?

Usually about 10% - €100 in this case. Don't offer a deposit unless the seller requests one or unless you are very interested in getting the car.

('1000k' is €1,000,000 - expensive for a '95 primera. I presume you mean 1k :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ditto all that!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

heh, yeah. 1k alright.

What should I get him to write on the receipt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The agreed sale price with the deposit paid and the date and his siggy.

€1000
    €-100 (deposit)
    ____
    €900

Date/Sig

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

deadly. thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement