Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing thermal paste

Options
  • 29-07-2006 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Is it ok 2 us nail varnish remover to remove thermal paste? :confused: It was all i could find. Its an alcohol something like meths. Already used it just wondering if its ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

should be alright but i heard there's something about scented ones that i'd be wary about.

nail varnish has the ingridient acetone which is the best remover of thermal paste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think it should be ok as long as its unscented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Thats what i thought. Dont think its scented. Did a great job on my nails :D

Edit: Just read bottle & it says with conditioner :eek:

Haven't put gpu in yet. gonna have 2 check if it works 2morro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

eh you should really get the nail polish remover that is 100% acetone, I wouldn't trust it if it has additives. Most pharmacists stock them, its where I got mine. You want something that will dissolve the paste and will completely evaporate afterwards, which pure acetone does (or rubbing alcohol) make sure the additives in the one you are going to use evaporate.

Don't think there's any conditioner in it really........smells like pure acetone.......i think its just a marketing ploy to trick women (no offence ladies)......Oh, and they're against animal testing also :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

If you know someone who works in a hospital then the alcohol swabs they use prior to injections work a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

you can get alcohol swabs in a pharmacy, cheaper to just use acetone and some Qtips though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

i've seen on a few other forums, people using iso-propanyl alcohol, to clean off the thermal paste. I'm not so sure about using nail varnish as it contains a lot of additives, which may leave deposits on the cpu.
    Also seen a few using Brasso to polish the underside of the heatsink/waterblock.
    Gives it a serious polishing altogether...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

any form of pure alcohol will work. i used 60 below vodka before. worked a treat. am trying to find out if the same stuff willwork in a watercooling system too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

I use iso-propanyl alcohol. My brother is a printer (as in runs a print press) and he grabbed a tiny bit of the stuff for me. He just put about an inch or two's worth into an empty coke bottle. The stuff is magic. You can see it evaporate before your eyes if you can get the reflection of a light in the surface you are cleaning. Could be difficult to get though...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's actually quite easy to get, I got a spray can of it in Maplins for a couple of euro a while back, comes with one of those long thin attachments aswell (like you always get with WD40) for delicate jobs like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Cool! Thats good to know! Does is spray out fast or at a nice slowish rate?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Depends on how hard you press on it, with the nozzle-tube-thingy attached and giving it a gentle push it only dribbles out. It'd still be quiet quick considering the size of a CPU but with a little practice squirt first (on something less valuable of course :) ) it'd be ideal.

Sent missis in2 chemist for acetone .... She got some looks when she said "i was making something at home and needed it". :D Should have got her to ask for a copy of the "Anarchists Cookbook" as well.

Advertisement