Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Cassells' Report and Broadband?

Options
  • 29-07-2006 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭

I heard on TV3 news this evening of broadband access being talked about in Peter Cassells report about the Corrib gas pipeline today. TV3's words were along the lines of that broadband connectivity would be provided in "all major towns in the region".

I know the source is ironic but it was the only one I could find quickly...
    http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/8547820?view=Eircomnet
    Mr Cassells advised that construction of the terminal and discharges when operational be closely monitored, and that services and employees are sought locally. He said Mayo should get a further gas supply and broadband because the Mayo-Galway pipeline has ducts in which the fibre optic cable could be laid.
    What does this exactly entail? Smells like fresh BS. At least Kiltimagh is not so far from backhaul:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

I heard on TV3 news this evening of broadband access being talked about in Peter Cassells report about the Corrib gas pipeline today. TV3's words were along the lines of that broadband connectivity would be provided in "all major towns in the region".

I know the source is ironic but it was the only one I could find quickly...
    http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/8547820?view=Eircomnet

What does this exactly entail? Smells like fresh BS. At least Kiltimagh is not so far from backhaul:p

Is this report availible for download anywhere?

MAINLY OFF Topic post

Yeah BS of the highest order ....... the only problem with the project is that its been processed onshore ...NOT that its coming ashore. This is been done for purely financial reasons. ($450 Million is a figure i have heard mentioned) As for the Broadband its just a play to get more leverage ....... if the processing is done offshore as shell got planning permission to do there would be no protests about the Gas line coming ashore. The Jobs for erris argument is also a red herring .....most of the men working on the pipeline and road construction ect are from outside the Erris area....... I cant see Broadband been delivered via the Corrib Gas Line for a LOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time if at all.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

That doesn't make a huge amount of sense really.

Ireland has absolutely no shortage of fiber backbone capacity for broadband we've loads of the stuff everywhere, more so than most countries.

However, we've very poor access to it for consumers.

It's a bit like having 8 lane super highways with 150mph speed limits on them but only on/off ramps at Dublin and Cork city centres via a series of convoluted traffic clogged roudabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This is nothing to do with whether Shell are in someone's back yard or if it is stuck somewhere off the west coast.

My point was that they are talking about broadband access when it will make not one iota of difference to poor PSTN wiring etc. It's just a vague promise of "the broadband" when all it will do is link 2 points with a nice fat cable and all the places in-between will not be even able to look at it, let alone at its benefits.

Fat chance of the houses and farmers alongside the route of this pipeline/fibre corridor/other duplication of resources being able to actually use the fibre.

It's more of Dempsey's spin. I was talking to a customer from Poland yesterday who explained how all telecoms companies can use the incumbent's ducting and how it takes between 6 and 14 hours to get broadband set up from the time it's ordered.

And Noel says we shouldn't be unduly critical of the "broadband" situation in this country. Go figure...

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

This is nothing to do with whether Shell are in someone's back yard or if it is stuck somewhere off the west coast.

My point was that they are talking about broadband access when it will make not one iota of difference to poor PSTN wiring etc. It's just a vague promise of "the broadband" when all it will do is link 2 points with a nice fat cable and all the places in-between will not be even able to look at it, let alone at its benefits.

Fat chance of the houses and farmers alongside the route of this pipeline/fibre corridor/other duplication of resources being able to actually use the fibre.

It's more of Dempsey's spin. I was talking to a customer from Poland yesterday who explained how all telecoms companies can use the incumbent's ducting and how it takes between 6 and 14 hours to get broadband set up from the time it's ordered.

And Noel says we shouldn't be unduly critical of the "broadband" situation in this country. Go figure...

I agree with you totally To_be_confirmed ..... its a BS thing thrown in to confuse and conceal the actual real issues in the Shell case ........and totally useless in the context of bringing BB to mayo as has been implied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Altreab wrote:
    ...it's a BS thing thrown in to confuse and conceal the actual real issues in the Shell case ........and totally useless in the context of bringing BB to mayo as has been implied.
    Princeton philosopher Harry G. Frankfurt's warning about the consequences dedicated bull****ters could have to face, should be brought to the attention of Peter Cassells:
    "For this reason, telling lies does not tend to unfit a person for telling the truth in the same way that bull****ting tends to. Through excessive indulgence in the latter activity, which involves making assertions without paying attention to anything except what it suits one to say, a person's normal habit of attending to the ways things are may become attenuated or lost."
    P.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Could be provided , I am sure Cassells did not set out to pimp vapour but hey TV3 'journalists' got their hands on it or were pointed to it by the department of Dempsey perchances. Do remember this is a Bord Gáis (aka Aurora Telecom) pipeline and nothing to do with Shell.
    All significant gas pipelines have fibre ducts but the BIG secret is that there is no fibre IN THE DUCTS as standard.

The new(ish) Gas pipeline between Dublin Galway Limerick, commissioned about 3 years back, has these ducts and no fibre in them .

The Mayo pipeline will be a spur off this fibreless Limerick Galway Dublin pipeline . They must run a fibre from Belmulet to Craughwell and then Galway, as a minimum. An Bord Gáis have given no assurances that they will ever do this .

HTH :(

Advertisement