Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen appliances

• 29-07-2006 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

Moving into a new house in a matter on 1-2 months if not less. We have come to the stage when we have to shop around for kitchen appliances. Namely, we need to get a fitted over, hob, fitted dishwasher and washing machine.
    I have checked Curry's, DID electrical and power city. Also, came across a company called Trading Post Appliances. their prices seem to be much lower than the ones in Dublin.
    Has anyone had dealings with them in the past and what happens when it comes to the warranty and servicing baring in mind that they are UK based

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Don't know about Trading post, but when we were buying appliances we went into Discount Electrical and they spent at least 45 mins with us going through the pros and cons of all the different appliances i.e. things like showing us where food traps in some makes of dishwasher, strongest hinges of oven doors etc. Stuff that no other retailer ever mentioned. We then drew up our list of appliances and shopped around for them. Hope this helps.:)

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Do-more wrote:
    Don't know about Trading post, but when we were buying appliances we went into Discount Electrical and they spent at least 45 mins with us going through the pros and cons of all the different appliances i.e. things like showing us where food traps in some makes of dishwasher, strongest hinges of oven doors etc. Stuff that no other retailer ever mentioned. We then drew up our list of appliances and shopped around for them. Hope this helps.:)

Just had a look at the web site of Discount Electrical. While they seem to have the basic stock, their prices are definitively higher than the ones in Tradingpost appliances. Might go down to their store and have a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

If you re-read my post you will see that I was not suggesting that Discount have the lowest prices, rather that their staff are very knowledgeable and pointed out various different things that we certainly hadn't considered. Another example is that with washing machines the number of perforations in the drum can be as important a consideration as the spin speed, i.e. you can have a gazillion rpm spin speed but if there arn't enough holes in the drum to let the water out then it's no advantage!

Finding the best value appliance is as much about functionality, reliability, durability and quietness of operation as it is about finding the cheapest price.

Go down to Discount and with there help make a list of the appliances that best suit your needs in your price bracket. Then go shop around to find the cheapest price for that particular make and model.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iplogger1

total aside .. What you've advised here Do-More reminds me of something a pal told me years ago regarding buying HiFi equipment. The saying was go over to Harry Moore's on Dawson Street (not in business any more perhaps) and get the load down on the specs from the sales reps (because they knew there stuff) but under no account buy there because they were more than a tad too expensive ! ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

just bought a 110cm electric double oven - glass ext hood, smeg double undermount sink & blanco spray head tap - and saved about euro1600.

ordered and received goods about 4 weeks later -1 week late due to the cooker !!

all items are perfect - cooker will be unwrapped tomorrow but well covered for shipping with no marks what-so-ever on outside of box.

I saved euro950 on the cooker alone -- :D -

got all these in www.trade-appliances.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Wow thats a nice saving, karltimber, will have to buy some kitchen applicance myself soon, cooker and fridge on their last legs:)

Anyhow, any idea where you stand with warrenty and repairs?

V.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think if you're buying gas appliances (eg cooker, hob) from the UK, make sure it has the flame failure devices. While it's law for Gas apps to have these devices over here, this is not the case in UK, which partly explains why they may have a wider choice and a bit cheaper.

Gas installers over here usually won't fit appliances without these FFD's.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

for some reason - fridges are cheaper here then in England :confused:

don't how why - thats what I noticed when searching .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

I used Trade Appliances too. Very good service and saved a load on Irish prices. Delivery was on time and in good condition. I bought Double Oven, Dishwasher, fridge, and hob (electric).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Seamus watters electrical in Newry are great value. They'll deliver in republic for freee, no recycling charge and you can really bargain with them. As far as I know there is no website so you'll need to take a trip up there or phone 028 3086 8296.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Trading Post appliances seem to do quite a bit of BAUMATIC stuff.
    I saw a good (or rather should I say nice) oven and hob and the prices are reasonable. I have not come across that brand here so was just wondering.
    The fitted dishwasher is going to be either Bosch or Neff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ardamane

regedit wrote: »
    Just had a look at the web site of Discount Electrical. While they seem to have the basic stock, their prices are definitively higher than the ones in Tradingpost appliances. Might go down to their store and have a look.

We have just moved into a new house and purchased all our electrical goods from Seamus Watters Electrical Newry, We had our appliances delivered free of charge. to Cork. Their after care service is better than any I have previously experienced. People should not worry about buying" over the border" . Their prices are extremely competitive

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement