Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibly unfair banning!

Options
  • 29-07-2006 7:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭

I have been banned for a week (from the poker forum) for this post
    No offence but you are an idiot who knows almost nothing about poker. You stupid donkey.
    id prefer not to have some little twerp without the faintest clue about poker posting the hands here and rubbing his metaphorical hands in glee because I didnt last very long. Now please crawl back under whatever rock you came from and die.

Just to add a bit of history; a few weeks ago Rooney Dives made it clear in several threads that he dislikes me for some reason. Nothing happened for a few weeks and then quite by chance I came across a post by him in the bad beat forum, where he had copied and pasted hand picked hands from a tournament I had played to make a fool of me. I responded that I thought it was quite rude of him to do so, I would certainly never post hands on these boards that other boards players had played without their consent. He is not only doing that, but doing it with the sole intention of insulting me.

I posted a response to his post, outlining the thought process behind the hands and pointing out that I thought what he did had been quite rude. He then responded to that which prompted my response which is above. At no point was I warned to be polite, and as I will now attempt to show I didnt personally abuse him. (well not enough to warrent a banning anyway!)

At one point he said "that style may work in cash games but not in tournaments". When referring to an ultra aggressive series of plays where I ended up all in a few times with the worst hand. The thing is this is actually the opposite of how poker works. In cash games this would be akin to setting your money on fire. And so I feel comfortable in saying that only a stupid donkey would say something like this. A donkey in poker is a player who often makes bad plays. All I am doing here is pointing out what he must be. I dont really feel this is a matter of opinion, or that its a matter of personal abuse. He simply is a donkey who has only a thin understanding of poker.

I regret callling him an idiot and accept that thats personal abuse, and whilst the second part of the quote certainly is over the top, I dont think it worthy of being banned for a week, especially given the provocation and lack of warning. Also he then made a further post where he contrasted our results which he had obtained from some site. This clearly shows what his intentions where the whole time, and I feel aggrieved that im not able to make a timely post in response to this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Well I don't know enough about poker to make me think that your post didn't deserve to make you banned considering the poker lingo. That post was simply verbal abuse imo.

I don't think it's a viable excuse to say that you hadn't been warned for mildly inflammatory remarks before you wound yourself up to the full-blown insult post. You may expect mods to control the flames but the mods expect the users not to start the fires.

It's just a week, it'll fly by.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Gordon wrote:
    Well I don't know enough about poker to make me think that your post didn't deserve to make you banned considering the poker lingo. That post was simply verbal abuse imo.

I don't think it's a viable excuse to say that you hadn't been warned for mildly inflammatory remarks before you wound yourself up to the full-blown insult post. You may expect mods to control the flames but the mods expect the users not to start the fires.

It's just a week, it'll fly by.

Thanks for the response. I only mentioned the warning because I was told in the pm that I had been warned - I didnt see any warning.

Im not complaining because I dont think Ill be able to go a week without posting in the poker forum, but I dont think the punishment is warrented given I was responding to someone who had started the whole back and forth with the sole intention of winding me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Well both sides are at fault tbh which is why you were both banned. You're right though, you were warned before you posted that post in the OP.

Gordon wrote:
    Well both sides are at fault tbh which is why you were both banned. You're right though, you were warned before you posted that post in the OP.

I hadnt seen that when I was replying to rooney. Anyway I can see im unlikely to get anywhere here. Thanks for your time anyway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Hi Hectorjelly,

I am subscribed to that particular thread so I read his original post and your reply. Although I personally agree with the spirit of your response to ROONEY_DIVES, the forums generally have strict rules on personal abuse. Basically this was the moderator's call and I'm not prepared to overrule that.

• Advertisement

Fair enough!

Advertisement