Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TomTom Navigator Ireland Maps?

Options
  • 29-07-2006 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

I have a Sony Clie PEG-TH55 PDA (PalmOS) with TomTom Navigator v5 software and UK maps. The GPS receiver is a separate bluetooth device.

The UK maps contain very a limited set of Irish roads. I have looked at the TomTom website and they don't list Ireland as one of their countries at all!

Does anyone know if I can get Ireland maps for TomTom Navigator v5 anywhere at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

they do which is the uk maps but fairly basic as you found out.they use teleatlas map database which is poor, would recommmend getting mapopolis or route 66 as they use navteq data which did a full survey of ireland last year.
    I just got mapopolis 2 days ago and was fairly impressed with it, good detail..no 3d though but overhead view is fine for me ,route 66 has 3d though AFAIK

damo

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

I did read that TeleAtlas planned to have full coverage of Ireland by the end of 2006 but there were doubts even in the particular article whether this would happen. I agree with Damo86 - Mapopolis is probably your best choice - the screen interface & presentation is a little basic but it's very fast, based on my own experience, and is good value for money - and are one of the few with PalmOS software.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

Thanks for the information. I'll look the mapopolis software. Although they seem to insist on selling all Western Europe as a single map pack - I'd prefer to just buy the ireland map.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I have a TomTom 910 and the coverage of Ireland is fine on it .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

My uncle just bought one of those TomTom One GPS' from Argos Dublin, and got a map of Britain.. when he pointed out he wanted an Irish map they directed him to www.mymemory.co.uk and told him he could buy an Irish map for a tenner... The only thing they sell there are blank memory cards!

Went to tomtom.com and they don't have Irish maps, only western Europe with NI, Dublin and major roads of Ireland (for an extra 60 quid). **** that, dumb Argos shouldn't be selling this trash over here when you can get a Garmin to do it all for less money. Avoid this crap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

capistrano wrote:
    Thanks for the information. I'll look the mapopolis software. Although they seem to insist on selling all Western Europe as a single map pack - I'd prefer to just buy the ireland map.
    True - but the other companies which sell just Ireland/UK charge £99stg for theirs (eg. Navigon 5). Destinator charges £99 for European coverage.

byrnefm wrote:
    True - but the other companies which sell just Ireland/UK charge £99stg for theirs (eg. Navigon 5). Destinator charges £99 for European coverage.
    couldn't agree more, in my eyes mapopolis are great value for money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 carl_czanik

Sharkman, where did you get the maps for Ireland on you tomtom 910? I'd like to them for a tomtom One I was given as a gift.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Sharkman, where did you get the maps for Ireland on you tomtom 910? I'd like to them for a tomtom One I was given as a gift.

They came installed on it , I'll have a look and see whch pack is installed later .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Is the tomtom map situation still the same or is it improved ?
    I am interested in the tomtom 910..
    From reading this is it possible to buy other maps that have better coverage? will the unit work with other maps ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

The latest version as of last week are 6.75. I have the version before that and they are just as good a coverge of Ireland as the Garmin Nuvi's (which supposedly have the most up to date maps)... Once I upload the 6.75's I don't see anything being better...

How do the updates work, as in are they expensive and what type of maps are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

damo86 wrote:
    they do which is the uk maps but fairly basic as you found out.they use teleatlas map database which is poor, would recommmend getting mapopolis or route 66 as they use navteq data which did a full survey of ireland last year.
    I just got mapopolis 2 days ago and was fairly impressed with it, good detail..no 3d though but overhead view is fine for me ,route 66 has 3d though AFAIK

damo

damo86 I always thought you were a long-term user of mapopolis.

I agree that mapopolis is a handy satnav app but you might note that it's being discontinued..
    there won't be any more updates for the existing mapping unfortunately.

I have tomtom navigator (western europe version that
    uses navteq) on a pda-phone now and this has full mapping.. very slick 3d interface but I have to admit it lacks a few of mapopolis' features e.g setting multiple waypoints, finding route from a position other than current one etc.

hi mkennedy

look at the date of that post!
    ive changed to symbian os phone(p990i) so cant use it anymore but
    ive heard and its sad to hear its discontinuing,its was simple..the way i like it.
    I'm now using route66 sometimes in my xda but would like to keep to one device.
    I had always dismissed tomtom cos of its coverage so i should get the western europe maps then?
    according to the website its shows the stand alone units (tomtom one etc) have full coverage but the mobile/pda packages dont????

damo
    EDIT..its all falling into place!!!!
    http://www.tomtom.com/products/section.php?ID=260&Section=391&Category=2&Lid=25

no irish maps?????

http://www.tomtom.com/products/section.php?ID=260&Section=391&Category=2&Lid=25#

but this one has but its twice as expensive..grrrr and i dont need a gps reciever(have one already!)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Forget the pic, it has Irish maps. I can even see the road name of an old bog road in Spanish Point...

Hi steve,
    If you have the time could you check this thread out.
    I am thinking about getting the tomtom 910 i think.. but I am at a loss as anyone i see on ebay seems to have the map that does not show Ireland..
    anyway here is the link and keep in mind I am brand new to satnav..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055081814

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

damo86 wrote:
    hi mkennedy

look at the date of that post!
    ive changed to symbian os phone(p990i) so cant use it anymore but
    ive heard and its sad to hear its discontinuing,its was simple..the way i like it.
    I'm now using route66 sometimes in my xda but would like to keep to one device.
    I had always dismissed tomtom cos of its coverage so i should get the western europe maps then?
    according to the website its shows the stand alone units (tomtom one etc) have full coverage but the mobile/pda packages dont????

damo
    EDIT..its all falling into place!!!!
    http://www.tomtom.com/products/section.php?ID=260&Section=391&Category=2&Lid=25

no irish maps?????

http://www.tomtom.com/products/section.php?ID=260&Section=391&Category=2&Lid=25#

but this one has but its twice as expensive..grrrr and i dont need a gps reciever(have one already!)

sorry damo.
    can't believe I didn't see the date.
    there's a thread over in gps as well about tomtom's teleatlas/navteq versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 tallman

I don't have a TomTom. Is it still possible to open OV2 files on a Mac or PC?

Advertisement