Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank transfer to UK account

Options
  • 29-07-2006 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

I need to transfer money (Nothing substantial, about 250euro) into a UK bank account. I know the person so security isint an issue. My question is, what details do I need?

I have the person's name, address, bank branch, ac number and sort code. Will this do?

Is it the same process as if I was doing a transfer to an other Irish account? Just go into the bank and give them details?

Also, how long should I expect the transfer to take? I have a 3rd level student account, will there be any additional fee's?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭RandomOne

You'll need their bank branch postal address, international reference for their branch and/or swift code (only they call it something else) Costs vary from bank to bank and whether you transfer to sterling here (you pay) or it's converted there (they pay)

Time varies between two working days and six - again depends on bank (here and there)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

2 Days? I doubt it, it's normally 5 working days, and costs €25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭RandomOne

As I said, it depends on the bank here and there. IF they're connected, it can take only two days. If I send money to my UK account (different bank entirely) it takes 4 days. If I send it to my Son-in-laws bank (connected) it takes 2. Coming back it takes 2 days from his account to mine and 6 days from my UK account to Irish. Guess whose account I use!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You will need their Bank name, bank address, BIC/SWIFT code and IBAN - the latter should be printed on their statements if they don't know it.

Any bank here should be able to send the money to the account with those details. As for the cost - we'll I'm with AIB and they only charge me the standard BIC/IBAN transfer rate of 75c (off-line) or 20c (online) for UK transfers - other banks may differ though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I make this transaction all of the time. You would be better off writing a cheque as the bank will charge you 7 or 8 quid for the transaction whereas the cheque would be free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

I think it is free to do AIB Paylink (Standard to UK) via their 24 Online Banking. Will take minimum 3-4 days. If it is Urgent Paylink, the fee is €12.70...

Mart

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thanks guys, ill pop into the bank tomorrow and see what they have to say for themselves :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

BuffyBot wrote:
    You will need their Bank name, bank address, BIC/SWIFT code and IBAN - the latter should be printed on their statements if they don't know it.

Any bank here should be able to send the money to the account with those details. As for the cost - we'll I'm with AIB and they only charge me the standard BIC/IBAN transfer rate of 75c (off-line) or 20c (online) for UK transfers - other banks may differ though.

I am with BOI myself and they require exactly the same details but it is free to me as I have an account with them. Cost otherwise is €0.50 according to their form. It takes two working days. It can cost €25 if you want to send it same day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I make this transaction all of the time. You would be better off writing a cheque as the bank will charge you 7 or 8 quid for the transaction whereas the cheque would be free.

Not true, maybe one bank does but not them all, NIB charge nothing and my English bank charge £7 if its less than £100, otherwise £2

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Turns out the guy finally registered a PayPal account :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

i just bank transferred some money to a uk acc and boi told me it was free.
    didnt ask how long it would take tough

Advertisement