Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best gig venue in town?

Options
  • 29-07-2006 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Pretty obvious really, where's the best venue for gigs in town? Is it the the newcomer the Boatclub, or the more established Warehouse? Do you dig the classical vibe that takes over St, Mary's Cathedral or rock out in Riddlers? Perhaps the Trinity Rooms, with the Green Rooms, the Courtyard and the club is beyond peer? Or should the Belltable hold more than a handful of music gigs a year?

Where's the best place for gigs in town? 20 votes

Dolans Warehouse
    0% 0 votes
    Dolans Upstairs
    70% 14 votes
    Boatclub
    15% 3 votes
    Riddlers
    10% 2 votes
    UCH
    5% 1 vote
    Trinity Rooms
    0% 0 votes
    Millenium Theatre
    0% 0 votes
    Belltable
    0% 0 votes
    Other (Wicked Chicken, St. Mary's Cathedral etc)
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

It all depends, UCH has amazing acoustics for the likes of Rod y Gab, St. Marys Cathedral is amazing for classical music, Wicked Chicken and the Boatclub can be really great too.
    The Warehouse though has done the most for music in the city and therefore should get the recognition it deseveres as being Limericks best venue, even though it all depends on who and what are playing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

definately the boatclub. dolans is ok but im kinda over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Boatclub does also have impressive range of imported beers for a small spot, but the soundsystem (well last Saturday anyway) is hit and miss, whereas the Warehouse has a top class sound system.

Boatclub does also have impressive range of imported beers for a small spot, but the soundsystem (well last Saturday anyway) is hit and miss, whereas the Warehouse has a top class sound system.

both venues are uncomparable in that sense..the boatclub as it is now is 1 year old next month whereas dolans is however much older and can afford a swanky soundsystem as they have the numbers (and they charge the earth) so have the revenue. the boatclub will one day have a better quality system but they've done the right thing by not buying it in the first year of trading...if they had closed they wouldve had a nice big system for what? it'll come right..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭The Long Fellow

I love the warehouse, go to gis there nearly every week.
    I've been to gigs at riddlers a few times and the boatclub, they are good,but the boatclub especially is very hard to pull a crowd at times and the bar service aint the best.
    I've seen a couple of bands in all three venues. especially a band called AntiProduct who would have been the best of the lot(the supported and played with marky ramone last august in dolans) and the riddlers gig was hoppin, but dolans still wins out for me.

Special mention for Trinity Rooms, i saw Fun Lovin' Criminals there during the srpingfest or whatever twas called. It was slightly small, but packed, and qa really great night, im not much of a fan of TR in general though.

Anyone going to Limehouse Lizzy next sunday nite in dolans? come on, its the bank holiday! they are the best Lizzy trib act.

SEE YOU DOWN THE FRONT!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Has to be the boatclub. great reggae thing last friday. Sound can be a bit dodgy there but staff are all sound out and no scum.none at all.
    Hate "tribute"acts. Just another way of saying we can play our instruments but we're too lazy to write our own music. Won't support them.

yeah, but if it weren't for trib acts i'd never get to hear the music of Phil Lynott Live & very very dangerous!

I like to go to Costello's too, bot a live venue really, but good music and a sound crowd. Termites really depends on the crowd. i've never seen a decent band there, but have had a few good nights.

It's a pity the Stool is gone, that was a pretty good venue at times, though it did become a dive in the last few weeks.

Are there any new undiscovered venues around?

Does the Impact theatre do gigs? I've never been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

yeah, but if it weren't for trib acts i'd never get to hear the music of Phil Lynott Live & very very dangerous!
    QUOTE]
    yeah I knida of know what you mean and there's plenty of bands i'd like to see that are no longer possible to see but a cover band are not going to even come close no matter how good they are.
    There's some great original bands in Limerick that just don't get enough support because people are too busy living in the past checking out the often dodgy cover bands on offer in venues all over the city. Limerick will never have a healthy music scene if people are still longing after dead bands. Music shold keep moving on not looking at the past!

Do you know the band The Fewer, The Better??
    Quality band.

• Advertisement

It begins and ends with the Hitchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Upstairs in Dolans is about the best of the smaller venues I reckon.The Boatclub has a good vibe sometimes,but is definitely hit and miss regarding the sound!

Even though the Hitchers are long gone,they'll always be remembered as limericks finest live band!

The scene isnt as healthy as it was before from my own experience. What with the demise of the Amc (proper) and the stool!

bobmeaney wrote:

The scene isnt as healthy as it was before from my own experience. What with the demise of the Amc (proper) and the stool!

What became of the AMC?

bobmeaney wrote:
    Upstairs in Dolans is about the best of the smaller venues I reckon.The Boatclub has a good vibe sometimes,but is definitely hit and miss regarding the sound!

Even though the Hitchers are long gone,they'll always be remembered as limericks finest live band!

agree with ya bout upstairs at dolans..but i still think they charge way too much for some of their gigs..they have to be making a killing with all the drink thats being sold

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Dolan's is the daddy no doubt about it.

Mick is as sound as the proverbial trout.

Amazing that Dolans can build such a great business so far from the city centre, when you see places like the Bank going under. I reckon if the Bank was just a late bar that had occasional gigs/free late bar upstairs it would be doing much better. Dolans have shown people will go out of the very centre for a good product.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The new Bedford Row shouold give a few good gigs outdoors

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Gotta be Dolans :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

What became of the AMC?

Well , just like the demand for original live music, they kind of fizzled out. They are officially still around in some form,but aren't actively promoting gigs.

The high stool was their base for quite a while, and I do recall quite a few memorable nights there :). But when it went to ****, they had to find a new venue and I dont think any other place quite captured the whole vibe of the scene that was around at the time.

Pity the AMC never took over the lease of the High Stool themselves. There's an awful lot of potential in that building (much like the Bank) but it's never really been properly managed, I suppose it's rep was so bad for so long it was going to be hard to shift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Was anyone else at the Fugazi gig in the Savoy a few years ago? That was such a savage gig... it must have been the pinnacle of the AMC's achievements

is there much chance of the Stool being revived?

Arlo Guthrie is coming to Dolans this month, could be great, ill be there.
    Assuming he'll be playin alot of woody songs + of course the one everyone will be there to hear!
    It's like goin to the proclaimers and not hearing the 'comeeriwancha' song! people demanding their money back.

is there much chance of the Stool being revived?

I think the building will eventually be reopened, though it's likely to be very different from the High Stool by the time it does. (well either that or a new paint job)

Advertisement