Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB in Swords

• 29-07-2006 1:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭

Quick question,

Ive bought a new house (1st one) and im living in Swords. I want to get a broadband connection - but i dont have a land line and dont want one cos she'll run up a massive bill.
    I will just be surfing the net, downloading songs and playing a bit of poker.
    I want something cheap and reliable - dont need massive download speeds or limits.

What are my options?

Cheers! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Depends where you live chief. If you are within 1km of the copshop in swords then clearwire is an option. IBB is also an option but theres the hassle of the antennae on the roof :eek:

Your best bet would be DSL and dont bother telling herself theres a landline in the gaff and just use it for BB ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Yeah, im within 1km of the copshop.
    If i get a land line i will have to pay line rental - which if i were only to use for broadband would make it that bit more expensive.

Are NTL supplying BB to Swords? What's their BB like? Is it reliable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Curran wrote:
    Yeah, im within 1km of the copshop.
    If i get a land line i will have to pay line rental - which if i were only to use for broadband would make it that bit more expensive.

Are NTL supplying BB to Swords? What's their BB like? Is it reliable?

No. NTL dont do Swords. Chorus do but they dont have BB enabled network there.

Go with a line rental / BB package from BT, best all round deal you are going to get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I'm in Boroimhe and I'm with IBB. On the airport mast I believe. They told me they're also putting a mast near the hotel in Airside.

I've been with them about a month and a half and my experiences are great. Fast up / down and no downtime. But loads of other users have had problems so it's up to you.

I also use voipbuster / voipcheap as they give free voip calls to various landlines around the world. My missus is a talker on the phone and this is currently working out great.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

I'm in Boroimhe and I'm with IBB. On the airport mast I believe. They told me they're also putting a mast near the hotel in Airside.

I've been with them about a month and a half and my experiences are great. Fast up / down and no downtime. But loads of other users have had problems so it's up to you.

I also use voipbuster / voipcheap as they give free voip calls to various landlines around the world. My missus is a talker on the phone and this is currently working out great.
    that mast is due to go up on top of the tulip inn hotel and has been due to go up there for the last 2 years, wheter if does go up or not is another thing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

The Tulip hotel hasn't been there for two years, so that's probably why it's not been up there .......:)

As NTL and Chorus are now the same company there may be some movement on the BB side of things, UPC the parent company are certainly making noises about expanding the networks..........but if you're in a hurry just go with whoever has the easiest get out clause time wise from contracts.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Cheers for the posts guys!
    Im in Boroimhe too so i will look into IBB.

Anybody else with any ideas or experiences?

Advertisement