Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alternator gone

Options
  • 29-07-2006 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Driving to gym today (blanch) and my wife to work (also blanch)... from westmeath. Anyway as i got to maynooth i noticed the battery light was on. Few mins later i noticed my ABS light and Air bag light were on? Then a few mins later the cd started to skip. I turned it off and i put on wipers.. they crawled along.. hmm.. after a while it was fine... then again it all happened.

As i got past lucan and up towards clonsilla (back roads) i started losing speed... more and more power went... wtf? So it could not just be a battery problem if it was all happening while driving.

Anyway i struggled and just as i pulled in to gym car park.. car died.. so we had to push it the rest of the way in and park it :D Lucky that.

Anyway called my dad and he came when i was done with gym. When i came out the car did start!! Though when i turned it off and back on it ticked over slower. He was sure it was the alternator thats gone. So anyway i drove it as far as phoenix park on way to palmerstown before it broke down again. So he towed... My god that was scary... being towed by a VERY short rope down Knockmaroon hill.. i did not have any real brakes!! Had to keep playing with handbrake.

Finally got there... Will have to wait till monday to sort.. now i need to get a bus home. Thankfully i have a work car waiting back home :D

I hope you enjoyed my story.. did not mean it to be a story...
    Anyway going to take it to some place in walkinstown where they do re-conditioned alternators. Almax... anyone know them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Almax Distributors
    Auto Electricians
    Rear 81 Cromwellsfort Road, Dublin 12.
    Tel: 01 450 6216

Speedy overhauls of dynamos/alternators/starters as well as all the usual stuff like fault finding, battery charging etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Thats the one... i do have a golden pages :D My dad uses them
    Bad weekend for family.. at least i only have a new alternator to get.. parents had gas leak and need new boiler... 3.5k or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sure it's not just a snapped drivebelt or loose connector?

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

not the belt no... its there and nice and tight.. not slipping.
    Whats happening is im running off battery.. when the battery dies the car does.. alternator not doing a damn thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

I got an alternator of mine recondtioned in Blanch Auto Electric in Blanchardstown. I really recommend them as they did a great job and it was clear they took pride in their work as not only did they replace the regulator and rectifier but they cleaned it and painted it too. I find attention to detail like that is rare these days. It was only 60 euro too, so not a rip off like most things in Ireland are.

Wish I had taken a before pic, but here's a pic of it after having been reconditioned:

reconditioned_alternator_magneti_ma.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement