Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Thread

Options
  • 29-07-2006 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Super Drogs!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

i started to add some of the text from the drogheda thread but got distracted. will try later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

i think this sums up our fine town :rolleyes:

hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Start the ball rolling. Here's the Wikipedia entry for Drogheda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drogheda

hi, Was thinking of moving to drogheda whats it like to live there. I have two kids 11 and 8 live in the country at the moment but want to move closer to work. Is it an ok place to live much to do for kids and adults? would be grateful for any advise where not to look etc.
    thanks
    gonk

thanks dingatron

• Advertisement

posted by Etho
    I moved to just outside Drogheda from Belfast when I was 13, it's alright, used to be awful when I was a teenager but it's changed a lot since then, and there's a HUGE amount of development happening there at the moment. All the building work you may have seen at the docks is Scotch Hall, it's a huge new complex - shopping centre, new cinema, nightclub.

As regards where to live, I live on the south side which is all mostly nice, if expensive. I don't know anything about the Northside of town, there are some nice town houses in the Sienna development in the town itself, it's an enclosed complex (former convent).

There are good schools, sacred heart is the best girls' school iirc, and St Mary's the best boys. Then you have Drogheda Grammar which is a fee paying school. I went to St Olivers which is a community college but its fantastic - if you want to work. They have a really large range of subjects for leaving cert, but they don't really push you academically. It has a really good reputation for artists and sportsmen (there are a couple of guys on the Irish soccer squad who went to the school).

I can't really think of anything else to say

Posted by klong

the estates on the dublin road are the most expensive (up to e450,000 for a brand new house) but also the best ones to buy. people here do their shopping in swords/blanchardstown/liffey valley.
    avoid places like moneymore and laurences park. cheap houses, high crime imo.
    plenty of sports clubs, depending on where you live there you could play for a meath or louth GAA club.
    loads of schoolboy soccer and theres drogheda united to watch on a friday night.
    tennis club in bettystown.
    plenty of golf.
    schools? marys only, iirc, take boys from the southside, josephs only from the northside, sacred heart girls from south, greenhills north. ollies and grammar school take anybody, from anywhere. primary schools have gotten very big (population-wise) very quickly and i wouldnt be surprised if theres waiting lists.
    drogheda accent is horrible, avoid if you can. i hate the place.

thanks lads have 2 girls was looking at houses in grange rath thought estate was too big really 5 oaks house too small (gosh im picky)on the southside and riverbank near the toll bridge dont really know anything about it. Accent doesnt bother me really they have a laois accent mixed with a kildare accent and a dublin accent poor things.
    any more info really thankful
    gonk

klong

youre right about grange rath, the estate is going to become a jungle.
    same with wheaton hall down the road, both built by shannon homes, whove built hundreds of houses in drogheda in the past 10 years. across from five oaks is stameen, quiet place, same guy built five oaks. not many cars and plenty of green areas.
    shopping wont be any good until scotch hall is finished (perhaps anothers year- 18 months)

seems a bit out of date now that scotch hall is finished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

"the estates on the dublin road are the most expensive (up to e450,000 for a brand new house) but also the best ones to buy."

ahahahaaaaaa.....

oh cmon...

im proud to say im a northsider!

All those estates out there on the dublin rd. seem so generic and lacking character, in one of the most built up, predictable locations in town..

but then again most estates are, its just there that theres so many of them close to each other in that particular area..

meh.. whatever youre into

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

i put the drawda thing into the drogheda wiki entry

just thought id let ye know

also this was a far better entry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Rockerette wrote:
    All those estates out there on the dublin rd. seem so generic and lacking character, in one of the most built up, predictable locations in town..
    Drogheda, Co. Meath; theres no better place to be ;), although we still can't get broadband :mad:
    Garret wrote:
    i put the drawda thing into the drogheda wiki entry

just thought id let ye know
    Credit were its due, its a very good entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

there's a thing at the top of the wiki entry saying Drawda doesnt conform to pronunciation standards. Boo wiki

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

delly wrote:
    Drogheda, Co. Meath; theres no better place to be ;), although we still can't get broadband :mad:

Credit were its due, its a very good entry.

Yeah you can :confused: Digiweb and perlico have been providing broadband on the dublin road for a good few months. (dsl before you ask)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Yeah you can :confused: Digiweb and perlico have been providing broadband on the dublin road for a good few months. (dsl before you ask)
    Not in Grange Rath tho' :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Squaddy

I went to da witty, played snooker, walked down to Scotch hall, boyizzz, alked across the towne, walked through the shopping centre, down to mcdonalds, then did another couple of laps of west street then went to Scotch hall did a few laps of scotch, then went back up da witty. Did another few laps of the towne. Very exciting towne this is.
    hier yu yungfela wah did ya do??

(sorry im bored)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

LMAO at Squaddy.

I did **** all today, but yesterday I went into work to sort out when my training starts, then came home, went for a spin back into drogheda with a few friends, McDonalds, drove around for a while, then home.

Oh what fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

gonker wrote:

totally incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

totally incorrect.

EIN can you be a bit more specific about your comment. What's totally incorrect?

Oi Dingatron behave yourself :D:D they were talking about the dots at the start of the thread :D:D

Advertisement