Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

looking for a flat screen tv.

• 29-07-2006 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭

righto,

we are doing up our sitting room at the moment and my dad wants to get a flat screen tv and i said i'd source one for him because he'd end buying some obsolete piece of crap that wouldn't have HD.

so basically i have a few requirements...

* would like the tv to be 32" or bigger.
    * the tv will more than likely wall mounted over a gas fire built into the wall.
    * would obiviously have to be HD compatible
    * have more than one HDMI connection (this is probably unfeasible atm)
    * i see myself getting a ps3 in the future and heard that 1080p is best format to play on so i would like this aswell.
    * sky (just normal sky no skyHD) will have to be compatible aswell.
    * also since it's his purchase and his fear for the internet (:rolleyes: i know i'm trying to work on it) he wants to buy in a bricks and mortar shop.

he says he'll pay about 2-3k but surely 3 grand is a bit excessive.

i'm also not sure whether to go LCD or plasma.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Cremo wrote:
    anyone?

there are zillions* of threads similar to this.
    L.

oh, and check out www.avforums.com

*actual amount may vary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

id be suprised if youll pick up a 1080p tv for less then 3 grand. Especially in a store. You may online, Im not sure...

They are rare at the moment.

But for 3 grand you'll get a lovely 1080i tv...

Ive a samsung lcd myself that im mainly happy with although it only has 1 HDMI port. If you want to get a tv for the ps3 you may want to look for one with 1080p and a HDMI 1.3 port. The ps3 will support version 1.3 also (higher bandwidth rate)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

All versions of the HDMI specification support 1080p up to 60hz , there is nothing special about HDMI 1.3 in this regard ,

However 1080p sources are rare ,

Source ,

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/news/020506hdmi/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Cinemaworks

HDMI cabling and panels that support 1080p are two totally different things.

there are very few panels that support 1080p all of which I have installed and they come with a pretty price tag, but an amazing picture.

and cremo, LCD or Plasma? I would go Plasma all the way..

• Advertisement

mathias wrote:
    All versions of the HDMI specification support 1080p up to 60hz , there is nothing special about HDMI 1.3 in this regard ,

However 1080p sources are rare ,

Source ,

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/news/020506hdmi/

no it makes no difference to the res but supposedly might make a difference in colour delivery. Also some reports on the web of 1.3 devices looking a little snowy on earlier 1.2 HDMI ports - Mentioned on the Inquirer recently but dont recall the link. Hopefully they'll resolve this though since the vast majority of current sets at the earlier HDMI spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Bricks and Mortar shop ehhh....

PEATS:

How's about a 42" Panasonic for under €2300
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=9402&type=6&path=10x4117x4118

Not too sure if this model is brand new or not other boardsie might clarify but from what I hear Panasonic make excellent Plasmas

Power City:

40" Samsung 40R74 ....€ 2144.95
    http://www.powercity.ie/test.asp?par=10-12-40R74

I have a Samsung and I think they're great value for money.
    R7 means its the most recent Panel and you can haggle for the price in Power City.

Richersounds:

Or you could go to Belfast for a Pioneer

http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/categorydetail.asp?ObjectID=0&Mode=0&CategoryID=6&Sub=43

If Branners is around he can recommend them.

Good luck

Q

was looking at the samsung R74 alright. saw it in DID in bray for €2200 i'll pop round the corner to power city to see what they could do for me.

right so 1080p is rare now, so will the ps3 still play and look good on other modes like 1080i/720i/720p all of which i'm sure the R74 does if i'm correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Cremo wrote:
    was looking at the samsung R74 alright. saw it in DID in bray for €2200 i'll pop round the corner to power city to see what they could do for me.

right so 1080p is rare now, so will the ps3 still play and look good on other modes like 1080i/720i/720p all of which i'm sure the R74 does if i'm correct.

R7* supports the following:

480p, 720p, 1080i, 480i, 576i, 576p

1080p would be better but I'm sure either of the 2 above will be good.

Only has 1 HDMI I think but you can get HDMI switches if you get extra components.

Also, if you go to the Pwer city website and fill in a form about the TV you want they usually ring you back within an hour and give you their best price and tell you if it is in stock - very handy.

Keep us posted

Q

right so,

i think we'll go for the R74 it looks good.

having only one HDMI is ok wasn't essential to have more but as you said i can get HDMI switches (guessing these just plug into the one HDMI socket and give you 2/3/4 HDMI sockets?).

just waiting for the carpenter to build out the wall unit so we can then buy and install the tv, hopefully by the end of the week.

• Advertisement

I have an R73 but the its basically the same as the R74 - think its just the case colour. Nice enough LCDs... Think you'll be happy with it - decent response and colour. Does black ok for an lcd.

Small bit of ghosting when playing low quality or older dvds but nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Cremo wrote:
    right so,

i think we'll go for the R74 it looks good.

having only one HDMI is ok wasn't essential to have more but as you said i can get HDMI switches (guessing these just plug into the one HDMI socket and give you 2/3/4 HDMI sockets?).

just waiting for the carpenter to build out the wall unit so we can then buy and install the tv, hopefully by the end of the week.

Any chance of a few pics when done?

I always like to see other peoples installs.

Sparky-s wrote:
    Any chance of a few pics when done?

I always like to see other peoples installs.
    aye, i'll get some pictures up when it's installed.

have to say i'm actually quite surprised and happy at my dad's decision to buy an lcd tv. it's totally unlike him to spend any money he's like one of them people who will wear clothes until there's only a thread left.

Cremo wrote:
    aye, i'll get some pictures up when it's installed.

have to say i'm actually quite surprised and happy at my dad's decision to buy an lcd tv. it's totally unlike him to spend any money he's like one of them people who will wear clothes until there's only a thread left.

I can well understand.While some will not say upgrade a mobile phone, aswell as not know how to use one at the same time. You would be supprised how much they know about things like the LCD's.( I reckon it's because the local pub has one) :)
    Except it's all "Can I get one of those flat screen yolks for the sitting room for the football"
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭plenderj

I'm putting a telly into my own apartment and am considering the 40r74

well bought the tv yesterday, it's killing me cause the room isn't finished yet and we can't use the tv anywhere else.

sky are coming on the 18th to install sky+ so hopefully everything will be finished by then. (plasterer to come, then painter).

finally it's up on the wall, took about 2 hours to understand the bracket.

room isn't finished, floor needs to be sanded, gas fire in etc.

sky coming tomorrow to stick in sky+ just in time for the football.

screen looks great had rocky playing on it there.

pic's tomorrow when i'm not wrecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I'd also like to see how it looks, any sign of the pic's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

pics please!

i'll get pic's up tomorrow, room still not finished floor still to be sanded, sky guy coming out to have a look tomorrow, painter taking his god damn time.

turning into a bit of a nightmere, but sure it has to be done :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Found this thread because I am looking into plasma's at the mo. Same as yourself Cremo. Another Bray Dad expressing an interest in those flat screen thingies. I'll be needing 2 though. Mother has decided she wants one in the Kitchen too. Currently Dad has a 32in Sony WS CRT in the Living room and Mum has a 28in Philips WS CRT in the Kitchen. Lucky their ssia's are in!

Anyway thats not really the point. I just noticed the Peats links and it reminded me how they are the biggest Shower of Robbers on the face of the earth. 42in PV60 for 2700. Komplett have its better specced sibling the PV600 which is supposed to be about 400 euro dearer for 2600. Peats are selling the Panasonic AE900 Projector for 2299. Komplett are selling it for 1299!!!

Where's those pics? :)

Advertisement