Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The bands are back

Options
  • 29-07-2006 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

The bands strike back by big public demand

DESPITE the results of a recent survey that recorded substantial local approval for the May Bank Holiday weekend Riverfest, the absence from this year’s St Patrick’s Day festivities of the International Band competition went down like a lead balloon.

City councillors were unanimous in their condemnation of the organisers for pulling the band festival, which over the years drew increasingly big crowds, not just from the city but from towns and cities nationwide. And they were very critical of not being consulted prior to the decision to scrap the event.

Good news, therefore, is confirmation this week that the popular band competition is to return as a stand-alone event on the Sunday following St Patrick’s Day next year.

Announcing the development, the Limerick Co-Ordination Office said that the competition had not been held this year due to a dramatic drop in the number of bands competing, following on the 9/11 attack on New York in 2001.

"The Springfest organisers decided it was not economically viable to run two separate events and with the big fallout of bands competing, the Band Competition was dropped, which proved a huge disappointment to most Limerick people and there was a consequent public demand for the return of the event as a stand-alone parade,” said the city co-ordinator, Andrew Mawhinney.

"We’ve re-examined and reviewed the festival and now believe that the International Band Competition can be restructured as a stand-alone parade - we believe it can be rebuilt with a strong business model that will make it economically viable,” he added.

Mr Mawhinney said he is fully confident that the Springfest event management company, Eightball Promotions and Media (EPM) will deliver two quality programmes for the St Patrick’s Day Parade and the International Band Competition.

Acknowledging the popularity of the band competition with the people of Limerick EPM spokesperson, Keith Pigott said it had made a valuable contribution to Limerick over the years.

"We’re looking forward to developing the competition and restoring it as one of the premier band events in the world,.”

Perhaps mindful of the spate of public criticism that erupted, when earlier this year it was revealed that the band competition was to be pulled, Mr Pigott said: "All festivals go through an ongoing development and Springfest is no different. We tried some new ideas this year and as a result of that we now have the Pery Square Fair and next year we’ll combine the successes of last year with some of the older traditions to make Springfest a festival for everyone to enjoy - central to that will be the return of the International Band Competition to the glory days of 2000 when over 30 bands marched in the parade.

"We have already made contact with international bands, mainly in the US and are hoping that there will be at least 10 of these taking part in next year’s competition. Our aim is to also have 10 Limerick bands as well as 10 bands from various parts of Ireland taking part in the competition.,” he said..

Pointing out that next year St Patrick’s Day will fall on a Saturday, he said the parade that day will be followed by the Pery Square Fair and that the International Band Competition will take place on the next day, Sunday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I saw some incredible drummers up in the Arts parade in Galway, really colourful too, these guys should be invited down and bring a bit of life into the event. Too often it was just marching bands and kinda the same old stuff over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

it was interesting reading that after kind of knowing what went on behind the scenes with the whole bands thing. councillors unanimous? thats a bit of a stretch saying that (ie a bit of a lie) but typical of the limerick leader unfortunately who were not at all supportive of the springfest or riverfest.

the council took so long to "decide" what to do about the whole band thing that it was too late to get enough bands together to make it worth it. there was a lot of politiking by some councillors with regards to springfest..dont you love politicians? ;)

I think the real "blame" lies with David O'Donovan, he wanted to try something new. It was an experiment worth trying, and as the articles says, the Pery Sq. Fair might become a regular feature aswell as the Band Comp.

Article is from the post, not the leader, but your right, the leader hates Limerick,

i think placing all the blame on dave is a bit harsh maybe.sure he's the "head honcho" so to speak, of eightball but all three of them make the decisions.bear in mind also that the limerick co-ordination office and the council still have a say in what happens (they provide the money after all). eightball facilitate what actually happens.

good old limerick leader eh? :) first to shoot down anything that they personally dont like. it seems that unless you're in the editors pocket you dont have much of a chance of getting an article or even a pic in there (and i think also that they have some responsibility in how limerick is portrayed to those outside the city but thats a whole other thread! :) )

Like I said, it was an experiment worth trying, things had to be shaken up and I think Dave O'Donovan has done some great stuff already.

I've plenty of problems with the Leader, I've started a few threads about them already. It's a negative rag that runs this city down at any oppurtunity, although, things have improved slightly since the Limerick Independant came on the scene and gave them some fresh competition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Yeah, it wasnt David at all... the council took money from springfest and put it into riverfest.... It was either a band parade or st patricks day parade, the fair almost paid for itself (the market that was there on the saturday, and the ones who came along again on the sunday had to pay to be there) and the parade also works off sponsership, it may come as a surprise but the most expensive event is the band parade because it isnt commerical!

I think it was €40,000 to stage it every year or something... which is incredible, I dont see what the big deal ever was ... there were three less bands when they mixed the parade to the year before. And then no-body showed up to the bands the next day, only a few thousand whih winded down to a hundred or so...

I didnt really see what the fuss was about, it was three less bands then the year before!!! And everyone said that it made the patricks day parade alot better by having so many bands (better then it would have been anyway).

Eightball are doing a great job, its great to see people who actually want stuff to happen in this city rather then just want to get paid for organising it all! They had 6 weeks to pull springfest together, 8 weeks for riverfest and now a year to organise the next two, cant wait to see what they come up with!!!!

oh, for sure. its just hard to get things done sometimes in limerick especially with festivals (did you hear about the change of route for the parade debacle? some people get their knickers in a twist :) ) and with the band parade, its hard to have it around st patricks day as bands really want to play in dublin first off so theirs a lot of competition getting them anywhere else. hopefully it will go a bit better next year. the lads have a real ambition to make the band parade the best one in ireland, as the dublin parade is scaling down the participation of bands.

totally agree with you re: the leader. i barely read it but there's not much option sometimes..sometimes im like "are the editors constantly in foul moods or what?" its good that there are a couple more papers coming up to give readers more options..

I think Riverfest was a success in the pubs, it's hard when the outdoor entertainment is so dependant on the weather.

For next years Riverfest I would love to see the re-introduction of a Shannon swim, it's been gone for 30 or so years but with the main drainage the ater should be swimmable within the year.

I have a project for Riverfest I'm thinking of running by Dave next week, hopefully it'll go well.

definately. and saturday was such a hit. unfortunately the sunday was so so ****e (i had great fun trying to be enthusiastic in the rain that day...not!)

the lads definately know that they need to have a few more back up plans for if/when the weather turns nasty.

dave should be fairly chilled out seeing as summer is pretty quiet..but make sure you are SUPER organised cause he can ask fairly pointed questions!! :) good luck with it!(id love to hear what it is :)..dont worry, i wont share it round!)

The plan is very much in the rough stages Ellen, but hopefully I'll be able to meet Dave during the week and if he gives the go ahead, open the plan to public discussion. It's only a simple, small thing, but done well could be a bit of craic.

I've heard about the pointed questions, hopefully I'll be able to answer them.

• Advertisement

fair enough!

he is sound though like and quite nice (he kind of scared me though the first time i met him). you'll be grand like..good luck :)

Advertisement