Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Private or through dealer

Options
  • 29-07-2006 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Which is the best way to go for a second hand?

Isn't it really risky going private?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Buying private is only 'risky' if you don't do your homework (i.e. research what faults the particular model may have, do a finance/history check...), or don't get the vehicle properly checked over (by a mechanic/panel beater who knows their stuff!) before buying.

I have always bought private (bar the one time I have purchased a new car to date - 1997 Civic). However I do have the benefit of being able to check out cars myself, having worked in the Motor Trade for six years.

Buying private also (usually) means getting a better deal than you would through a garage.

Silvera.
    (Ex-Panel Beater)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

If you don't know a mech/panel beater though how do you go about getting one to come with you to look at a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Give them €20 and throw them in the back of the car :confused:

(I presume so anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

junii wrote:

It really depends also on your budget. From your previous threads your budget seems to be in or around the €2k mark.

The only real reason people go to a dealer is for the peace of mind that comes with a warranty.

For someone on your budget there really is no benefit in buying from a dealer as anything they have for this amount will more than likely be rubbish. They will not offer you any warranty with these cars so the same risk applies as buying from a private seller.

As with buying any car, have the car checked out by an expert. Surley someone in your family or a friend of a friend knows an independant mechanic who for a small fee can give the car the once over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Well buying Private is ok.

I bought my last car privately although I know what to look out for and I took my GF's father and his friend with me, both big lads. Scary the crap out of ya.

But if you get a receipt and later found out that there is something wrong with the car you have a legal right to return the car and get your money back UNLESS the receipt says "SOLD AS SEEN".

Not many people who this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

no comeback on a private sale, receipt or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

bazz26 wrote:
    It really depends also on your budget. From your previous threads your budget seems to be in or around the €2k mark.

The only real reason people go to a dealer is for the peace of mind that comes with a warranty.

For someone on your budget there really is no benefit in buying from a dealer as anything they have for this amount will more than likely be rubbish. They will not offer you any warranty with these cars so the same risk applies as buying from a private seller.

As with buying any car, have the car checked out by an expert. Surley someone in your family or a friend of a friend knows an independant mechanic who for a small fee can give the car the once over.

I probably could find one but could have to go to see 2 or 3 different cars and each of them could be an hour away...or anythin...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Depends what you are doing. I have always dealt with dealers - you always know where to find them if things go wrong. For me personally selling or buying privately is not worth the hassle, unless it's a relative and/or you can get the car checked out. Dealers can also offer much more choice if you are changing a car. It is so much easier to pop, in hand over one set of keys and get another set in its place.
    But as always caveat emptor (buyer beware).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

junii wrote:

Generally, its riskier going with a dealer.

A private seller won't know how to disguise a problem, while a dealer will have a bad car all dickied up in a way that will just about outlive your guarantee.

(They're not all ba~tards but it can be expensive finding the 1 in 100 who isn't)

Advertisement