Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need to hire a van/truck... HELP!

Options
  • 29-07-2006 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

Can anyone give me a few tips on how to go about hiring a large van or a small truck for a couple of days.
    (Hubby and myself are moving house from one end of the country to the other this week! :eek: :eek: :eek: )

Ideally hire it in Limerick and drop it back in Dublin... can this be done? :confused:

Trying to check out companies on the internet but would be thrilled if someone could recommend somewhere... please!

Thanks a mill! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Homer.sim

hi you can rent from enterprise and collect at one drop off at another they are average price

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

www.vanrentals.ie are cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thanks! :D

Wondering now if hiring a man and a truck could cost around the same. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You could be lucky... there are probably truckers on this site. Maybe someone goes to Limerick on a regular basis with a load before coming back to Dublin empty... slip him some money and they might do a nixer. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Saruman wrote:
    You could be lucky... there are probably truckers on this site. Maybe someone goes to Limerick on a regular basis with a load before coming back to Dublin empty... slip him some money and they might do a nixer. :D

It's quite unusual not to have a backload but I'd go with the idea anyway.

I know this probably sounds obvious but if you are hiring a self drive large van (i.e. over 3,500 kg GVW) you will need a C1 licence. If it's over 7,500kg GVW you will need a C licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Why not just engage a removals company, if you want both the van/truck and the driver? Easier than trying to hire the van/truck and then trying to find somebody to drive it. Would also be mega complicated insurance-wise for the vehicle rental company.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Hubby has a C licence so that's not a problem.

The problem is that he is determined now that we do it ourselves... :rolleyes:

I'm on 2 types of herbal valium stuff and emercency essence AND rescue remedy!!!

And worse, we'll be moving AGAIN within the year hopefully when we buy our own place...

oh, I'll be on Guinness later tonight too! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

wyndham wrote:
    Why not just engage a removals company, if you want both the van/truck and the driver? Easier than trying to hire the van/truck and then trying to find somebody to drive it. Would also be mega complicated insurance-wise for the vehicle rental company.

my sentiments also tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If you rent a truck over 3.5 tonnes then you will have to provide your own insurance. Most rental companies will only supply insurance on vehicles of 3.5 tonnes or less.

I use AVIS Truck and Van Rental (01 409 7590 or 021 428 1100) anytime I rent. They do an offer for the weekend where you get the van for 3 days but only pay for 2. But I don't think they do one way rentals. Check out their fleet here > http://www.jpmg.ie/avis_truck_van_rental.htm You can't make an online reservation though.

Next best would be Enterprise as mentioned earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I've used enterprise twice for a house move, a long wheelbase, high roof transit each time. They were the cheapest for one day rental at weekend, I did haggle though and it worked so don't be afraid to try.

Advertisement