Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Daewoo Lanos

Options
  • 29-07-2006 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

thinking of buying a 00 Daewoo Lanos just looking for advice as I know nothing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Apart from dodgy fuelpumps and camshafts they're not a bad car, same engine as an Opel Astra.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Best bit of advice would be to find someone who knows their stuff and bring them with you when viewing. I find clutches to be iffy on them, apart from that they're fairly sound. treat as an Opel.
    try and get the half-decent spec, the one with colour coded bumpers, as the base model is very basic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Sid Deuce

Ok ..

You are getting very good value for money as a second hand car. They give little or no trouble and their parts prices are very competitive. Alot of the Lanos parts prices are being massivly reduced at the moment and over the past 6 months. And they are more or less the old opel engine.

Make sure it has a full service history. As some one mentioned above, camshaft issues. It is not that they are the issue but irregular servicing is causing the issue*

Check the Air bag light is not on or covered. That could mean a new SDM.
    The fuel pumps, like most cars do go after 4-5 years. About 120 ex VAT to buy.

Clutches have never been a problem. And if the Car is from the West you might need a new wiper linkage at some time. Lots of rain.

Is it a hatch or saloon you are looking at?

Also is it a S or SE. The S does not have ABS where as the SE does. I think in 00 they came with front elec windows too.

*to help with modern fuel efficency etc cars these days are made from light alloys where possible so were as in the past in an 86 ford you could skip services etc these days you need to do them as regulalry as possible as the wear and tear on the camshaft makes it go pop...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

not sure if it's an s or se, saloon and it's not from the west - it's either that or a renault megane 99

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

IMHO, buy the Megane, its the safer car. The Lanos is basically an old Opel Kadett developed in the 1980's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I think the Lanos was a brand new design when introduced in the late 90s. Also it did quite well in EuroNCAP.

Its predecessor the Daewoo Nexia was a clone of an 80s Opel Kadett alright

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Just have a quick look under the bonnet...still the old 1.4 Opel engine, front suspension, steering, rear axle....its like an 80's revival show.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cosmo K wrote:
    IMHO, buy the Megane, its the safer car. The Lanos is basically an old Opel Kadett developed in the 1980's.

I think you're confusing it with the previous generation Nexia.

Meganes aren't nearly as reliable either. apart from the safety advantage newer ones have, there's little to reccomend.

(doesn't the megane share a lot of mechanicals with the 19?)

Advertisement