Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What memory??

Options
  • 29-07-2006 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

I'm at the moment very interested in building my own pc. What i am going for is a Pentium D805 and overclocking it with the aid of a watercooler. But i am very new to all this and what i can't figure out is what memory would be best to complement the D805 running at 4 GHz. They all have different speeds and such, and i am at a loss as to which to get.

The following setup is what i am hoping to achieve..
    Pentium D805
    Asus P5WD2-E mainboard
    2 gig of RAM
    ATi X1900XT gfx
    Western Digital 320GB
    500 watt psu
    16x dual layer dvd writer

..and a good watercooler
    The above is subject to a lot of change i'd say, as i'd be doing a lot of shopping around for a good deal.

Also would two 160Gb drives in a RAID 0 setup be better than the single 320 Gb drive
    Any advice would great, so hope to hear from ye soon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Check this out. Anandtech used 667mhz ram while testing oc'ing:
    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2671&p=4

Got some 4 sale in adverts if ya interested: ;)
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270013109115&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=017
    Need cash, credit card maxed out.

Yes 2 160gb drives in raid 0 would be faster but you got the risk of loosing all if a drive fails. I'm goin for raid 0 in my new rig, only worth it if you are willing to take a risk. Raid guide:
    http://www.futuremark.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265

Sorry, i know SFA bout watercooling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

not sure about memory, but if you are going to the expense of that graphics card and water cooling wouldn't it be better to wait for conroe? ( it's ment to be a great overclocker)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

not sure about memory, but if you are going to the expense of that graphics card and water cooling wouldn't it be better to wait for conroe? ( it's ment to be a great overclocker)

Yeah i was thinking the same, but the d805 is 220 euro cheaper than the E6600 on komplett, and that is 220 euro i could put into better psu or towards gfx card. If i could squeeze out 4GHz out of the 805, then that would be a huge improvement on my current 3 year old Pentium 2.6 Ghz pc. Also maybe in a few months time, i could upgrade to a Conroe, they should be even cheaper than they are now. On the other hand, can i assume that a E6600 Conroe oc'ed to say, 3.6GHz, would have much better performance (and cooler running too) than a D805 oc'ed to 4 GHz..?

I'll have a look at that memory soon Pog.. looks good
    Yes 2 160gb drives in raid 0 would be faster but you got the risk of loosing all if a drive fails. I'm goin for raid 0 in my new rig, only worth it if you are willing to take a risk. Raid guide:
    http://www.futuremark.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265

I did a small bit of reading up on RAID, and kind of understand it a bit more and why RAID 0 can lose all data if anything goes wrong, but how often does it occur in the real world, and what would the main causes be (not shutting down right e.t.c.?)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

A Conroe at stock would probably beat an OC'd 805 :p

As for RAID, while I have no personal experience, I would imagine having 1 hardware failure affecting 2 harddrives to be a horrible experience.
    Besides, current SATA-300 drives with large densities (most 250Gb drives have only 2 platters) offer hot performance already.

Advertisement