Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Fail - emissions

Options
  • 29-07-2006 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

Everything else was grand. I'm really surprised because it's only a 1.0l

can I do anything to resolve this myself or will it have to go back to the mech .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Check / replace the air filter.

There probably is loads of other stuff you can check yourself i'm no mecanic just a humble panel beater:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Holes in the exhaust - Jack the car up (Be careful) and check. Mine failed on emissions, turned out there was a small hole in the mid-pipe. a bit of GumGum sorted it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Easiest thing you can do is replace the airfilter first...then right before you bring the car to the NCT center drive the ar*e ot of the car for a couple of miles, rev the engine hard in the first few gears and make sure the engine is good and hot when you get there for the test.:)
    Try and not let the car sit too long cooling when you get there, try and be there about 5-10 mins before the test so they take the car straight in while it is still hot.

I would be surprised if it didn't pass after doing this unless there is a mechanical/exhaust problem.

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

What year is the car? What did it fail on - CO, hydrocarbon or lambda? How high were the readings? If it failed on lambda then that can signify a hole in the exhaust.

Replacing the air filter etc., wil do feck all good if the emissions are very high due to a failed cat. IME many people waste time and money bringing cars in for emission retests after just replacing the air filter etc. Then they get annoyed with the NCT tester when the car fails the retest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭gstonesmx5

put some fuel system cleaner in the tank and run in through. get a can of choke and carb cleaner and give it a squirt. check your plugs for dirt and dark soot as you can replace them if needs be. a new air filter can make a difference if the old one is damaged or has oil on it.the above should cost less then €40 to do. then just check the exhaust for leaks and holes and thats all you could do realy without getting a
    mech to look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Thanks for all the advice.

My uncle is gonna get one of his mechs to check the lot.

It failed on Lambada. read was 1.084 limit for 00 is 1.03

Engine temp was 85 so it was fairly hot

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

It failed on Lambada. read was 1.084 limit for 00 is 1.03

Definitely a hole in the exhaust system ! Don't !!! Don't change the lambda sensor, as many mech do.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Cosmo K wrote:
    Definitely a hole in the exhaust system ! Don't !!! Don't change the lambda sensor, as many mech do.......

I won't be paying for it so let them do what they will, just wondering what I could point out so I don't look clueless when I drop off the car.

Passing the NCT was a guarantee when I bought it in Feb. It was emissions tested during the week before the test and was all fine on the machine in the garage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

The emissions as read by the nct will differ a lot from the machine in the garage, unless its the exact same machine. Happened to me also. If the nct pass was guaranteed, well bring the fail sheet back to the garage where you bought it, otherwise the guarantee was useless.

Advertisement