Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kingfisher in Bushy Park!

• 29-07-2006 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Was walking down by the river today and I saw what looked like a blue budgie whizzing by - brown underneath, bright blue on top. Birdwatchers told me it was a kingfisher!

(Mind you, they didn't know there were egrets there a few weeks back.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

On Saturday morning I was walking over the Dodder Bridge at Rathfarnham SC (Springfield Ave) and sitting on the rocks in the river was this big Kingfisher type bird. I've done a bit of checking on the interweb and I think it was a Belted Kingfisher which are apparently rare enough here.

Has anybody else seen this bird? Can anyone confirm what sort of bird it is? It looked liked this > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belted_Kingfisher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

crosstownk wrote:
    On Saturday morning I was walking over the Dodder Bridge at Rathfarnham SC (Springfield Ave) and sitting on the rocks in the river was this big Kingfisher type bird. I've done a bit of checking on the interweb and I think it was a Belted Kingfisher which are apparently rare enough here.

Has anybody else seen this bird? Can anyone confirm what sort of bird it is? It looked liked this > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belted_Kingfisher
    I'd say it was more than likely a Heron you saw

greatblueheron3sm.jpg

abetarrush wrote:
    I'd say it was more than likely a Heron you saw

greatblueheron3sm.jpg
    Nope - I don't think it was a Heron. I'm gonna head down there and see if I can spot it again and take a photo and post it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a huge size difference between a Kingfisher and a Heron :) Not easy to mix up, and Herons wouldn't easily be described as (in the OP's words) a 'blue budgie'!

A Belted Kingfisher is considerably bigger than a Kingfisher as described by the OP. I can see why abettarush suggested a heron - similar colours to a Belted Kingfisher. The Belted Kingfisher is not seen in Ireland all that often. But it's the ruffled feathers on the bird that I saw that have me almost convinced it was a Belted Kingfisher. I've a half day tomorrow so I'll head down to the Dodder on the offchance I'll get another look and hopefully a photo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Alun wrote:
    There's a huge size difference between a Kingfisher and a Heron :) Not easy to mix up, and Herons wouldn't easily be described as (in the OP's words) a 'blue budgie'!
    In the great words of Father Ted

"Small....... Far away!"

Haha

You just seemed unsure, so thought i'd throw it out there

abetarrush wrote:
    In the great words of Father Ted

"Small....... Far away!"

Haha

You just seemed unsure, so thought i'd throw it out there

Possibly - but I'm not convinced. I'm by no means a 'bird expert' but I do pay attention and try to identify all birds that I see. The guy I seen on Saturday was soooo different to anything I've seen before. I'll be looking out tomorrow if the weather is good an if I've anything to report I'll let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Vireo

Belted Kingfisher (an American kingfisher) is an absolute stonking rarity in Ireland with only three official records ever. The last one in Ireland was in 1985 in Co. Tipperary.

There was one in the UK last year in April - but there were only two other records before that in the UK.

Keep us posted if you see it again and you are sure it is a Belted Kingfisher. Get a photo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

If it is a belted kingfisher you are very lucky. If someone has money to spare, they could see if anyone else has reported one on the 1550 phone service listed here: http://www.birdsireland.com/pages/rare_bird_news.html

Perhaps another option is a knackered adult kingfisher??? Or maybe a juvenile kingfisher??? At this time of the year an adult might look particularly banjaxed after breeding and raising young, or a juvenile might not have the typical plumage developed just yet.

However if the size was significantly bulkier than normal knigfisher then I guess these are not options.

Good luck with the 'hunt' :)

Right - I was down at the Dodder today and saw nada. No herons and no Belted Kingfishers. Given it's rarity here, I'm starting to doubt myself now.......... But I'll keep looking and keep you posted. I might give the 1550 number a go (from work tomorrow :D ).

• Advertisement
Advertisement