Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What dreams do you have often?

• 29-07-2006 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭

Ok, basically interested in knowing what recurring dreams people have. I myself tend to often have the "falling" one and I wake up as I hit the ground in the dream. Anyone else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

I dream of dying a lot and how dreams about the nature of existence where i have profound feelings of emptiness and fear. I also have the one where you jerk as if tripped up and then half wake up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

I dream of me sleeping, and i cant wake up.... it really freaks me out...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't have recurring dreams, all different, apart from my teeth fall out sometimes in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Lately a great deal of my dreams are about me being back in primary or secondary school. I would imagine it is because those were happy times in my life (I'm a nerd, don't hurt me:( )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

This really creeps me out;

I tend to be a thoughtful person, always weighing decisions before making them, thinking about peoples actions and what they'll do next... you know, the usual 'person who thinks too much'... and from thinking about this kind of stuff a lot, it leads to me dreaming about them. Maybe its my subconscious picking up on cues and clues that i miss but i dream about normal stuff and, for the most part, the normal stuff happens in the next few days... more prediction rather than 'reading the future' *flaps arms around emphatically*

It really puts me ill at ease with some people, me knowing what they were going to do :S

So yeh, completely normal dreams about usual stuff... boring really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

I don't have recurring dreams, all different, apart from my teeth fall out sometimes in them.

From experiencefestival.com:

One theory is that dreams about your teeth reflect your anxiety about your appearance and how others perceive you. Sadly, we live in a world where good looks are valued highly and your teeth play an important role in conveying that image. Teeth are used in the game of flirtations, whether it be a dazzling and gleaming smile or affectionate necking. These dreams may stem from a fear of your sexual impotence or the consequences of getting old. Teeth are an important feature of our attractiveness and presentation to others. Everybody worries about how they appear to others. Caring about our appearance is natural and healthy.

Another rationalization for these falling teeth dream may be rooted in your fear of being embarrassed or making a fool of yourself in some specific situation. These dreams are an over-exaggeration of your worries and anxiety.

Teeth are used to bite, tear, chew and gnaw. In this regard, teeth represent power. And the loss of teeth in your dream may be from a sense of powerlessness. Are you lacking power in some current situation? Perhaps you are having difficulties expressing yourself or getting your point across. You feel frustrated when your voice is not being heard. You may be experiencing feelings of inferiority and a lack of self-confidence in some situation or relationship in your life. This dream is an indication that you need to be more assertive and believe in the value of your own opinion.

In the Greek culture, when you dream about loose, rotten, or missing teeth, it indicates that a family member or close friend is very sick or even near death.

@ OP - There is bit of reading to it, here ya go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I constantly dream about trains, i.e. being on the wrong one and panicing, or watching them go by, or being at a train station.

My own analysis of these dreams is that 'destination' is the underlying theme, that it's a sub-conscious manifestation of the worry I have in the back of my mind that my life is going in the wrong direction.

Witnessing air 'plane crashes is another common one for me.

Maybe I need a shrink?!?

I constantly dream about trains, i.e. being on the wrong one and panicing, or watching them go by, or being at a train station.

My own analysis of these dreams is that 'destination' is the underlying theme, that it's a sub-conscious manifestation of the worry I have in the back of my mind that my life is going in the wrong direction.

Witnessing air 'plane crashes is another common one for me.

Maybe I need a shrink?!?

You are pretty much on the right track (no pun intended :) ) -missing a train is thought to mean that you feel you may have lost out on an opportunity somewhere along the way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Recurrent nightmares. Remember the scene in the first Tomb Raider film when Lara Croft (played by Angelina Jolie) is sleeping and the ticking clock wakes her up? If you are with me, you might get an unexpected shave after I suddenly awake from one of my nightmares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭mysteria

Teeth falling out or being loose often reveal hidden insecurities such as fear of rejection by loved ones. Sometimes these dreams occur when you're having problems with people close to you who love you, in a way fear of losing loved ones.

• Advertisement

ST* wrote:
    You are pretty much on the right track (no pun intended :) ) -missing a train is thought to mean that you feel you may have lost out on an opportunity somewhere along the way.
    I tend to be on the wrong ones rather than miss them!

I also tend to dream in verbal metaphors too. For example, I hadn't cleaned the house for a week and it was begining to annoy me. I remember having a dream where a strange woman was trying to sell me a lottery ticket, saying I'd be sure to win and she kept on insisting 'You'll clean-up! You'll clean-up!".

The brain is a funny auld thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

I used to have dreams about being late for school and more recently I dreamed of living on top of my own grave with all my favorite possessions which was a bit weird tbh. I'd love to know what they were about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Teeth falling out is meant to be a classic sign of anxiety.

I have a recurring dream that really freaks me out. Near my house there's a big park with low hedges. The dream is the same every night. It's dark and I'm walking home to my house. All the street lights are off but there is a huge moon that is providing enough light for me to see where I'm going. For some reason I look to my right (at the park) and I can make out a dark shape at the far end.

Curiosity makes me stop and I strain to look. Suddenly the shape starts moving forward really, really quickly. I can make out the shape and it's a man in all black. I'm frozen on the spot and absolutely terrified. He gets closer and closer and then makes a massive jump and comes over the hedge and lands right in front of me...and then I wake up.

I never get to see who it is as I always wake up just when he lands in front of me. Suffice to say I don't like walking past that park at night on my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭HDX

I always dream all my family are dead, or I have a fatal illness, often wake up crying, is that kind of attention seeking or deppresive or what?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Aye peachypants and mysteria, that is exactly what it was.
    Unfortunately it happened with the person I love most. Lots of teeth were flying about.
    Teeth falling out or being loose often reveal hidden insecurities such as fear of rejection by loved ones. Sometimes these dreams occur when you're having problems with people close to you who love you, in a way fear of losing loved ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

I don't have any recurring dreams, they're all different. Keeps it exciting ;)

Aye peachypants and mysteria, that is exactly what it was.
    Unfortunately it happened with the person I love most. Lots of teeth were flying about.

Don't worry Tar. You'll find your soulmate. That's a prediction ;)

HDX wrote:
    I always dream all my family are dead, or I have a fatal illness, often wake up crying, is that kind of attention seeking or deppresive or what?
    It sounds like you are a worrier and that shows in your dreams. Maybe some meditation/relaxation exercises would help you. But your dreams aren't predicting anything bad happening, you've good news on the way :)

junkyard wrote:
    I used to have dreams about being late for school and more recently I dreamed of living on top of my own grave with all my favorite possessions which was a bit weird tbh. I'd love to know what they were about.
    Obviously worried about not being able to take it all with you!

You've probably worked hard and accumulated a bit of wealth recently.

Thats interesting, I never thought of it that way. Another detail of that dream was I could see people come and go into the cemetery where I was "living" but they couldn't see me and the sky was pitch black but it seemed as if it was as bright as day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Pink Bunny

A recurring dream I often have is of finding hidden or secret rooms. I like having those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Pink Bunny wrote:
    A recurring dream I often have is of finding hidden or secret rooms. I like having those.

Yeah I had the secret room one often when I was younger, but i never actually wanted to go into the room, because there was always some really tight squeeze on the way to get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

The one where my teeth fall out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 itchy_feet

I have deadly recurring battle dreams real good versus evil vibe with them. They usually take place in a warehouse of some sort where I'm up against a big creature...dinasaur or dragon maybe, they nearly always consist of me lepping about the place sort of half jumping, half flying a bit like the battle scenes in Crouching tiger hidden dragon but I've had these dreams since I was a kid so I doubt that movie influences me.

The endings differ..sometimes I win...sometimes the creature is getting the better of me so I decide enough is enough and I fly off and into another dream like my dreams are different sets or something and I can pick and choose where i go and what I can do.

I've often had dreams where I'm teaching friends/loved ones how to fly or how to control their dreams....I love those dreams, they're the best, a great sence of satisfaction and closeness in them.

Like a few nights ago I dreamt my boyfriend and myself were in a holiday village having a laugh and messing and we stole these 2 pink high nelly bikes and we were being chased...the bikes were in bits with buckled wheels and the owners were gaining on us and my boyfriend was getting all panicy and stressed and I was just laughing and I took his hand (still riding the bike one handed) and said "It's alright, watch this" and told him to close his eyes and when we opened them we were about 10 foot further down the road with the people who were chasing us lagging behind and I told him "warp speed". It was a great dream!

I've said "watch this" in other dreams where i've been teaching groups of friends how to fly, they're always very funny dreams, the best way I can describe them is 'great craic', like I'm messing, starting off cross legged and I start to levitate and every one ooohs and aaahhs and then I go "watch this" and start loop the looping and doing tumbles in the air and I remember once landing like supergirl...like with one hand on my hip and the other up in the air above my head and one foot resting on the knee of my other leg, that got a great laugh.

Aw I hope I have a flying dream tonight

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

tripping dreams are terribly common, always wake with a start

a good many of the dreams i remember involved being chased by various people, from musketeers to secret agents, ppl i know from uni dressed up as james bond, or just regular monsters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Witnessing air 'plane crashes is another common one for me

Me too. This one I have very often. Then again I've seen every episode of 'Air Crash Investigation' probably twice at this stage, so that might have something to do with it :)

Another recurring dream for me is one of floating and sometimes spinning in the air, like floating away but not in a good way, rather with great fear and a sense of impending doom. I sometimes think I am dead in the dream, and once or twice was actually quite relieved to be still alive when I woke up. This is a dream I have pretty regularly and is quite unpleasant. For some strange reason though, it usually only seems to happen if I'm asleep on my back (not a normal sleeping position for me) and usually in the morning time.
    Don't know what this one means, but fear is the recurrent theme.

Tree wrote:
    tripping dreams are terribly common, always wake with a start

Tripping over something means there is an obstacle you keep coming across. If definitions are to believed, you are ignoring something. Before you know it, you are having another trip dream. :)

You need to recognize the problem, and get it out of the way, or realize that you have to stop following that path.

junkyard wrote:
    Thats interesting, I never thought of it that way. Another detail of that dream was I could see people come and go into the cemetery where I was "living" but they couldn't see me and the sky was pitch black but it seemed as if it was as bright as day.

Was I right? Have you come into money recently, or should I just tear up my job application form for Irish Psychics live?

Probably thanks to this tread I've had one of the most horrible nightmares ever last night - I dreamt I was dying, kept slipping in and out of consciousness, wondering when it would be for the very last time. I'm still pretty shaken up by it even now.

Yeah I had the secret room one often when I was younger, but i never actually wanted to go into the room, because there was always some really tight squeeze on the way to get there.
    I had that dream for the first time a few nights ago. I discovered a 'games' room in the basement of my house (my house doesn't have a basement).

I was overjoyed to discover it had about half a dozen vintage slot machines and a small pool table. When I was waking up I rember thinking "That's great, I'll just pop down to the games room and.....oh no! It was all a dream!".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭maggz

I always have this dream that Im at the sea and its really calm, and then the waves start getting bigger and bigger and bigger until they are tidal waves. I have this dream all the time since I was a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

maggz wrote:
    I always have this dream that Im at the sea and its really calm, and then the waves start getting bigger and bigger and bigger until they are tidal waves. I have this dream all the time since I was a kid.

ooh I forgot I used to have a dream like that, though mine was more tsunami style.
    This dream stopped when I learned to swim/snorkle in the sea. I guess I lost some of the fear of water then.

Scary though...

abetarrush wrote:
    The one where my teeth fall out
    It'll be ok, don't worry about it so much. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Also often have dreams where I have to go somewhere, but there's always something stopping me from getting there on time, like I can't find something I need to bring, can't get a bus/taxi, not able to walk properly, that kinda thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Since I moved out of my folks house, I have had this dream where someone is breaking into my room and I can see them (well they kind of a shadow) but can't move. I'm trying to shout, move, kick or anything but nothing happens and it terrifies me. I think its a common dream but I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

I have been having this dream now for say the past month or so. It started with me waking up as my hubby came into the room and a figure would walk in behind him. I would sit up (in my dream) and say hi to my hubby and look at the door for a few min and wounder who was it that came in with him, then lie down and go back to sleep.

Then the dream went on to my husband would get into bed and shadows would be floating around the end of the bed again I would sit up and ask what do you want. They would say something but I would not be able to hear what they said so I get pi**ed off and say you can stay but speak up if you want me to hear you and then just go back to sleep.

Now it has manufested I would just be in bed and sit up and a hudded figure would be over near my mirror and he would just sort of move around the room a bit. I seem to wake up and look at him then fall asleep and then wake up and look at him and then fall asleep (in my dream). It feels like I am doing that all night. I dont feel fear anymore with the figure just that he is there and thats ok. Actually starting to wonder what will happen next.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

I have only one recurring dream, and it's pretty normal compared my usual ones. I'm driving a car, often racing it along a track and suddenly the car in front of me pulls to a stop. I slam my foot down on the brack...and wake up, heart thumping.

Must be watching way too much drift-racing on TV:o

Was I right? Have you come into money recently, or should I just tear up my job application form for Irish Psychics live?

Probably thanks to this tread I've had one of the most horrible nightmares ever last night - I dreamt I was dying, kept slipping in and out of consciousness, wondering when it would be for the very last time. I'm still pretty shaken up by it even now.

Well I wouldn't say I've come into money lately but I have more now as a result of hard work I might add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Pink Bunny

I'm embarassed to even admit this it seems so lame, but I wondered if anyone else has ever dreamt they were reading boards.ie :D:D Yes as sad as it surely sounds, I had a dream last night that I was online reading and posting. Hahaaaaa I guess it's because I do sometimes right before I go to sleep.
    Anyone else? Please tell me I'm not alone in this :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

had one a few years ago night after night about a talking post box chasing me down this toy town like street! reminds me of that "oh mr-soft" softmint ad

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Pink Bunny wrote:
    I'm embarassed to even admit this it seems so lame, but I wondered if anyone else has ever dreamt they were reading boards.ie :D:D Yes as sad as it surely sounds, I had a dream last night that I was online reading and posting. Hahaaaaa I guess it's because I do sometimes right before I go to sleep.
    Anyone else? Please tell me I'm not alone in this :o
    yeah, i regularly dream about chattin online or playing games, have solved i dunno how many really hard puzzle games in my sleep (could never do tehm in real life of course)

I;ve dreamt about being in work too, doin those sorta repetitive actions like beepin groceries in tesco or handin stuff out a drive thru window in mcdonalds, dont do anything much other than workin in these dreams even if im doin them my nighty :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭youthacademy

i am one of the strangest 'sleepers' around, not so long ago i was having a dream that i was buried alive and the last thing i remember of it was banging on the roof of the coffin trying to get out, i woke up punching the bunk above me...

another strange one is i was in a dark room, looking at a door open a slight bit with light shining through, i wanted to walk out it but couldn't because there was this baby standing in my way, smiling and rotating its head, with what looked like a carving knife in its hand,..

sounds freaky but these are both true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Originally posted by Pink Bunny:

Yes, I have those quite often. Sometimes they are good dreams - I buy an old house - a Fixer-upper - and discover hidden rooms in it.

Other times it is a haunted house and these hidden rooms save me from being chased by ghouls.

And another reoccurring dream is wandering through an old mansion with friends or family and I am the only one who can feel that it is infested with evil spirits. No one believes me, and then they all start vanishing one by one. I later run into them (my friends) as spirits trapped within hidden rooms.

I also dream a lot about work. I think that is just my brain working out the details of what is important and what is not so important about how the day at work was.

And there's always the reoccurring sex dreams. Hee hee! Those I don't mind repeating!:p

L4L

• Registered Users Posts: 1 strugglehugler

A dream I had regularly was of a mattress relentlessly hankering around after me on a tilting plane until it'd ware me out and squish me like a ham, cheese and tayto sandwich. I'd then wake up sweating and confussed in equal measure.
    I'm wondering if its possible to be short sighted in dreams and if its not actually a mattress after all! I doubt its Tom&Jerry related either even though the thought did cross my mind. The rest of my dreams are as nutty as squirrel **** and less memorable but dreaming is still a nice surprise before breakfast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

At least once I week I have this dream of falling down the stairs in my old childhood home. I try grabbing onto the bannister but I always slip head first.

It always feels so real. I have to wake myself up before I hit the bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Teeth fall out - happened to me in real life with a tooth once!

Kicked in the face - wakes me p with a jump

Trying to run away but not being able to run fast enough

And one where I'm hidden or I'm a sniper or really good at being a detective or sneaky.

Meeting dead relatives

I seem mental....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 deefor1

I used to have a recurring dream where I'd be driving up a hill and suddenly the car would start going backward faster and faster and I would have no control of it. I rekon it was how in real life I was in a situation that I had no control over. Now my recurring dream is I'm in a situation where I have to call the emergency services and I cannot dial the number on my mobile. I just cannot get through. This one I rekon is that I want to talk to someone and they are not listening....maybe I'm way off the mark but that's what I interpret them as.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ruaille buaille

I always have one where I'm sitting in class and I dont have my homework done and Im hoping that the teacher wont ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Used to have a recurring dream of being blown away in a storm and flying around the place. Haven't had it in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tunage

I have constant dreams about teeth. Losing them, loose teeth, spitting them out like tic-tacs etc etc..

Recently I've noticed I dream a lot about helicopters... crashing helicopters, also the 'bad vibe' dreams like there's a bigger being/entity/thing out to get us and we have to hide.

I remember 99% of the dreams I have. Sometimes I just want to go to sleep and not have any dreams.. just sleep! Anyone else like this? I could nearly tell you what I'll dream before I sleep.. it's so frustrating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭canadianwoman

I'm flying in a lot of my dreams over some beautiful autumn trees and water.

• Advertisement
Advertisement