Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How often do you change your phone?

• 29-07-2006 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

How often do you change your phone? 63 votes

1-3 Months
    0% 0 votes
    3-6 Months
    11% 7 votes
    6-12 Months
    15% 10 votes
    1 Year +
    31% 20 votes
    3 Year +
    41% 26 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Work in a phone shop, and about every six months.

Prior I have a 6600 For a year and a half. That was some phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 sonnyboy

Every 1-3 months ill have probably 1-5 new phones and either sell them on or else give them to relatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

everytime they break so every 12 - 18 months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

First in 1995, second circa 1999, third phone last week. What's that - about every five years or so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

When my fone breaks or gets lost/stolen i replace it, i've had my current 6230 since last christmas(christmas 2004) Battery life is getting a bit bad but i can live with it till it finally breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

I now change mine every 1 - 2 years, though I used my first one (a Siemens M35) for 3.5 years. Still works fine and has the best cell phone base station monitor of any I've had!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

All the time! I've had tons over the last year. To name what I can recall

SE K750i (three times! had silver, sold it and got black, then got another one later on)
    SE K800i (current phone)
    SE W800i
    SE W900i
    SE P910i

Nokia N70
    Nokia 3220
    Nokia 3200 (Backup phone)
    Nokia 1101

O2 XDA Mini S

Motorola V3 (Backup phone)
    Motorola E1000

Samsung D500

I'm sure I've had a couple more. I generally get them online, use 'em for a few weeks then sell them on. I've big into my tech, and I'm never happy with anything for long. I'm considering a Nokia N91 or N93 at my next phone, or maybe the SE M600i. Not sure yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'm ashamed to say I used to change it at 2-3 times in a month up until about 2 years ago when I just got an Ngage which I still use and that does me. I guess I was trying to keep up with the newest ones coming out and I had too much money to spend. :)

Ruu wrote:
    I'm ashamed to say I used to change it at 2-3 times in a month up until about 2 years ago when I just got an Ngage which I still use and that does me. I guess I was trying to keep up with the newest ones coming out and I had too much money to spend. :)
    I was the same up until early this year. Since 2004 I had:

Motorola V300, V600, V550 (which I later put into the V600's body), Nokia 6230, 6630 and 6680. Then finally a Motorola V535 and V3x, though my brother "borrowed" the V3x and never paid me for it nor stated when he'd give me it back.

All I have left now are the 6680 and V535. The only reason I got the V535 was because my 550/600 hybrid was nicked on me! But still, I'd rather forget those times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

normally every two months. in the past year alone I've had a 6680, 2 6630's, 2 6600's, several sagem phones, a motorola phone, several Sony Ericsson phones, and a whole host of mid-range nokia phones like the 6101, n-gage, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

About one change every year or when I lose/brake it

I had just really stupid phones mostly Nokia 3310, 3330, 6310i back to the 3210, 5110. I could go on for ages. I got a sharp gx10 for nothing and got it fixed, sold it and then have the ngage now (which I'm thinking of getting rid of now after reading this thread):o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ruu wrote:
    I had just really stupid phones mostly Nokia 3310, 3330, 6310i back to the 3210, 5110. I could go on for ages. I got a sharp gx10 for nothing and got it fixed, sold it and then have the ngage now (which I'm thinking of getting rid of now after reading this thread):o

the n-gage is great, brilliant for playing games, with a decent mmc card you can have about 30 games installed at once, and there are some amazing games available for it, even if it was a flop :D

As an actual phone, its fine for texting, not so great for casual use, and don't even get me started on using it on a night out :D

HavoK wrote:
    the n-gage is great, brilliant for playing games, with a decent mmc card you can have about 30 games installed at once, and there are some amazing games available for it, even if it was a flop :D

As an actual phone, its fine for texting, not so great for casual use, and don't even get me started on using it on a night out :D

Yeah its not too bad, get funny looks from people sometimes. :) "Wha da fook is dah?!" Pity the battery life is brutal (actually mine isn't too bad but others that my friends owned have been brutal).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I know I spend too much on mobiles and I always resolve this will be the last one for a year but never happens. I've had...

Some old motorola one
    Nokia 3210
    Nokia 3310
    Nokia 3410
    Another motorola one
    2 other Nokias i can't think of
    A Siemens one
    Another motorola
    Pink Motorola one
    Nokia something (still quite new)
    Pink Nokia 6111 - absolutely love it and can't see myself changing it, although it is only about 3 weeks old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

NiSmO wrote:

I'm a bit of a technophobe! the first was a Panisonic, the second was a Nokia 6150? (I think) the recent one is a Nokia 6234.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

My first phone was a 5110, 2 yrs later and sony j7, 6 months later a sharp gx 10, another 6 months a se t610(pleasure to use), moved to contract 6 months later so got my first smartphone a 6600..absolutly loved it, 12 months later it was upgrade time so got a 6680 had a few niggles with it so got a n70 6 months later(another classic,very impressed with it)..then i got bored 2 months later so got a v1240 windows mobile 5 smartphone(for a change!), my next phone will prob a nokia e70,like the keyboard( overall i was happy how symbian phones worked)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

I've had this one for 3.5 years, when it breaks I'll get a new one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I've had 3 phones since about 1997 - a Panasonic G500, a Siemens somethingorother, and currently have a Nokia 6100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Every year with an upgrade. I only want to change if there's something majorly different from my last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

for my latest change it will only be 7 months going from k7500i to k800i

started off with 3200 then to 3330 then 6600 then k750i now k800i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

I only replace mine whenever it stops working properly/becomes obsolete (and even then only if I need some function it doesn't have).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

SDooM wrote:
    Work in a phone shop, and about every six months.

Prior I have a 6600 For a year and a half. That was some phone.
    ya the 6600 was fair good
    had it for ages myself
    when i started of my phones lasted me ages like my nokia 3310 and nokia 3510i had them each for well over a year
    but now i seem to be getting a new one every 10 or 11 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Every year as o2 gives me an upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 alfagt

How much money have i wasted??? This is what i've had in the last 3 years or so, and i know i've left some out.......

Sharp GX10, GX20, GX30 and 550sh.
    Siemens S55, SL55, SL65, S75, SX1, (Still have it) and CX75.
    Sony Ericsson T610, K700i, V800, K750i and P910i.
    Nokia N70 (Wish i hadn't sold it!).
    Sendo X.
    Panasonic GD87.
    Sagem My-X6.
    Samsung D600.

Next is a K800i, Nokia N73 and in a few months the BenQ-Siemens SL91. I think i must be a gadgetaholic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

In the early days, I used to change all the time, and got through dozens of phones. I listed them once and it was about 50 or something over 5 years or so.

I have had a 6230i for just over a year now - it is the best Nokia I ever had. Before that I had a 6100 for about 6 months and a 6230 for over a year at the same time.

I also have an 1101 as a spare I got a few months back - will probably get something else cheap n cheerful shortly.

Waiting for a Nokia that can better the 6230i. At the moment, I am thinking a Nokia E50 or Nokia N73, which I will probably keep for a good while.

NiSmO wrote:

It looks like you will probably end up with some amount of phones like I did. :) The 6310i is a class phone all the way, even today its pretty good. Battery life is quality and its got all you need.
    Ah those 8210s were a disaster! Yes nice little phone but I swear every one I came across the LCD messed up on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,173 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i normally change every 3 months, but ive had my n70 7 months now and havent felt the need to change which is nice :) however it did cost me 500 quid at the time!

i may try an n80 , the slider bit is putting me off

Advertisement