Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Paralysis

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 molypiper

it has happened to me for a few times..horrible! i would want to wake up but my eyes will just flutter then close back. couldn't even move my body but senses are awake! mental praying in that state helps me. i wouldn't wake up but it will resort to a better dream..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭djeddy

they are far from nice to feel traped like that, it has happened me a few times, but thankfully after been barley able to whisper the word jesus i was released from whatever it was that had me in that state, other times i called on loved ones gone before, and i was released,

if these things are natural? has it got something to do with which way you sleep or try to sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

djeddy wrote:
    if these things are natural? has it got something to do with which way you sleep or try to sleep?

Did you read the rest of the thread? I'd direct you to my post near the top of this page.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I experinced this on two occasions, which were horrible.
    The worst part is that I couldn't even control my breathing. I felt like I was suffocating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Its seems a scary experience for alot of people. Just lying there helpless and franticly trying to move your muscles in a darkened room. Trying to shoutout but nobody can hear your cries.

Yes, I have experienced this and I can recall this experience from when I was a child too. It seems to me that this condition is linked to sleep deprivation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I had heard what it was before I got it. Had it loads of times now, normally when I'm sleeping in on my back. Just annoys me more than anything else. Sometimes when paralysed I dream I try to so hard to move that I fall off my bad, only to wake up still on my bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Muzzy_G

hi everyone, finally I found people with the same problem, I though it was just me. but anyway it happened to me yesterday, I woke up in the middle of the night and I couldn't move, every time I tried to move my chest was being crushed then I tried to speak but I was mumbling. Then I heard loud screaming and some static in my left ear. I was so scared that I started praying in my head but the crushing got harder to a point I was struggling to breath. So then I just excepted what was happin to me and it went away. It felt like hours but then I realized it was only 10 mins.

This wasn't the first time it happen to me, It's been going on for 2 years now. The last time it happened before yesterday was 6 months ago.

P.S. I saw a black cat on top of me the first time it happened after that every time it happens I just close my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Besprechen

Zillah wrote:
    Get a full night's sleep, every night. Only real solution. SP is associated with bad sleeping habits.

Sleep on your side. SP is also associated with lying on your back. 90% of cases occur when the persons is sleeping like that.

wierd, im in 10% coz i have it about once a month and i always sleep face down, usually occurs a night or 2 after a good drinking session and lack of sleep, grown used to it now so dont usually bother to try and snap out of it, its the buzzing and whispering sound in my ears that mostly freaks me rather then the heavy limbs sensation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Happened to me again last night, and was fvckin horrible

I opened my eyes, then closed them really tight, and couldnt open them again

Lasted about 30 seconds, but 30 very LONG seconds

and had one a few weeks ago too. I was up against the wall, but in the dream i was in the middle of my bed, and a ghost got into bed with me and put its arm around me, then i felt that pressure aroud my chest and cudnt breath

my sleep pattern sucks, so thats why i got it

and i usually turn onto my side before i fall asleep, but fell asleep on my back last night
    and thought there was someone at my bed

im actually afraid to go t bed now, its the most scariest thing you can experience :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've had this a few times. Most recently was yesterday afternoon after a nap on the couch. I was exhausted and decided to lie down for a while. It usually happens when I'm very tired. I was in the middle of a horrible nightmare and then realised that it was a nightmare but I couldn't wake up. I had to struggle to open my eyes and when I finally did I could see the room. I looked at my arm and tried to move it but with no success. After about 3 or 4 mins my body jolted and I was awake as normal.

I don't find it stressful anymore but the first few times it scared the sh1t out of me. Thankfully, so far, I haven't felt the presence of anyone in the room and, tbh, hope I never get to.

It's not a pleasant experience but it doesn't bother me. Thankfully its a very infrequent occurrence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

I get these pretty regularly too, accompanied by hallucinations, feelings of presence in the room or weight on my body/edge of the bed, sometimes a constant pulsating sound too.

The odd time I get this feeling that my bed (or world) is moving really fast, that I could fall off the bed anytime...or that I'm constantly falling into the bed. I like them ones! :D

I get these pretty regularly too, accompanied by hallucinations, feelings of presence in the room or weight on my body/edge of the bed, sometimes a constant pulsating sound too.

The odd time I get this feeling that my bed (or world) is moving really fast, that I could fall off the bed anytime...or that I'm constantly falling into the bed. I like them ones! :D
    Whoa, there the strongest ones ye can have!

Hows ur sleep pattern?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Muzzy_G

I know that when you get these SP your body is stop you from acting out your dreams, but why does it feel like my body is being crushed?

plz reply!

no1 knows

its just whatevers goin on in you're brain

could also be excessive fear

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

abetarrush wrote:
    Whoa, there the strongest ones ye can have!

Hows ur sleep pattern?

Terrible! All summer I've been going to bed about 4/5am. But I don't think it has much to do with that, I've had these since I was about 12 and sleeping more regular hours. I can actually remember my very first one, in a Butlin's holiday camp! Actually, maybe there's the explanation right there! :D The horror...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hanaaa

so sleep paralysis is normal?

my first sort of incident happened when i was about 12...i was lying in my bed and i guess i fell asleep only to open my eyes and see this sort of white figure right infront of me. i tried to close my eyes thinking i was just dreaming so i reopened them only to find the figure even closer and emitting and even brighter , whiter light. i was absolutely terrified and my heart started pounding..i reeally thought i was going to have a heart attack and so i just closed my eyes again, reopened them only to see this ...thing flutter closer and closer to my face. THEN i closed my eyes (all through this i couldn't move, speak) and opened them again but i managed to shout something out and everything was back to normal. i used to think i was fully completely awake until i started reading about sleep paralysis..so yeah. now i pretty much get these weird episodes where i'll fall asleep wake up but my eyes and body are paralysed more or less... i hate it but i don't know how to stop it

Not really normal, but extremely common

The main causes are a bad sleepin pattern, and sleepin on your back

I think the sleepin on the bag one is important, cos you put pressure on your spine

You're always supposed to sleep on your side

I've had 2, and they scared the crap outta me, dno how i didnt die of a heart attack

But yeah, they're completely harmless

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Its been ages since this has happened to me but it used to be fairly regular. Mine was always accompanied by a seeming inability to breathe. I would feel the pressure building in my lungs and I would will myself to breathe in but the lungs never responded and I would just lie there paralysed on my back trying to scream or just open my mouth to get some air in. At the last moment, when I felt like I was about to die, I would manage a breath, and then I could move again. Freaky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I used to get those ones very regulary, except it felt like I was being dragged
    out of the bed. Hasn't really happened in years and I never really thought about
    it much further until I recently heard my Aunt talking about being frozen after
    waking up, she thought she was having a stroke, and apparently my Granny
    used to get it the whole time. She thought she was being possessed by the
    devil and so went religion mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

This has happened me a few times but I didn't realise that it was sleep paralysis.

-A couple of times my legs have felt that they had been severed from my body and were floating away but I would still feel them. Other times it feels like they are doing a 180 on me.

-Other times I just have weird dreams about a huge black space over my head. I wake to find that the room starts to push away from me. It takes a few minutes to get outta this "trance".

-The weirdest ever was while I was on holidays. I had gone for a nap during the day and had a rather nasty nightmare. It involved a woman with no face, an old chair and bright white light. I woke from the dream and freaked!
    I knew I was awake and could see but the bright light and the image of the woman and the chair stayed in front of my eyes for about 2 seconds. I could see it in front of me - not just in my mind. I was also totally paralysed for a few seconds.

Anyway. Glad to hear i'm not the only one!

Any theories on this stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

I used to think I was the only one who experienced this! It's been happening since I was really young. Back then I would only wake and be unable to move, but I'd never experience anything too frightening. I'd just keep trying to turn my head and eventually I would.

More recently though it's become alot more frightening. Quite recently I woke up and felt this pressure on my back, as if some spirit had entered me through my back. I know that sounds so crazy but it really felt that way. Then I can remember sitting up and seeing everything in my room and this black figure floating infront of my eyes. I thought I'd awoken but I was still asleep. Then finally I managed to wake up. It was awful! I managed to make some moaning noises, which I usen't to be able to do.

Another odd experience was when I woke up and suddenly heard the heating/immersion turning on. But it felt like my body was making this noise because it was as if I could feel it flowing through me. It felt like I could feel all my blood vessels in my body and the blood flowing around. Another similar experience to that was when I could hear the sound of flowing water and the same feeling of all my blood vessels, except this time as if they were seizing up, most notably in my back. I also felt like I was going to have a heart attack in both these experiences, and I remember thinking I was about to die. Such awful experiences!

Also, sometimes I know when it's going to happen. If I stay on in bed when I feel kind of groggy and I'm in a very light sleep I can just feel it coming on. I try to stop it and keep my eyes open but they just shut and I'm left paralyzed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

yeah i get it all the time, it happens so frequently i don't even get scared anymore i used to try and scream but couldn't do anything about it

sometimes when i was younger my mind would start playing tricks on me, and i would start seeing things like people and stuff out of the corner of my eye it was kinda scary

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I get SP every now and again, prob twice a month,... something it feels grand... sometimes I freak out. Used to be worse when I wasn't used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

edited:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Im so glad i discovered this thread - i too thought i was the only one who had these experiences! ive tried to explain them to my mum and friends but just kinda laughed and said they were night terrors and to stop eating cheese before i went to bed!!

One night last week i had one, it was middle of night and my boyfriend was also alseep in bed. i woke with the weight feeling on top, crushing my chest and felt it very hard to breath, whole body just stiff and unable to move!
    The worst part i find is that i try to scream and nothing comes out of my mouth, but obviously that night it did and my boyfriend got such a fright! he never really believed me until last week when he heard it himself!

its so weird, i hate when they happen. i agree with the sleeping on back thing, everytime ive had one ive been asleep on my back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think this happened to me once, a very weird sensation. I tried to call out to the person beside me and I couldn't move or talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

I think this happened to me once, a very weird sensation. I tried to call out to the person beside me and I couldn't move or talk.
    Used to happen to me a lot when I filled my days with chemicals;)
    Stoped the chemicals and the problem went away. Funny, I remember that it usually started with a feeling like lightning bolt suddenly hitting me on top of the head...hard. I would literally bounce inches off the bed.
    I was told it had something to do with the neurons in the brain all firing together as a result from a build up in the said chemicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

or that I'm constantly falling into the bed. I like them ones! :D

I have never got sleep paralysis but I do sometimes get the falling through the bed thing. It's like the world drops away and **** it it takes your breath away and when your with a girl you feel like a tit when you leap out of bed :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Asiaprod wrote:
    Used to happen to me a lot when I filled my days with chemicals;)
    Stoped the chemicals and the problem went away.
    I'd never touch such things, didn't you mommy tell you they induce Sleep Paralysis, when you were young? :d

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

I get this after a heavy session on the razzle and then stay up - such as watch a film or play poker(which you shouldn't do pissed), so if i don't go to bed until say 11 am, i'll sleep a few hours and get up, but then that night when i go back to bed i get one of these episodes, probably because i am not mentally right due to the intoxication elements and lack of sleep - not nice when it happens and can be quite freaky - i think its a bad sign meself and somewhat of a way your own self is telling you not to do this(if ya know what i mean)

Advertisement