Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Paralysis

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thank God for this forum!! Brilliant thread :) I thought I was the only one who got this sleep paralysis. It's absolutely terrifying to say the least! :( It scares the bejebus out of me every time it happens, although it has only happened to me two or three times in my life and all of those occassions within the last three years.

I think on Page 1 of the thread someone said they concentrate on moving just one part of their body first, that's what I do too, I'll be desperately trying to move my arm just a little so I can pinch myself to wake me up, it's awful!

The last time it happened was when someone rang our doorbell late at night and my mind woke up and I tried to get out of bed so that I could answer it before they rang again and woke the gf. I couldn't move a muscle. They rang and rang and the gf slept through it until the last ring by which time she turned on the light, sat up and asked me to get it. I could hear her and understand her but couldn't even reply no matter how hard I tried. She was nudging me to wake me up and I was trying to tell her I was awake but couldn't move...terrible!

Glad I'm not the only one and other people are suffering too :D Misery loves company :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

I've had this for about 10 years, usually once every 2 months. So about 50 or 60 times and you sort of get used to it really. If I stay up till something daft like 5am or so I can pretty much guarantee it'll happen during the next night's sleep.

Always feels like an electric shock to me and on one occasion I thought my teeth would explode :D

I just wiggle my toes and foot a bit to eventually snap out of it. I always fall asleep perfectly fine straight after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A condition in which, upon waking, a person is aware of the surroundings but is unable to move

This happened to me on a regular basis for a while in my late teens, typically I'd wake with a start in the small hours and end up upright staring into darkness fixing on a small red light on a heater (it was winter) after 10 or so mins I'd realise I could move fine and would just lay back and return to sleep.

Twas strange and it did'nt last.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

mike65 wrote:
    This happened to me on a regular basis for a while in my late teens, typically I'd wake with a start in the small hours and end up upright staring into darkness fixing on a small red light on a heater (it was winter) after 10 or so mins I'd realise I could move fine and would just lay back and return to sleep.

Twas strange and it did'nt last.

Mike.

Twas the night before christmas and all through the house, not a creature was stirring not even a mouse, because they all had slepp paralysis!.

Sorry :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

This happened to me last week, I was convinced my room was haunted or somthing because the light from the moon or else the hallway was all I could see, as I couldn't move my head....I actually couldn't move myself but I felt myself sort of jerk twice without actually doing it myself, it was really freaky...I tried to scream when I heard my brother come home but I couldn't so I just forced myself to stay calm and go back asleep. Glad to see its common enough :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭bubblicious

This happened to me an awful lot when I was younger - and it scared the s**t outta me!! Hadn't happened to me in ages until the night before last. My alarm clock went off and I tried to turn it off but I just couldn't physically move!! Just glad to know I'm not the only one it happens to!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

I'd never touch such things, didn't you mommy tell you they induce Sleep Paralysis, when you were young? :d

Video evidence suggests otherwise.

I have a friend who gets it. There seems to be a vague connection with the ol' drugaroonies...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You have no such evidence.
    >_>
    Nah, no drugs taken the one time I had one, or for a long time beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

I only read the first 20 post or so so this may have been mentioned before. If not, I hope it helps.

Sleep paralysis and not being to awaken from a nightmare when you know you are dreaming happens to me the odd time. I have found that the only sure fire way to wake up from it is to not try to force myself awake or to try to make myself move but to try to relax and fall into a deeper sleep.

This is obviously psychologically a difficult thing to do if you are having a nightmare as the last thing you want to do is stay asleep, but I've found that it next to always gets me awake. Its probably just a mater of relaxing and I start to relax if I tell myself to submit to the dream/sleep (face your fears and all that crap).

Sweet dreams!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Fandyfan

ive only read a few threads at the start and at the end...yeah its happened to me a few times too. i was scared at the start, call me wierd but i thought it was pretty cool! lol after that i tried to purposely get myself into that state by just completely relaxing. it worked a few times but now i cant do it anymore...when i try now i just fall asleep! lol.

• Advertisement
Advertisement