Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dream analysis/interpretation

• 29-07-2006 10:03pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Sleep & Dream forum needs a thread where people can post their dreams and they can be analysed and discussed.
    Three...two...one...
    /Unveils!

So anybody on here learn about this?
    I know BEAT has, she used to have a thread about this.
    Anyway, even if you don't know anything about it, have a guess at interpreting peoples dreams here.

I'll post some after I work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I think this thread should be a sticky in the new forum to save a new "what does my dream mean" thread every few days.

Maybe when FIRESPINNER gets the mod job he can sticky it.
    Just incase he doesnt get the mod job I would just like to cover my arse by saying that peachypants rules ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

If I do become mod then I should add that any poster who interprets anything as being do to "intense male impotency" will get a weeks ban. I know we have all seen the show, and it would be funny once but I can just imagine this quote being repeated 100's of times.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

So anybody on here learn about this?

I'm pretty sure that sentence isn't grammatically correct :p.

OT, I can interpret dreams pretty well. I have to be in the mood to do it, though. It's funny when somebody is randomly describing a dream and I can read into it, and learn all sorts of fun stuff about them!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Faith wrote:

OT, I can interpret dreams pretty well. I have to be in the mood to do it, though. It's funny when somebody is randomly describing a dream and I can read into it, and learn all sorts of fun stuff about them!

Grand! Will look forward to your interpretations.:cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Faith wrote:
    Quiet you, I was late for work and grammar ran away. (:

I had a sexy dream last night, I can interpret it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

Faith wrote:

OT, I can interpret dreams pretty well.

Similar, friends of mine always tell me about their dreams. While I was a teenager I repeatedly had a dream about being followed by thunder clouds, it freaked me out. So I went to the library to see if I could get a book on dream interpretations. I was so suprised by its accuracy it turned into a bit of a hobby of mine.

Incidently, the definition of a thunder dream depends on how it occurs, whether its is simply the flash that is seen, or perhaps only hearing the thunder. But generally, and unsuprisingly it indicates stormy emotions, and anger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I think the strangest dream that I have ever had was last year.
    I dreamt that I saw a man in a hospital bed and I heard the words 2 weeks.
    At the time my dad was ill and I thought it might have been something to do with him.
    I told my family about the dream and we worked out that the date was the 8th of July.

Approaching that date a very good friend of mine fell ill and died on the 8th of July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Anyone want to give this one a shot? I have my own ideas as to what some of it means but wouldn't mind hearing from someone who knows what they're on about (or at least thinks they do ;)).

A copy of the post I made to the Lucid Dream thread, btw; and yea, it's a bit long...

...I'll do my best to recall this dream, it's one of the best and most memorable I've had and I think could well have been the first time I achived lucidity in a dream (where you gain actual control of your actions.. sort of like experiencing the dream world with a sober head).

Bit of background : I spent a year in Prague last year and it was, iirc, towards the start of the summer that I had this dream. I was living with a couple of friends from Donegal and also with a guy from Rosscommon who I had met in Prague a few months earlier.

The guy from Roscommon was a a self confessed 'spiritual guru' (his words, not mine. he was also more than a little bit crazy). Myself and one of my Donegal friends had been interested in spirituality for a few years, perticularly Buddhism in my case, and were spending consideribly more time on the subject than we had done before. We were all quite aware of the energy, good and bad, in the house and between us all.

I was also coming to terms with my homosexuality at the time so, in a nut shell, it was altogether a pretty crazy few months.

Onto the dream : At the start of the dream myself and my two friends from Donegal were looking at a house with the prospect of renting it. The house itself I didn't recognise but the area I knew well as being my hometown in Donegal, not far from where the three of us did in fact rent a house the year before moving to Prague. The house was graet anyway and the dream seemed to move forward in time to a point where we had moved in.

Next thing I remember the landlord was knocking on the back door. He seemed very annoyed about something and demanded that myself and my friend follow him outside. We walked with him around to the side of the house -- taking the very long way around for some reason. At the side of the house he pointed angrally to a mark on the wall, which seemed to be the remains of a bird that had smashed itself against it. I remember thinking it was a bit odd that he give out to us for this.

After that things started to get a bit strange. My friend and the landlord continued walking up towards our towns main street and I found myself lagging behind. There was a strong wind which was holding me back while they seemed uneffected by it and then seemingly oblivious to the fact I was there at all.. they kept walking, getting further and further away.

On the main street they crossed the road on headed down another side street. I crossed over to follow them but as I turned into the side street the wind became unbearably strong and I simply coundn't go after them.. it was like a barrier holding me back. I turned away and walked slowly down the main street instead.

Everything on the street seemed fairly normal, and very vivid, except the cars were going the wrong way (it's a one-way street). As I walked on some sort of wedding procession came up the road, passing me by on the right hand side. The people in the cars were celebrating wildly and as they passed they rolled down their windows and started cheering and clapping at me. At this point I noticed I had started to float about half a foot off the ground.. this seemed to be what they were cheering about.

This is when lucidity kicked in and I realised I could have a bit of fun with this. I smiled and waved back and then did a little Superman impression with my arms stretched out in front of me.. I couldn't get my legs up behind me (as superman flys) they were more or less 'walking' just a little bit above the ground. The people in the cars thought this was great craic anyway and cheered louder.. I was only too happy to entertain.

When I got to the bottom of the street I soared upwards over the buildings and towards where we used to live. The sceanery was different (and much nicer) than it actually is. I got a bit anxious when I realised I had gone very high, as I had never done this before, and tried to find a way to get back down.

I saw a huge tree in a big walled garden and decided to make towards that.. I spiraled around the tree, sort of using it as a gravitational force or something, and started to wind downwards. Made it about half way down and then landed on a branch.

I got very scared all of a suddon because I was still very high up and wasn't at all sure that I could fly again if I took a step off the branch. I also found myself suddenly holding a stack of CD's.. I dropped these quickly and grabbed the tree trunk for support. Then I remembered that I was in control and there was nothing at all to be frightened about.

Next time I looked down, the branch I was standing on was no more than a meter or two of the ground and I just jumped down and started gathering up the broken pieces of CD's. I got another fright when I looked over and saw a couple of young bear cubs (about the size of myself) sitting by a bush not too far away from me. Then again I rememberd there was no need for fear and tried not to pay them too much attention (just in case they might attack if I started stairing or something). One thing I do remember is that they were sitting playing on a bunch of the most beautiful and vividly purple leaves I've ever seen (or dreamt).

One of the cubs made there way towards me, I still tried not to look at him directly, and just sat down beside me playing with his leaves.

Next thing I noticed someone knocking on the window of the house behind me. I thought they were giving out about me being in the garden and I started trying to explain myself. The guy at the window laughed and shook his head, then came out the side door to talk to me.

Turns out they had been 'waiting for me' and he invited me in to 'meet the rest of them'. Inside the house there were a bunch of people sitting around the kitchen table and someone else preparing a meal. The food smelt wonderful, first time I remember a sense of smell in a dream. Everyone introduced themselves and then the food was served. I woke up just as the plate was put in front of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

One of my top fave actresses is Milla Jovovich, and I remember I kept havin this dream where I went to this little hairdressers, and she worked there, n we'd chat

then had one where we went out clubbin, then to a gaff party

nice dreams :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Woah Goodshape.
    Last night dream, let skimp on the details, involved my worst childhood memory combined with my worst 'adult' one. Ie, it happened in the place of my childhood memory with the girl of the adult one. It was really weird, rather shocking when I woke up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

http://www.dreammoods.com/

This is a good site for dream interpretation. Has some interesting ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I think rather then having one thread which will lead to pollution have thread headers instead (list in charter).

For example.

"My crazy dream [*]"

[*] would mean you want it interpreted.

Maybe have further tags to the type of interpretation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I agree that one thread would be a bit much and would get very messy. People should feel free to post separate threads on their specific dreams.

I think that most people who post their dreams here will be open to others' interpretations. If posters do not wish to have their dreams interpreted then they should express that in their opening post.

EDIT: The way this thread has gone, I think it should be used to discuss dream analysis/interpretation itself as there has already been some information provided on the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 amok

Is there any science behind it or is it more of a mystical thing like card reading? Also even with science behind it lets say I dream about a black dog and you also dream about a black dog, wouldn't he represent different things in our different lives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Ye, its a weird one, people on here do it though. But id say in order for it to be really accurate youd have to do it yourself, as youd know what it could represent. Id say it's more accurate than card reading anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Someone might come along and correct me here, but as I understand it dream interpretation is to do with identifying the symbolism of a dream and its most likely meaning in the life of the dreamer.

Interpreting someone else's dream can be a very hard thing to do. As you said, a black dog could mean something very different for each of us. However, at the same time both of us live in the same general society which teaches us the meaning and value of many things, enabling some surface level interpretation at least.

An example of this would be the classic 'teeth falling out' dream/nightmare. In our society we place a lot emphasis on public image and acceptance, so any disfigurement -- something going wrong with that shiny hollywood smile -- can be interpreted as a fear for the dreamers self image. But this will never hold true for all people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

*'dream interpretation : how is it done?' thread merged.*

Advertisement