Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom 105.2 is the FM out?

Options
  • 29-07-2006 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

After listening to the main stage podcast I have to ask, has Phantom undergone a name change from Phantom FM to Phantom 105.2?

Have you Borg'd (or to be more "now" Cyberman'd) your name?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Well, we'll still be on FM! :D

Been borg'd - is that legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Only at certain Star Trek conventions.

Seriously though can I ask why the decision was made to change it? Almost every other radio station in Dublin incorporates their number into there name, it seems like its been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

yeah why the change? Phantom FM has more of ring to it.. but i guess as long as the name is the only thing that changes about the station it really doesn't matter..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Well do you call Newstalk "Newstalk" or "Newstalk 106" when you chat about it? And do you say 100-102 Today FM when you're talking about Today FM?

I figure when people talk about stations with a word and a number (like Newstalk and now Phantom) they tend to drop the number, it's only used in the full name when it's the core of it (fm104, 98fm etc.)

Putting the frequency in the name is a great way of cementing the location of the site, especially for phantom whom have had so many frequencies over the years, from its pirate days to its numerous temp licences.
    After a while the emphasis on the frequency will probably take a back seat, compared to the initial push (again, look at Newstalk, they launched and kept going on about Newstalk 106, not so much any more because people know where to find it; they'll probably re-emphasise the frequency when they go national later this year).

There aren't really any commercial radio stations that don't put the frequency in their names or their stings to be honest.

Yes and this was where Phantom had a chance to be "Alternative".

• Advertisement

Yes and this was where Phantom had a chance to be "Alternative".

I hope Phantom have a slightly more ambitious concept of alternative radio than that;
    I'm looking forward to a fresh approach to many things (presentation style, music, content, current affairs coverage etc.) but the name isn't something that I'd deem important to an alternative station.
    Saying they're alternative because of their (remotely) unusual name format isn't going to win them any listenership.

I probably should have put a smiley at the end to indicate the sarcasm.

I agree with you flogen I am also looking forward to a fresh approach to all the things you mentioned.

Still though Phantom 105.2 sounds so much more mundane than Phantom Fm to me.

oh right... thought you were serious there for a sec :D

Ah, they'll still be phantom tbh... I never really even called them phantom fm

Still I would like the know the thought process behind the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Still I would like the know the thought process behind the change.

probably just the way things are done these days. look at most stations, they use their frequency in their names most of the time, much like american stations use their call signs in their name

doesn't matter either way tbh, i always called it "phantom" in the first place.

i'm more interested in, as flogen said, how they present themselves in terms of format, music content (variety is the spice of life i'll have you know!) and rubbish talk by two men sharing very similar radio names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hi Gerard,

Thought process to identify as Phantom 105.2 is shockin straightforward to be honest. Here goes the story of Phantom 105.2:

We (Phantom 105.2) are coming on air soon having been delayed for a long long long time. When we were on with the Temp licences the station was referred to by the frequency we were on (97.3 and then 92.1). Before that, we had been on 91.6, 105.3, 88.1 and 102.9 and probably others too.

So, we need to let people know what frequency we are now going to be on (permanently!) so therefore we refer to it as Phantom 105.2 same as it was Phantom 92.1 or indeed PhantomFm.com for the online service. Of course its still Phantom, but we have to let as many people as possible know where they will be able to find us....105.2. Repeat regularly...Phantom 105.2

The music will be the music that Phantom always plays and yes, rubbish shall be talked by two men with very similar radio names of course!

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom 105.2
    www.phantomfm.com
    reed@phantomfm.com

Thank you Pete.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Pete Reed wrote:
    So, we need to let people know what frequency we are now going to be on (permanently!) so therefore we refer to it as Phantom 105.2

Pete Reed
    Phantom 105.2
    www.phantomfm.com
    reed@phantomfm.com

Really? I didn't realise that frequencies are issued on a permanent basis to stations, are you sure its permanent pete?

The Muppet wrote:
    Really? I didn't realise that frequencies are issued on a permanent basis to stations, are you sure its permanent pete?

For the length of the contract I'm pretty sure it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

The Muppet wrote:

Heehee, good point, lets clarify that. As Flogen said, it is theoretically our frequency for the 10 year duration of the contract. Nothing is of course set in stone but its a lot more permanent than 15 weekends on 97.3 ;)

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom 105.2
    reed@phantomfm.com
    www.phantomfm.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Pete Reed wrote:
    Heehee, good point, lets clarify that. As Flogen said, it is theoretically our frequency for the 10 year duration of the contract. Nothing is of course set in stone but its a lot more permanent than 15 weekends on 97.3 ;)

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom 105.2
    reed@phantomfm.com
    www.phantomfm.com

:) True, the best of luck with the station Pete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

Well I was scanning over this thread and my eye just caught something and now I'll always think of you as Permanent Pete.

BTW - any idea when you're going on air?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

there be badges with phantom 105.2 on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

Rockiemalt wrote:
    there be badges with phantom 105.2 on :)
    me's gots one!
    actually i took 9.
    :o
    but i'll spread them round don't worry. Your little marketing monkey at your service!

Looking forward to the great return!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭EdBanger

I still wear my old Phantom FM Tshirt I won by accosting Sinister Pete at the open Day up on Grafton street lol its old and faded, and maybe even a little moth eaten but I wear it with pride around town some times

• Advertisement
Advertisement