Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Choice

Options
  • 29-07-2006 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am going from 3rd year into 5th year and was wondering about a few things regarding subject choice.

Ive picked

French(to get into college)
    Geography
    Technical Drawing
    Physics

I am not really sure what I want to be but something to do with design, factors of constructing buildings, drawings, computer orientated stuff.

Anyway what kind of careers would these subjects get me? With Honours maths, honours english and pass irish....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

i know this was only me personally, but my subjects were just chosen randomly from what i was interested in, nothin to do with college. and i know that some people have to consider it, but i suppose i was lucky cos it wasnt a factor for me (i didnt know then what i wanted to then, but i knew it wasnt gonna be anything that would require honours maths :D )

so i picked from my ineterests -music and history i both really wanted. physics was the best from another group, and geography was just a filler i guess (shockingly boring.. just my opinion.. some people love it).

really there like you have a science subject, honours maths, a language, so you should be fine for most?

UNLESS you wanna be a primary school teacher, cos then you're screwed without honours Irish ;)

really it just depends how you do in them all, what grades you get in them, which'll determine your points which is ultimately the most important thing really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

o ok, thanks for that rockerette

Yea I like those four subjects, but I picked french for college.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mrac

Design wise Technical Drawing and Physics are good choices (for any kinda design) Honours maths is perhaps the most important (if you want to go into the engineering side of things) but for allot of technical subjects at most uni's there aren’t any prerequisites other than honours maths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

For Technical Drawing you will be doing the new course. You will only have one paper instead of two but you will have to provide a portfolio which will be all drawings on CAD. It sounds a lot better then the old course but it cud be a mess just look at the new Geog course we did this year no one had a clue about how it was going to be marked or how to write the field study.

Are you sure the new tech d course is on cad as I was asking my teacher and i think he said it will be only implemented the year after...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Sorry my bad, I was thinkin in the way of my school(TY is compulsory) were 3rd yrs wud be the 1st year to do it. :o

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/examiners_reports/cer_2005/TechnicalDrawingHighrrandOrdinary2006.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

The way I've always looked at is -

A science subject
    A businessy subject
    A language
    and a subject that intrests you or which you need for a course

Don't do lots of the same type because chances are you'll change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Here's what i did. i had similar college interests.

Irish=compulosry
    English=compulsory
    Maths=compulsory. i did honours because i thought i might want to do a degree in engineering which requires honurs maths. ordinary is fine if you do a diploma or cert but it takes at least a year longer that way.
    French= i did this just to meet matriculation for universities.
    Physics=engineering based subject, alot of calculating and problem solving and i also did it because it meets science requirments.
    Construction= I never did woodwork but i still loved this subject and its probably the most suitable subject for civil engineering.
    Tech Drawing= Loved it for junior cert and i was also considering architecture for a while.
    LCVP= This was a big mistake for me. It was a waste of time.

I hope now to do Civil Engineering (results pending) and with the exception of LCVP i have no regrets about my subject choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

Seriously only do subjects that interest you is the only advice I can give.
    No point in doing brutally difficult subjects that you don't need, so many of my friends did things like Biology "just for a good balance" and halfway through 5th year they just hated it so much and it would be one of those subjects that now they're worried about for points.
    I did Business, Economics, Geography and French. If you have a good teacher, get plenty of work and study to do you should do well. My Geography and Economics teachers in school were awful unfortunately so I'm sweating it out now to see my points I'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

You can pretty much do anything. Leaving Cert subjects don't really matter. You'll be studying it all in college anyway.

• Advertisement

I like all the subjects ive picked, although physics looks tricky ...

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

shortys94 wrote:
    I like all the subjects ive picked, although physics looks tricky ...

its not really....just make sure you dont just not learn your experiments cos you're not bothered....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

and work in 5th year..

there was still about 1/3 of the physics course that went riiiight over my head.. but sure, that was stuff i'd never understand..!
    its not too bad at all,
    best of all though, most of it is interesting enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Yeah it's a good subject which I enjoyed studying - my grinds teacher was a legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Just pick wha ye want

if ye dont like it then ill doubt you'll be doin a course ye need it for

[except maths and a language]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

If your into maths and kinda of problem solving and its taught well in your school applied maths is and excellent subject and easy to do in two years. I hated physics and ended up taking the ordinary paper because i didnt do any work but we had a really bad teacher. TD is a great subject if your anyway inclinded and good for getting top marks as well as being very interesting. Geography is the most boring subject and i hate the new course but if you like english it might be the way to go theres alot of essay style questions and writing (which i think is bull its a geog exam not an english).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mairead-Mermaid

shortys94 wrote:
    Hi

I am going from 3rd year into 5th year and was wondering about a few things regarding subject choice.

Ive picked

French(to get into college)
    Geography
    Technical Drawing
    Physics

I am not really sure what I want to be but something to do with design, factors of constructing buildings, drawings, computer orientated stuff.

Anyway what kind of careers would these subjects get me? With Honours maths, honours english and pass irish....
    ===============
    :)
    It took me ages to decide on a career, I could not figure what I wanted to do. If you really have no clue at all then it is important to seek help from your guidance counsellor. They should be able to give you an evaluation form where you fill in experiences and do a self evaluation. I did one that even included asking my friends and my parents for an honest appraisal of
    me. It really helped me.

Yea, erm the geography course aint too boring is it? I liked the junior cert course.

Only thing about Techincal drawing is that i think the way the exam is carried out should be reveiwed, i found it very stressful to do all my work in the junior cert exam in the time allocated, i did good in the mocks and got an A but i rushed my exam paper in june because i was running out of time and it was a bit messy, i find it hard to sellotape the paper and then go through bordering and all that.... I know people say the junior cert results dont matter, but I would have like to have more time to clean up my messiness in my exam, i did 5 questions just in case and just realised how to finish one drawing at the end of the exam and had no time

Advertisement