Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

need help and clarification

• 30-07-2006 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hey guys,

heres the situation:

I currently have a nokia 3510i :o on o2 speakeasy

I want to get a NEW! better phone and have been looking at the nokia N70 (any opinions?)

I also want to keep my exsisting mobile number switch to meteor:confused:

Now after pulling tooth and nail in various phone shops to try to find out how to do this, i have come to no avail and was wondering if you guys could provide an answer to my problems?

all i keep hearing is that ill have to get it unloacked or something but they never quite clarify anything i ask in the shops.

Could you guys offer me a solution or help me in some way?
    pleeesee:D

Thanks

ag.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

how do you intend on purchasing the phone?

you're gonna probably have to buy the phone sim-free (which means it's unlocked and can take any mobile operator sim card) from the likes of here http://www.expansys.ie/product.asp?code=131701

this is just one way of doing it as i'm unsure as to whether any irish mobile operator carries the n70 as a pay as you go phone.

then all you do is go into a meteor store and ask them to port your exsisting number over to their network.

Yep, as Cremo said.

You won't be able to buy the Vodafone version since the N70 is not unlockable except by the operator who locked it (and Vodafone won't do it unless you've spent €127 credit with them). So you'll need to get it SIM free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 anythingoes

is it possible i could switch to vodafone with my existing phone and upgrade to the N70?

Then switch to meteor?

is it possible i could switch to vodafone with my existing phone and upgrade to the N70?

Then switch to meteor?
    No, because the phone will only accept a Vodafone SIM. If you stayed with Vodafone long enough to spend €127 credit with them then yes.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated!

so what i should do is:

switch to vodafone...
    upgrade to the n70...
    wait til iv accumulated €127 credit spent...

switch to meteor? whats the story after iv spent €127? will vodafone unlock it straight away?

and does anyone have any thoughts on the N70? is it a good choice?

• Advertisement

so what i should do is:

switch to vodafone...
    upgrade to the n70...

switch to meteor? whats the story after iv spent €127? will vodafone unlock it straight away?

Once you've accumulated the €127 contact Vodafone and request the unlock code. When you have it and the phone is unlocked then you can port.

I don't know about the N70 but I have the 6680 and love it. :)

to be totally honest with you doing the sums here in my head

n70 online with vodafone pay as you go upgrade..... 319 euros
    127 euros call credit........................................... 127 euros
    total................................................................ 446 euros

cost of the n70 on expansys................................ 384 euros
    porting to meteor............................................... free
    total................................................................ 384 euros

that's a saving of 62 euros plus you don't have to pay for all that credit plus time wasted using that credit aswell.

i have no views on the nokia n70 myself as i'm a converted nokia to Sony Ericsson user now, haven't used a nokia since the 3200.

Cremo wrote:

that's a saving of 62 euros plus you don't have to pay for all that credit plus time wasted using that credit aswell.

i have no views on the nokia n70 myself as i'm a converted nokia to Sony Ericsson user now, haven't used a nokia since the 3200.
    Good thinking. OP, I'd say go with the SIM free option.

okay, thanks for all your posts! you guys have cleared up a heap of stuff that i have not been able to get clarified in a week! so thank you all!

is there any other recomendations? i mean like...if you were in my position i.e crap phone, crap network, wanted to change, what would ye all do??????

I couldn't help you with the network thing, still unsure myself. I've got two phones, one O2 and the other Meteor. It's great to be able to text the girlfriend for free, but I need e-mail and Meteor don't support it properly.

I learned the hard way about phones, bought loads of them because I had money to burn! I wouldn't recommend it! ;)

• Advertisement

ok, cheers dude!

does anyone have any comments about the N70 as a phone??? is it worth it???

this may help, this is the same site that reviewed my k750i and made me purchase one based on the review.

here they do the n70
    http://www.mobile-review.com/review/nokia-n70-en.shtml

so i went into the carphone warehouse earlier on today and enquired bout the nokia N70, I was told basically that it was a pile of garbage, absolutely crawling with faults and was an overall poxy phone, that they recieved so many complaints and returns of them and that it was a bad choice of phone for the price it was being sold at, that i'd probably be back in a month with the N70 and be really pissed off...

she kept telling me about the sony ericsons, ''we all have one'' she kept saying but, i could not help but think she was trying to get rid of the sony stock. i picked up 2 catalogs and the w800i (sp? - its the walkman one) was marked with biro on both copies...while i appreciate her honesty i cant help but think she was plugging the sony's to get rid of stock...(insert conspiracy theory here)...

can anyone verify wheather she's talking the truth or just trying to make a sale on a sony? I really dont want to part with that much cash to have to take the phone back in a month's time...

so now i'm totally lost, have 300-350 euro to spend on a phone and do not know what on earth to buy. i want something good, reliable, stylish, all the usual etc. can anyone advise me on what to get?:confused:

help? please!?
    thanks

ag.

right well i've atm the SE k750i which is the exact same phone as the W800i except the W800i comes with a bigger memory card and a different cover.

my mate have the w800i and he loves it. the phone is tiny, same size as my one and i feel like most times it's not even in my pocket when i used nokias before i knew they were in my pocket - if you know what i mean.

the mp3 player is good but not great in my opinion, if you wanted to use your own headphones with them you needed a special adapter - not included - and then if a call came through you'd have to disconnect it and then when the call is over the music restarts and plays over the loud speaker until you plug the headphones back in. you don't have this problem if you use the headphones provided as they are a handsfree kit too so you don't disconnect them when a call comes through.

the camera on them is a 2megapixel which is on par with the n70, there's tons of options to use with the camera like macro mode and night mode also shooting options like panarama, burst shots. there's also options to shoot b&w, sepia, negative etc.

they are an excellent phone in my humble opinion and had everything i wanted in a phone, good camera/brilliant battery/small and compact.

she wasn't trying to fob you off and trying to get rid of stock, she was just making sure you know all your options before splitting with your hard earned cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

@Cremo
    The W800i has the walkman feature which the k750i doesn't. Having used both Walkman and non Walkman I have to say I really do prefer the Walkman over the non Walkman device. Having said that, the Walkman doesn't justify the awful price difference between k750i and w800i.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The n70 had software issues and nokia recalled them. The current stock is fine. no point really in going for a w800i over a k750i, just not worth the difference. I hear CPW recommend whatever gives them the most commision in general, but sony ericsson phones are generally excellent.

ok, i'm kinda being put off the n70 now anyways, and iv been reading up on sony and they look pretty good.

can you recomend a phone to get? i'm looking for something with all mod cons, stylish but reliable etc. my price range is €300, maybe a little more, If you had the cash and had to make a decision, what would you do?

k750i if i had to stay around that budget. but it would give you some money left over...

http://www.expansys.ie/product.asp?code=K750I_BLACK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

so what i should do is:

switch to vodafone...
    upgrade to the n70...

vodafone might unlock it straight away. sometimes you'll get someone who is, for want of a better word, a c*nt and he or she will tell you all manner of lies to get out of giving you the code. just persevere and you'll get it. no matter what they say, they have the code and once you've spent €127 you're legally entitled to it
    Cremo wrote:

that's kind of flawed logic. here's a better one:

127 euros not spend on other call credit.................-127 euros
    total................................................................ 319 euros

i realise vodafone credit doesn't go as far as meteor credit but you can't just completely discount the credit. its not wasted, its used

and if you haven't used a nokia since the 3200, you've been unfairly biased against them. its sh!te.

to the OP, i had a 6680 for a year and loved it. i upgraded to the n70 last week and i love it more. the buttons are smaller but you get used to it very quickly. other than that its great

the girl in CPW is out of date. there was a dodgy batch that was recalled and the new ones are fine. the same thing happened to the w800i when it first came out and the 6230i

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

To be honest, the girl in CPW is trying to fob off old stock on you. The W800i has been replaced by the W810i. Granted the W800i is still an amazing phone, but I'd wager that they have to get rid of the old stock before they get full allocation of new stock.

• Advertisement

i realise that the credit is not wasted, it is indeed used i should of made it clearer that, it's time that is wasted using the said credit. going by my own habits 127 euros credit would take about 6 months to use up, then unlock and port to meteor.
    and if you haven't used a nokia since the 3200, you've been unfairly biased against them. its sh!te.

well the 3200 was my last well used phone from them, i have used 3330, 7210, 6600, 6680 since that but not for long periods of time.
    To be honest, the girl in CPW is trying to fob off old stock on you. The W800i has been replaced by the W810i. Granted the W800i is still an amazing phone, but I'd wager that they have to get rid of the old stock before they get full allocation of new stock.

well that is true but it's not the most up to date phone but then again you can turn around and say neither is the n70, just look at the n93 for example. still though w800i is a great phone.

so, went into vodafone shop on my way home from work and enquired about the Nokia 6280, after reading the review on mobile-review.com. (great site, thanks cremo!) I really really liked it and would have bought it on the spot, but the sales assistant told me they wouldn't have it, not until september.

Ok i thought, so I decided to pop onto another branch of carphone warehouse today (not the same one I was in yesterday), and I enquired about the 6280. In his exact words:

''vodafone will never bring out this phone, never. supposed to be out in janurary but didnt happen - I can assure you this phone will probably never appear on vodafone...at all. now you could try three mobile, but have you looked at our other models? the sony ericsson's for example are great great phones...''

I was kinda gobsmacked after the SE sales pitch thrown at me yesterday, and now i'm convinced there has to be something going on with them, they seem to be really trying to shift these phones as chrislad suggested earlier.

so what to do now? really REALLY confused now!
    should I:
    - just go for it and buy the N70 on vodafone (commander vimes can you give me more info? do you like it? is it worth it?)
    - wait for the 6280 on vodafone
    - buy the 6280 with three and try the switch to meteor/vodafone (can you do this????)
    - or should I just conform and join the sony brigade????
    - btw, i seen a new LG Chocolate phone? any sceal on this???

I'm not against sony, its just I had my heart set on a high end nokia, and i'd find it really hard to switch! I never even tried a SE model before so i'm biased completely in that respect and since i'm using a really crappy nokia 3510i...for the past 2yrs (I KNOW, i know its old, but iv learned to live with the shame...but no longer!!!!) I really dont know what to do now!!!!! Its gotten to the point where I have to get a new phone...seriously!

everybody's 2cents greatly appreciated...

ag. (PS...help!)

tbh if it's a high end phone you want you're best off going in there and asking to play around with a non demo model.

most people here that have high end phones will only have 1, unless some are totally made of cash (me wishes).

with anything electronic you will not get a definitive answer from a bunch of forum users.

so go back into the shops, ask to try proper non-demo phones and decide for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

once you've spent €127 you're legally entitled to it

Under which law is this?

Thanks cremo, Im a long time reader, infrequent poster and tbh as a bunch on forum users ye all know loads more than the sales assistants in any shops! and ye guys seem to know actual stuff rather than rambling off the sales advert for the product. So I respect what you've all got to say and that's why I seek all of you're advice.

when I find a spare moment in time, I will go and ask to see and use some non demo models. But I want to kinda suss out the good from the bad before I part with the money.

Is there any phones you guys would avoid even thinking about buying???

so, went into vodafone shop on my way home from work and enquired about the Nokia 6280, after reading the review on mobile-review.com. (great site, thanks cremo!) I really really liked it and would have bought it on the spot, but the sales assistant told me they wouldn't have it, not until september.

the 6280's alright but what put me off it is the standard nokia interface. i couldn't go back to s40 after having a symbian phone for a year
    Ok i thought, so I decided to pop onto another branch of carphone warehouse today (not the same one I was in yesterday), and I enquired about the 6280. In his exact words:

''vodafone will never bring out this phone, never. supposed to be out in janurary but didnt happen - I can assure you this phone will probably never appear on vodafone...at all. now you could try three mobile, but have you looked at our other models? the sony ericsson's for example are great great phones...''
    he doesn't know that. having worked in a phone shop i can tell you they don't tell the people in the shops anything. sony ericssons are good phones but i just prefer nokia.

- just go for it and buy the N70 on vodafone (commander vimes can you give me more info? do you like it? is it worth it?)
    i only paid 169 for it and i'm getting most of that back when i sell my 6680 (as soon as 3 stop being w*nkers with the unlock code) so it was worth it for me :)
    as i said i love the symbian interface and all the stuff you can do with it. the phone is smaller and lighter than the 6680. its a bit slow but all symbian phones are, i got over it. the 2MP camera with 20x zoom is always good and the sliding back stops it getting scratched. the flash is much better than the 6680's. honestly, i like it. but then its pretty much my old phone with one or two drawbacks taken out like the lack of a radio
    - wait for the 6280 on vodafone
    i wouldn't wait. by the time they bring it out (if they do) you'll want a different phone
    - buy the 6280 with three and try the switch to meteor/vodafone (can you do this????)
    nope. they can only be unlocked by three and as i said, they're being w*nkers about it. they keep insisting they don't have the saoftware for it. its all bs
    - or should I just conform and join the sony brigade????
    nothing wrong with that. they're good phones
    - btw, i seen a new LG Chocolate phone? any sceal on this???
    don't go for it. you said you wanted a high end phone. high end it is not
    Pythia wrote:
    Under which law is this?
    its possibly not written specifically into law but its one of the terms and conditions and if they don't follow them they're in breach of contract right?*

and if they tell you they can't get the unlock code for a 6230, they're lying bastards right?
    ^
    |
    |
    actually happened

*i'm not a legal expert. you may have noticed

anything with the dreaded M on it (motorola)

Thanks cremo, Im a long time reader, infrequent poster and tbh as a bunch on forum users ye all know loads more than the sales assistants in any shops! and ye guys seem to know actual stuff rather than rambling off the sales advert for the product. So I respect what you've all got to say and that's why I seek all of you're advice.

when I find a spare moment in time, I will go and ask to see and use some non demo models. But I want to kinda suss out the good from the bad before I part with the money.

hehe no problem, just remember we were all like you at one stage trying to figure out what's best for your hard earned cash. us forum users are the same we won't settle for anything sub par for high amounts of cash

i'll agree with commander vimes with the subject of motorola phones. their operating system software is god damn awful.

cheers guys, I've narrowed it down to a choice between the N70 and the sony ericsson k750i red...I dunno which one to choose, they both seem on equal par to me...perhaps thats just my naiviety?!?

whats your thoughts on the choices???

also I was wondering where I could get a hold of the radiation ratings (is that what they're called???), you know, ratings of the phones emmissions? that would certinaly help sway any decision i have...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Nokia post their SAR ratings (thats their name) on their website.

The N70 is a symbian phone and is great for adding new applications, or even developing them. It may actualy be overcomplecated for simple users.

The k750i is just a great, sturdy all round phone, good batt life and operating system, but lacks the pda/symbianisms of the n70. Also its gprs instead of 3g.

Advertisement