Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone Connect Card SIM on 3G phone

• 30-07-2006 2:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Since vodafone now have their unlimited data plan ONLY for their connect cards, i have an interesting question: Can i take the SIM from the connect card, with the unlimited data plan, and stick it into a 3G phone, and use that for data? i have been told that voice wont work (as the sim has not got voice enabled) but neither vodafone tech support (tech my ar$e) or the guy in the vodafone shop know for sure, but the guy in the shop did say if i found out it works, he will put it though for me. Any one tried this?

--Tiernan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

lotas wrote:
    Since vodafone now have their unlimited data plan ONLY for their connect cards, i have an interesting question: Can i take the SIM from the connect card, with the unlimited data plan, and stick it into a 3G phone, and use that for data? i have been told that voice wont work (as the sim has not got voice enabled) but neither vodafone tech support (tech my ar$e) or the guy in the vodafone shop know for sure, but the guy in the shop did say if i found out it works, he will put it though for me. Any one tried this?

--Tiernan

I use the SIM from my Vodafone Connect card in my iMate Jasjar and it works perfectly

You can make and receive calls also, but I was told they would be very expensive, but I use the Jasjar just for data anyway.

You need to configure your phone to use the office.vodafone.ie APN as opposed to the normal isp.vodafone.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

SWEET! thats all i needed to know!

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

That's perfect! Is it possible to get a twin sim card for use in a smartphone or pocket pc so you don't have to take it out of the pcmcia card every time you want to use it in the phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Isnt there a limit for some phones of 115kbps when acting as a modem?

Ie it will be only 1/3 of the speed you could expect from 3G.

Obviously this wont be an issue for Pocket PC type phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

well, if your phone can recieve the connection at full 3g speeds, then technically no. your only limitation then is your connection between the phone and device you want connected. with bluetooth your limit is about 1mb/s and serial is 115k/s, give or take.

• Advertisement

Isnt there a limit for some phones of 115kbps when acting as a modem?

Ie it will be only 1/3 of the speed you could expect from 3G.

Obviously this wont be an issue for Pocket PC type phones.
    The maximum DTE rate of the Nokia 6680 is 460,800 bps so it depends on the phone really. I think the Motorola RAZR V3x is 230,400 which could be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

lotas wrote:

--Tiernan

hi.
    can anyone confirm here if the datacard sim is just data-enabled not voice-enabled?

ie can you use the datacard sim in a phone with both a voice tarriff and the unlimited data tarriff?

if so, that would be extremely handy. you could share the sim between the datacard (when at home or less mobile) and the phone when out and about (for both voice and "unlimited" data).

on the other hand i suppose, the datacard sim could theoretically be used to make data based voice calls with voip software on high-end phones (preferrably 3g- enabled ones) to other voip-enabled phones (a bit restrictive, admittedly unless you get something like skype-out credit which to other mobiles costs a bit anyway) but vodafone advise against using the unlimited data bundle for this purpose anyway.

and presumably using the sim for data based calls would exceed the 5gb limit in no time leading to exorbitant bills (or am i wrong?).

can anyone put me straight on this. vodafone support were a bit in the dark about the exact uses of the datacard's sim.

thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

mkennedy wrote:
    and presumably using the sim for data based calls would exceed the 5gb limit in no time leading to exorbitant bills (or am i wrong?).

Who told you there's a 5gb limit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

flodis79 wrote:
    Who told you there's a 5gb limit?

i'm fairly sure i read somewhere (on another post in this forum in the last week or so, afair)
    that there's a fairuse limit of 5gb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

lotas wrote:
    with bluetooth your limit is about 1mb/s and serial is 115k/s, give or take.

Im sure there is a 115Kpbs limit on some phones bluetooth implementations as well. Maybe the earlier ones.
    mckennedy wrote:
    vodafone advise against using the unlimited data bundle for this purpose anyway.

Not only advise against it - they forbid it in their T&C's for the data bundle.

Now Im not sure wether they will take action against it now, but they might in the future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement