Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

drunk driver?

Options
  • 30-07-2006 2:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

Stopped at a chipper tonight and there was a fella at the counter waiting for his order, seemed Ok untill he got his chips and walked/waddled out to his VAN and got in, pissed as a fart. Sat in his car and ate his chips. I got my order and left, but still feel that I probably should have called the cops and told them about him, granted, I didn't see him drive but I imagine He was going too when he had his nosebag.TBH honest part of me felt like I would be a rat and I should mind my own buisness, I also feel that drinkdriving is a disgrace and offenders need to be taken off the road for good for every ones sake and the absolute stupidity of it in this day and age is something I can not comprehend, apart from the danger, risking his livelyhood with the loss of a licence is nearly guareteed if caught I would think.Anyway, I didn't report him, would you have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

wasting your time mate. My sister has been trying to get her local cops for nealry a year to do something about her neighbour who passes her place daily pi$$ed. They cautioned HER for harassing him. TYPICAL....!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Should have reported him. He's going to end up killing someone at some point.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Does reporting actually work?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kbannon wrote:

The radio controllers regularly send Gardai after reported drunk drivers. They are usually referred to as "suspected section 49ers" (from section 49 of the Road Traffic Act 1963).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

It is your business. You are a road user. He might do the same next week as he has gotten away with it in the past. Next week he may crash into you. You should have reported him for the sake of your own conscience if nothing else. What if he had hit somebody or another car on the way home. How would you feel, knowing that you could have maybe done something to prevent it?

The effectiveness of reporting it depends on how busy the gardai are, proximity to a garda station/ squad car, etc. But if something did happen when the guy was driving home, they would have the call logged and know that he had appeared intoxicated to other road users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

Same thing happened me last nite....I was coming down the M50 about 5 in the morning and I came up behind an E-class Merc on my off ramp...he was veerin all over the road....when I got to the top of the ramp I pulled up beside him...some aul lad in his 60s...really annoyed me but yeh I wasn't sure what the point of reporting him would be....not much chance of the cops catchin him

All I'm saying is my sister has been more or less told if she doesn't stop complaining about her neighbour they will take action against her.

He speeds past her house down the lane to his house daily off his trolley and she is getting no satisfaction from plod. He obviously has his hand up their rear ends so far, they don't want to do anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Lex Luthor wrote:
    All I'm saying is my sister has been more or less told if she doesn't stop complaining about her neighbour they will take action against her.

He speeds past her house down the lane to his house daily off his trolley and she is getting no satisfaction from plod. He obviously has his hand up their rear ends so far, they don't want to do anything about it.
    Really? She should make a complaint against the Gardai for dereliction of duty. She is reporting a person commiting a criminal offence, the Gardai have a duty to action her complaint.

BTW is this asshole aware of her complaints to the Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Bond-007 wrote:
    Really? She should make a complaint against the Gardai for dereliction of duty. She is reporting a person commiting a criminal offence, the Gardai have a duty to action her complaint.
    Unfortunately this "service" from the Gardai is all too common and only results in threats against you/making yourself a target. :mad:

God fobid they should actually DO their jobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Lex Luthor wrote:
    wasting your time mate. My sister has been trying to get her local cops for nealry a year to do something about her neighbour who passes her place daily pi$$ed. They cautioned HER for harassing him. TYPICAL....!!!!!!!

so all guards will be like that, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Unfortunately this "service" from the Gardai is all too common and only results in threats against you/making yourself a target. :mad:

God fobid they should actually DO their jobs!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

You've a 50/50 chance of the guards bothering to follow it up from my experience.

Last two complaints I made were about an idiot on the M50 driving home daily in the hard shoulder and a taxi driver who thought he was a right little hard man. I got a call back on one of them, what it achieved however, very little. I won't bother wasting my time in the future.

They may take a drink driving complaint more seriously however.

Bond-007 wrote:
    BTW is this asshole aware of her complaints to the Gardai?
    of course he is....he claims she has a personal vendetta against him because he claims that she accused him of poisoning her dog a few years back and has always had a grudge and this is one way of trying to get back at him.

I can see a bit of vigilatee'ism coming out of this if this guy isn't sorted thro the proper channels as there are a few people along that road fearing for their kids as he drives by.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rambler

Lex Luthor wrote:
    of course he is....he claims she has a personal vendetta against him because he claims that she accused him of poisoning her dog a few years back and has always had a grudge and this is one way of trying to get back at him.

I can see a bit of vigilatee'ism coming out of this if this guy isn't sorted thro the proper channels as there are a few people along that road fearing for their kids as he drives by.

I have in the past complained to the guards for vehicles I seen driving in a dangerous manner, the guards spoke to the person in driving but were unable to proceed further unless I was willing to make a statement and appear in court as a witness, now surely the guard your sister spoke to should be able to do the same when she witness this again and if other neighbours are willing to do same then they should be no issue. Guess some neighbours might say don't want to fall out this this guy and so on but if they or someone close to they gets hurt, how will they feel then?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

kbannon wrote:

Not a hope in hell of it!!!

A few lads rent a house across the road form us and they were drinking out on the road last night and then they all proceeded to get into their cars still drinking!! My mam complained about them a few times and the gardai said there was nothing they could do!!

Heres the best part... the cars they drive are:

Golf GTI
    Lacer Evolution
    A4 1.9TDI
    Punto
    Land Cruiser..

They filled all those cars still drinking and tore out of the estate and the gardai say there is notihng they can do!!! Sheer madness is all I have to say!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The reason I asked whether reporting worked was in part down to the trffic watch number which was a waste of a call from what I gather and secondly down to the tale of a friend who was overtaken one night on the N7 by a car which had no tyre on one wheel. With sparks flying everywhere, my friend rang Naas gardai and told them what was happening.
    The garda who answered could just criticise my friend for being on the phone whilst driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lex Luthor wrote:

Surely if those other people reported your man, the guards would action it?

unkel wrote:
    Surely if those other people reported your man, the guards would action it?
    maybe so, but you'd think one person would be enough....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lex Luthor wrote:
    maybe so, but you'd think one person would be enough....

One persons word against one other persons word doesn't mean much from a legal point of view. Many against one is a completely different ball game

For your sisters' sake, get her to convince the neighbours to complain, rather than resorting to taking the law into their hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

I was once in a Starlet ( the ex's) which was overheating, on the N7. I pulled in to the hard shoulder just before the slip road off it, and this guy went bananas behind me, beeping shaking his fist, the whole lot. He pulled in just ahead of me, and watched as i put water in the car, then followed me to the next garage. He sat in the car, staring at me, anger distorting his face.

This went on for several garage stops until I rang the Gardai in Naas. They told me to ring Newbridge. I gave them his details, said I was sure he was following me.

"Pull in, and wait til he goes", they said. I explained that hadn't worked. " Call in here, so", he says.

Genius...

• Advertisement
Advertisement