Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband update [July 2006]

Options
  • 30-07-2006 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

Hi

Rather than digging up older and day-long threads, I hope that the mods won't mind me starting this.

Had been experiencing cable modem "resets" every 2 mins in the last half an hour. We had 10Mbps connection before and now it turns out NTL has downgraded the speed to 6Mbps (as advertised) after having checked the modem config page.

Also noticed that "Maximum Number of CPEs" is now set to 3. It used to be 1 as I remember.

Anyone had experiencing the same thing today? Probably sthing to do with changeover from NTL:UK to UPC.

Mart

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Mine still seems to be set to 10m and 1 CPE. Figures crossed it doesn't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Hi

Another major change is that my IP now being Irish, no longer a UK based address. A whois search has identified my IP as follows :
    inetnum:    89.100.128.0 - 89.100.211.255
    netname:    DBL-INCHICORE-CUSTOMER-CABLE
    descr:     Customers Dublin/Inchicore
    admin-c:    HMCB1-RIPE
    tech-c:     HMCB1-RIPE
    remarks:    Contact Whois Privacy and Spam Prevention by Whois Source concerning criminal
    remarks:    activities like spam, hacks, portscans
    mnt-by:     CHELLO-MNT
    source:     RIPE # Filtered

role:      Hostmaster Chello Broadband
    address:    UPC Broadband
    address:    Internet Services
    address:    Erlachgasse 116
    address:    A-1100 Vienna
    address:    Austria
    phone:     +43 1 96068 5000
    fax-no:     +43 1 96068 5666
    e-mail:     Whois Privacy and Spam Prevention by Whois Source
    admin-c:    AK991-RIPE
    tech-c:     SB666-RIPE
    tech-c:     MG111
    tech-c:     MS2509-RIPE
    tech-c:     AK991-RIPE
    nic-hdl:    HMCB1-RIPE
    mnt-by:     CHELLO-MNT
    source:     RIPE # Filtered

See that Chello branded name of UPC internet service. Just noticed that chello.ie and upc.ie are registered with Blacknight!

Mart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Bloody hell! You're marked as being from Austria?? Are you going to see loads of Austrian ads now?

Crrrazy...
    Chello.ie has been reg'd for ages btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

NiSmO wrote:
    Got a screen grab of it?

• Advertisement

Bloody hell! You're marked as being from Austria?? Are you going to see loads of Austrian ads now?

I'm not marked as being from Austria, that's the contact info of the IPs owners or admins.
    NiSmO wrote:

I am lost abt what you are saying.

Mart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

I'm on 2MBps here in lucan atm... Have been for the past 2 days :(

Is NTL ever going to get fixed? Can I expect this on and off chopy crap for ever? If so I might aswell downgrand to a lower package..

• Advertisement

hi

my NTL is practically useless today, was speaking to Support and as usual I had to play dumb shutting down the PC and powercyling the cable modem for few seconds. i insisted that the problem will be about going over and over again. and only told - nothing they can do about it i.e. until the upgrade is completed.

Mart

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

D. 24 here and everything is grand. Still connected at 10mbit.

TC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I've been trying to get the net back up on my main machine for a while now, As I just discovered as of the last 5 min's, They have dropped me back to 6mb AND the problem not being able to connect on my main machine was the fact I had all the IP's and the DNS entered manually, Not knowing NTL changed DNS server IP ? Discovered that going through my router noticing the DNS server had changed, but that god I got that figured ;)

Hj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Did everyone else get this email from NTL last week?
    Important Customer Notice

We are making some changes to our systems as part of a package of customer service improvements.

We will be upgrading our broadband systems between Friday 28th July and Tuesday 1st August, during this time some broadband customers may experience temporary difficulties when attempting to administer or change their ntlworld settings or services such as:

Accessing ntlworld email accounts via web mail
    Adding extra mailboxes
    Redirecting email
    Setting up an auto reply
    Changing a user name and password
    Amending ntlworld personal web space
    From 1st August, a small number of customers who had previously used an *@ntlworld.com email address to access services will need to switch to the appropriate *@ntlworld.ie alternative, which can be accessed via the new and improved ntlworld web mail interface.

Once the upgrade of our broadband systems is complete you may be required to restart your PC and cable modem. The changes should not affect your broadband service in any other way.

For further updates on this or any other issues affecting your Internet service, please call our Customer Service centre on 1800 321 321.

Thank you for your patience during this upgrade period. We apologise for any inconvenience that may be caused.

ntlworld Customer Service

To Unsubscribe, please click here.

No virus found in this incoming message.
    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
    Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.10.4/399 - Release Date: 25/07/2006

Nothing has change for me yet. My IP still says I'm in Nottingham!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Pretty much what HungryJoey said... internet was down all day, but just power-cycled the entire network (a router and 5 computers :rolleyes: ).... tis back up at 6mbps.

Ah well. 10mbps was nice while it lasted...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

yup 6mb here too !

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

My speeds are still fine, my ip addy is still saying Nothingham, but I am having wicked problems with emails. I have 4 accounts set up in outlook and can receive on all but can only send to certain address. Otherwise I get a 550 relaying mail to however is not allowed.

So far not allowed addresses are

@gmail.com
    @eircom.net
    @iol.ie
    @iolfree.ie
    @esatclear.ie
    @solmelia.com

Probably loads more but there the only mails I have been trying to send. Mind you I was able to send to another ntlworld.ie address using all 4 email accounts. My 4 accounts are 1 ntlworld, 2 iolfree.ie and 1 gmail.com account.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭MrPunch

Got scuppered by the DNS changing from 194.168.4/8.100 to 89.101.160.4/5 too.

Down speed has dropped to 6Mb/s but the upload speed also seems to have dropped significantly. Previously it was reading 2560000, now its only 538000 :mad:

Also the ntl news servers have gone down the toilet it seems. Max concurrent connections is now 3 and the speed averages about 100K/s rather than the princely 1200K/s we had before. :(

john

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I wouldn't be surprised to see the 6meg package meaning 6megs after this upgrade. Since we were piggy backing of the UK system the 10megs was what they were offering, whereas UPC are under no obligation to offer anything more than the 6 which they advertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Just to let you know it dosnt work with AOL and O2 email address's either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Just to re-emphasis what someone else above said and I only noticed now; the new ones are:

If you specify these manually in your TCP/IP properties, you'll need to change them.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I have NTL BB a few years now, but there is no software or anything on my pc to check bandwidth, errors, etc .. is this normal.
    It works fine and very rarely runs slow... even rarer not to work at all...

Ok, as of about 12:00 am on august 1st, I'm pinging 20-24 to irish servers. WTF is it fixed??? :D (lucan)

[edit] but irishisptest.com gives me speeds of like 1meg, though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

mang87 wrote:
    Ok, as of about 12:00 am on august 1st, I'm pinging 20-24 to irish servers. WTF is it fixed??? :D (lucan)

[edit] but irishisptest.com gives me speeds of like 1meg, though...

Are you telling us what happened a year ago or have UPC provided you with a time travel device as well as broadband.

uhm...

I wanna go with time travel, since that's cool, but... im confused

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Mine (Dublin 17) changed over sometime in the last few days. Ripe shows my address as:

inetnum: 89.101.0.0 - 89.101.31.255
    netname: GALWAY-CUSTOMER-CABLE
    descr: Customers Galway
    mnt-by: CHELLO-MNT

Galway??

The connection never failed and speed is 240k down and 25k up on my 2 meg package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

89.100.0.0 - 89.101.255.255
    netname:        IE-NTL-20060222
    descr:          NTL Communications (Ireland) Limited
    org:	        ORG-NCL5-RIPE
    admin-c:        HMCB1-RIPE
    tech-c:         HMCB1-RIPE
    mnt-by:         RIPE-NCC-HM-MNT
    mnt-lower:      CHELLO-MNT
    mnt-routes:     CHELLO-MNT
    source:         RIPE # Filtered

organisation:   ORG-NCL5-RIPE
    org-name:       NTL Communications (Ireland) Limited
    org-type:       LIR
    address:        NTL Communications (Ireland) Limited
                    BLOCK P2  EAST POINT BUSI
                    DUBLIN 3  DUBLIN
                    IRELAND
    phone:          +35312458500
    fax-no:         +35312458515
    e-mail:         liam.darling@ntl.com
    admin-c:        SB666-RIPE
    admin-c:        HMCB1-RIPE
    mnt-ref:        RIPE-NCC-HM-MNT
    mnt-ref:        CHELLO-MNT
    mnt-by:         RIPE-NCC-HM-MNT

role:           Hostmaster Chello Broadband
    address:        UPC Broadband
    address:        Internet Services
    address:        Erlachgasse 116
    address:        A-1100 Vienna
    address:        Austria
    phone:          +43 1 96068 5000
    fax-no:         +43 1 96068 5666
    e-mail:         hostmaster@chello.at
    admin-c:        AK991-RIPE
    tech-c:         SB666-RIPE
    tech-c:         MG111
    tech-c:         MS2509-RIPE
    tech-c:         AK991-RIPE
    nic-hdl:        HMCB1-RIPE
    mnt-by:         CHELLO-MNT

Well on the plus side I've moved from Birmingham to Ireland overnight while I slept, will be awkward to get the new Waterford accent down though!
    Can anyone explain what on earth the Austria connection is? How do they enter into the equation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Anyone having connection problems? I can ping the default gateway and DNS but that's about it. VoIP is broken and no http traffic. I can see references to chello.ie as the domain name on my router so it looks like the change happened overnight for me. I'm in Citywest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Aquos76 wrote:
    My speeds are still fine, my ip addy is still saying Nothingham, but I am having wicked problems with emails. I have 4 accounts set up in outlook and can receive on all but can only send to certain address. Otherwise I get a 550 relaying mail to however is not allowed.
    snip

Probably loads more but there the only mails I have been trying to send. Mind you I was able to send to another ntlworld.ie address using all 4 email accounts. My 4 accounts are 1 ntlworld, 2 iolfree.ie and 1 gmail.com account.

I had this exact problem yesterday, which I perhaps incorrectly blamed on a Linux router I just setup. I got around it by changing the Email Outgoing SMTP address to: smtp.ntlworld.com instead of smtp.ntlworld.ie in the email clients (eg Outlook).

Edit: However this morning, I get the error when the SMTP is set to NTLWorld.com, its now ok when set to NTLWorld.ie!

MrPunch wrote:
    Got scuppered by the DNS changing from 194.168.4/8.100 to 89.101.160.4/5 too.

Down speed has dropped to 6Mb/s but the upload speed also seems to have dropped significantly. Previously it was reading 2560000, now its only 538000 :mad:

john

Are you sure your upload wasnt reading 256000 (256kbit) and its now showing the correct speed of 512K? NTL dont offer upload speed even near 2.5Mb/s (and never have afaik).

Like everyone on the change over, looks like Im back to 6MB/s from 10 too. :(

Matt

Advertisement