Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband update [July 2006]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bernardo

The NTL technician came this afternoon and change my modem with the new one (little blue box) and it seems to be ok for now ... finger crossed.

Lucan area ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Reply from 193.120.200.50: bytes=32 time=122ms TTL=53
    Reply from 193.120.200.50: bytes=32 time=121ms TTL=53
    Reply from 193.120.200.50: bytes=32 time=132ms TTL=53
    Reply from 193.120.200.50: bytes=32 time=123ms TTL=53

^^ been like this all week... lucan area

im really really sick of this, I can't play ut2004, im stuck playing WoW all the time and I feel like a WoWer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

apart from the dns problems, my ntl is great these days, very stable ping and throughput, Its a real pity they dropped it from 10 to 6meg mind :/

long may it last, i'd months where the ntl was a bit hit or miss at peak times(maybe BB usage is lower from 5 - 9 during the summer? or network upgraded...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I think I have the DNS problem too. Is that where the page loading bar is full but the page does not respond to anything for about 4 or 5 seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

For the last two days downloads come in little bursts.

For instance, right now im downloading the Fear patch. It seems to download in a burst for 3 seconds then stops then starts then stops and so on...

All downloads have been like this yesterday and browsing seems a bit unresponsive too...

Anyone else having this problem?

Connection has been great the last 2 weeks and it looks like the bulk of the problems were sorted but this is really annoying...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

For the last two days downloads come in little bursts.

For instance, right now im downloading the Fear patch. It seems to download in a burst for 3 seconds then stops then starts then stops and so on...

All downloads have been like this yesterday and browsing seems a bit unresponsive too...

Anyone else having this problem?

Connection has been great the last 2 weeks and it looks like the bulk of the problems were sorted but this is really annoying...:(

Mines been like that for the last month. I've refused to pay NTL and i'm currently trying to swich to another ISP. Nightmare.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Is anyone elses routing problems cleared up? All those sites, buy4now.ie, igb.ie and all those sites with irish routing problems etc all seem to be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 cbweb

Accessing messages on my main ntl email address I use for business threw a pwd/usrname error about 3 weeks ago. In spite of frequent calls with the waits involved and sympathetic ears from ntl support staff and promises of a fix for the problem, I'm still without access to the account. I'm told it was caused by a migration of email accounts for ntl subscribers in Dublin(4000 subscribers?) to new servers as part of the recent takeover?? But there is little information about this. Currently my particular problem has been passed frequently up the line to supervisors with the promise of a call back but no call back..there are so many other customers in the same position. I presume NTL have access to my account and can view my messages though I can't, but I've no information about this, nor is there information about this remarkable mess for so many customers or technical information on its detail or resolution..I have to plough on and ring customer support and wait again!!

Anyone else got experience of this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Getting there, on the 24th day without proper broadband service, a NTL person knocked my door in the afternoon. Unfortunately, I wasn't at home and left my mobile behind. Got a voice mail requesting me to make an appointment to replace the oldish 120 modem. Finger cross, as earliest as tomorrow evening a new modem will be in place. Good lord, I hope things get back to normal. I've lost my mojo over 3 weeks!

Mart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Is anyone elses routing problems cleared up? All those sites, buy4now.ie, igb.ie and all those sites with irish routing problems etc all seem to be fine.

Working perfectly for me too now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

How are people's speeds? I was getting from dialup to 2 mb last night. Paying for 6....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭_CyRuSS_

well my connection was one of the ones that was going good, but now it seems to have taken a turn for the worse... it's starting to act really flakey now, some websites are slow, then they time out (when they work fine for others)

not only that, now it seems nobody can connect to me... I have several ports forwarded from my router to my pc correctly, they worked fine up til last night.

now nothing gets through... I hope chello aren't putting up some restriction to prevent people from running servers :\ ... this was identd port 113, and my mirc dcc ports which i used 4500-4600 TCP.... not your typical ports that an ISP would block (like 80, 8080, 21, 25 etc)... so i don't know whats going on... will try and diagnose it later, but everything looks right in the router

don't suppose anyone else has noticed similar probs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

An engineer came today (again!) and replaced my modem (I don't know why they didn't do it the first time they called). My PC went bust on Friday last so it's in getting fixed now and might be not even be fixable so might have to get a new one :( ...anyway I can't even check to see if my problem with the BB is resolved now! Which is annoying!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭dublinhead

Yes it seems ntl broadband have got there act together and after nearly a month got www.buy4now.ie and other irish web sites fixed.Horaah:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

My speeds are still realy crap, earlier on i was downloading a video at 16KB/s!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

pings are all over the place in D15 !!!

anyone having ping issues????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Finally, I got a new modem in place and it seems to be working well now, for now. The broadband guy also replaced the splitter claiming that the one i had was not suitable for broadband signals. pings and speed are not any better but there is a broadband connection working and stays on! happy days...
    Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.136.250] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=85ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=100ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=92ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=100ms TTL=53

Speedtest.ie shows a download speed around 2.3Mbps (far from 6Mbps) and upload 490kbps..

Mart

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

impossible to play any games at the mo, pings flying constantly anywhere from the normal 40-50 mark right up 250+, all over the place :mad:, this has happend at least ten times in the last two weeks but never happend at all over the last 6 years...sigh

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

U will often get that at peak times. And this is a pretty peaky peak time.
    Relax, get some air, have a cigarette, ping times will probably calm down after 12 and then U can Pwn N00bs till your eyes bleed.

lolv but I wanna pwan noobs now !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bernardo

the same for me but not so bad

I was playing online gaming on a UK server with a ping around 25~30 ms and now on the same UK server the ping is more around 60~80 ms.

very annoying for a 6Mb connection

tbh just cuz its a 6mb connection doesn't mean you'll get better ping... you'll get the same ping as a 512kbps connection on the same line, the faster your connection is doesn't improve network latency/ping, just widens your bandwidth so you can do more...

really 512kbps is all you need for gaming... a 1mb connection would be far better/cheaper for you if all you did was use the line for gaming

I haven't noticed any bad pings on the gameservers I play on, usually UK servers too, 21-39ms

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

_CyRuSS_ wrote:
    t...really 512kbps is all you need for gaming... a 1mb connection would be far better/cheaper for you if all you did was use the line for gaming...

A higher download connection would speed up loading custom maps and textures. At least the first time you connect to a game using those.

_CyRuSS_ wrote:
    tbh just cuz its a 6mb connection doesn't mean you'll get better ping... you'll get the same ping as a 512kbps connection on the same line, the faster your connection is doesn't improve network latency/ping, just widens your bandwidth so you can do more...

really 512kbps is all you need for gaming... a 1mb connection would be far better/cheaper for you if all you did was use the line for gaming

I haven't noticed any bad pings on the gameservers I play on, usually UK servers too, 21-39ms

Cyrus check you pings out man and paste here ! I think they have changed since last week!! they are sky high now!!!!!

yeh true, when downloading custom maps and mods n stuff its helpful, but not during gameplay ;)
    Drapper wrote:
    Cyrus check you pings out man and paste here ! I think they have changed since last week!! they are sky high now!!!!!
    This is to a CS:S server in London I play on (212.187.247.11:27015)
    Pinging 212.187.247.11 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.187.247.11: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=55
    Reply from 212.187.247.11: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=55
    Reply from 212.187.247.11: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=55
    Reply from 212.187.247.11: bytes=32 time=49ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 212.187.247.11:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 18ms, Maximum = 49ms, Average = 31ms

as you can see pings are fine for me to there, just taking a look at some Red Orchestra servers I play on, roughly same pings.... they seem okay for me

*edit* Drapper give me an example ip of somewhere that is giving you bad ping, i'll see if its bad for me too

can you try tis IP:- 217.146.92.74

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

After what started out as a web search to find out if it was possible to remotely reboot a DOCSIS (cable) modem I discovered some NTL UK discussions about people and rebooting modems. Some people discovered that the point of failure was the ethernet cable between the router and the modem. I've got my NTL cable modem (250) and immediately behind that I've got an ATA/router for my VOIP service. This, in turn, is plugged into a Belkin wireless router.

So last night I took the ATA/router out of the equation and left some transfers running overnight. To my surprise, the modem was still alive this morning. Just did another attempt there and it was transferring away no problem. Then I plugged my ATA/router back in and after a short while the connection dies.

So at this point in time I'm gaining confidence in the fact that my disconnect/modem reboot could be down to the cable between my modem and my ATA/router.

Just thought that other disconnectees might like to try a variation on this theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

I'm in Dublin 24 and my connection speed seems OK, but I have friends in D12 who complain of slow access and loss of connection,

Do you have NTL digital TV? switch it on and press the help button on the remote, you will see a help screen with the 1800 321 321 contact number,
    on the right hand side of the screen there are some technical details
    Look at item number 5, this is an indication of your NTL signal strength
    mine is reading 35.1 and my Broadband is fine, my friends in D12 all report that this figure is around 20 on their connection
    I have no idea what the value should be or how 35.1 translates into download speed, all I know is that NTL use this figure to assess the quality of the line and potential speed of the broadband connection,
    anybody else heard of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

If you go to http://192.168.100.1 and log in as root/root you can get the signal strengths (upstream and downstream). You can also use the docsdiag application to get these values.

Then use this as a reference to appropriate signal strengths.

I've done some more experimenting and I've concluded that my disconnect issues are down to some kind of interference or other factor. I need to re-jig my network or invest in a combined ATA-wireless router to fix my disconnects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

My PC's motherboard went and I'm in the process of getting a new system but keeping my old hard drives. I got my old NTL modem replaced last week, when I get my new system and hook up the new modem will my BB be ok or will I need to ring NTL to set anything up?

Advertisement