Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband update [July 2006]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

This depends on if it is a USB modem or a network cabled modem, you may have to re-install drivers if you are using a USB cable to connect the PC to the modem and you changed PC. (Logically you shouldnt really have to, but USB modems so tricky I would foresee a problem if you did use USB, though of course 99% likely that you will have a network card...) But NTL wont turn anything off, unless it just breaks! You will have to make sure your settings are all "auto-detect" settings as they use DHCP (I think), but that should already be done and most likely it will be as simple as plugging in the ethernet cable, and then it should connect and resolve you an IP address.
    So in short, no, you shouldnt have to ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

This depends on if it is a USB modem or a network cabled modem, you may have to re-install drivers if you are using a USB cable to connect the PC to the modem and you changed PC. (Logically you shouldnt really have to, but USB modems so tricky I would foresee a problem if you did use USB, though of course 99% likely that you will have a network card...) But NTL wont turn anything off, unless it just breaks! You will have to make sure your settings are all "auto-detect" settings as they use DHCP (I think), but that should already be done and most likely it will be as simple as plugging in the ethernet cable, and then it should connect and resolve you an IP address.
    So in short, no, you shouldnt have to ring them.

Thanks very much for the reply. I'll be getting my new PC in the next couple of days, I'll let you know how I get on & if my BB connection is ok after the upgrade and my new modem!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Got PC back last night and BB is working like a treat and the connection problem that I was having like everyone else is gone. Woo Hoo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

Has anyone resolved the webspace issue?

I can't access it or upload to it .

NTL say the webspace is there on their server.

They supply it but don't support it.

it was working before the upgrade , now it doesn't.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Has anyone resolved the webspace issue?

I can't access it or upload to it .

NTL say the webspace is there on their server.

They supply it but don't support it.

it was working before the upgrade , now it doesn't.

Any ideas?

Hi

Have a look at my Post on

Regards

• Advertisement

What I like about the new webspace is that you do not need to use NTl broadband to upload to it.

Regards

I looked at your post but am I missing something as I don't see a solution..

How do I see my webspace and upload to it?

NTL will not give me a solution, they say it is working.

They say they provide webspace but don't support it. !

If you can get someone to logon as you with a NTL uk ip address they can download the files for you and after e-mail them to you, them you can upload them to the new webspace.

But in my case I want NTL to fix the issue for me, if not solved by the end of the week I will call again and ask for a manager.

Regards

I can now see my webspace . I changed the .ie to ntlworld.com and it is there but can't get the ftp to work

I can now see my webspace . I changed the .ie to ntlworld.com and it is there but can't get the ftp to work

Ftp to the .com wont work because you do not have an NTL IP address you have an ip address for UPC/Chello

• Advertisement

I have all the files on my pc.

How do I upload to the new webspace and what is it called?

Hi

in your FTp program make sure you have upload.ntlworld.ie

Web address should be the same as you had before but .ie not .com http://homepage.ntlworld.ie/(same as ftp id)

Regards

it says my password is incorrect. I confirmed my pwd with ntl on SAturday so it is correct.

There is still sumthin wrong.

it says my password is incorrect. I confirmed my pwd with ntl on SAturday so it is correct.

There is still sumthin wrong.

Hi

Just tried in my FTP and get the same error as you, but strange as I could logon couple of days ago to test the FTP and today I can log-on with the same log-on details for the webmail.

They might have changed the ftp host name.

Regards

I'm stuck as ntl were not interested in giving me any answers so I'll keep an eye on this thread if there is a solution.

Thanks for your patience and help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I noticed that the new FTP server doesn't take your entire email address as a user name any more (i.e. old FTP login was fred@ntlworld.ie now it's just fred).

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭MHP

I've been talking to NTL support about this and they're working on it. I've been given a new login (joe.blogs123). I can now upload by ftp to to my new webspace but can view it only if there's an index. In other words I can't, as I used to, place files there. NTL know about it and are working on it.
    My old .com webspace is still there and I can view it but not access it by ftp. NTL know about this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I just ordered NTL BB, moved gaff and thankfully more internet options.

What problems can I expect if any from my new connection d12 area.

Thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

My internet went down for a couple of hours today, and came back up again. Pings were a good deal lower, so I did a tracert.

1     5 ms    19 ms     9 ms  ***********
      2    26 ms    11 ms    24 ms **************
      3    44 ms     8 ms    36 ms  213.46.165.9
      4    16 ms    19 ms    26 ms  nl-ams-rc-02-pos-2-0.chellonetwork.com [213.46.1
    60.17]
      5    40 ms    22 ms    56 ms  uk-lon01a-ri2-pos-3-0.aorta.net [213.46.174.78]

6    48 ms    18 ms    44 ms  GigabitEthernet5-0.linx2.lon1.level3.net [195.66
    .226.77]
      7    20 ms   110 ms    27 ms  so-1-2-0.gar2.London1.Level3.net [212.113.0.118]

8    26 ms    76 ms    29 ms  ae-0-56.bbr2.London1.Level3.net [4.68.116.162]
      9    50 ms    55 ms    42 ms  so-2-0.hsa2.Dublin1.Level3.net [4.68.128.118]
     10    44 ms    61 ms    56 ms  213.242.106.134
     11    42 ms    44 ms    43 ms  vlan3.rt002.cwt.esat-x.com [193.95.129.19]
     12    60 ms   215 ms    74 ms  vlan59.rt508.cwt.esat.net [193.95.132.42]
     13    43 ms    45 ms    54 ms  duff.unreal.ie [193.120.123.142]

Seems I'm no longer being routed through amsterdam :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

mang87 wrote:
    My internet went down for a couple of hours today, and came back up again. Pings were a good deal lower, so I did a tracert.

1     5 ms    19 ms     9 ms  10.91.128.1
      2    26 ms    11 ms    24 ms  089-101-162017.ntlworld.ie [89.101.162.17]
      3    44 ms     8 ms    36 ms  213.46.165.9
      4    16 ms    19 ms    26 ms  nl-ams-rc-02-pos-2-0.chellonetwork.com [213.46.1
    60.17]
      5    40 ms    22 ms    56 ms  uk-lon01a-ri2-pos-3-0.aorta.net [213.46.174.78]

6    48 ms    18 ms    44 ms  GigabitEthernet5-0.linx2.lon1.level3.net [195.66
    .226.77]
      7    20 ms   110 ms    27 ms  so-1-2-0.gar2.London1.Level3.net [212.113.0.118]

8    26 ms    76 ms    29 ms  ae-0-56.bbr2.London1.Level3.net [4.68.116.162]
      9    50 ms    55 ms    42 ms  so-2-0.hsa2.Dublin1.Level3.net [4.68.128.118]
     10    44 ms    61 ms    56 ms  213.242.106.134
     11    42 ms    44 ms    43 ms  vlan3.rt002.cwt.esat-x.com [193.95.129.19]
     12    60 ms   215 ms    74 ms  vlan59.rt508.cwt.esat.net [193.95.132.42]
     13    43 ms    45 ms    54 ms  duff.unreal.ie [193.120.123.142]

Seems I'm no longer being routed through amsterdam :D

that 4th hop is AMsterdam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Really? First of all, you should hide at least the first 2 hops when posting tracert output. For security/privacy reasons.

Does the fourth hop not give something away? nl-ams-rc-02-pos-2-0.chellonetwork.com. You can check the IP's geographic location with this site. The third hop is also registered as being in Amsterdam.

X-post with the Drap man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Oh... :(

Well before I had a hop called "
    7 135 ms 141 ms 152 ms ge-7-0-0.mp2.Amsterdam1.Level3.net [4.68.125.205 ]

I only knew that was amsterdam because it said "Amsterdam" ;)
    No idea about the ams.

Yeah I forgot to edit out the first 2 addresses...
    Original edited
    Drapper would you be a darling and edit yours?

Is anyone able to upload to their webspace yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭MHP

Is anyone able to upload to their webspace yet?

Not yet. But I had a call from NTL support the other day to tell me that the matter had been 'escalated'.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

Are any of you still having problems with DNS?

My connection is now good but I am getting what appears to be DNS failures all the time. I have to attemt www.google.ie three, four or five times before a request is successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Dopey wrote:

My connection is now good but I am getting what appears to be DNS failures all the time. I have to attemt www.google.ie three, four or five times before a request is successful.
    You should check out http://www.opendns.com/ - heard great things about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Dopey wrote:

I had DNS hassle yesterday and on sunday night. By the looks of it I was having the same trouble as you.

Cheers aphex. I'll give that a go.

Trotter, did you do anything to resolve the DNS problems?

Cheers,

Dopey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Dopey wrote:
    Cheers aphex. I'll give that a go.

Trotter, did you do anything to resolve the DNS problems?

Cheers,

Dopey

I have them typed into the settings for TCP/IP but other than that I just restarted the PC and it worked again.

• Advertisement

You should check out http://www.opendns.com/ - heard great things about it.

Jaysus, that's great. Cheers Aphex. That fixed it.

That's been giving me a pain in the arse for the past five weeks.

:D

Advertisement