Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband update [July 2006]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Yep, I couldn't send mails last night via my email client but I can this morning. Looks like whatever the issue was it's sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Anyone having connection problems? I can ping the default gateway and DNS but that's about it. VoIP is broken and no http traffic. I can see references to chello.ie as the domain name on my router so it looks like the change happened overnight for me. I'm in Citywest.
    After a bit of research it just looks like the old DNS is stuck and after a modem/router reboot it doesn't seem to get the new DNS servers. I'm using a Sipura 2100 ATA as my router just in case anyone else is using the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Mine went out there on friday and came back saturday after hearing it would be out to tuesday...:D

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Ok, so it looks like those that were on 10 meg are being dropped back to 6. Since this is as advertised theres little to be done about it. I can live with this if it stabilises the pings which have been erratic to say the least (in Galway anyway...)

Has anyone else like mang87 noticed an improvement in pings.

Yep, there's a definite improvement in almost all of my ping times. Let's hope it lasts.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Upgrade? If anything they downgraded. I'm not bothered about the downstream, 6meg is still loads for me - But my upstream seems to be cut in half.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

My email problems are all sorted now. Whatever they were upgrading was the reason behind it. However I now have a new Irish IP address. As I am on the 3meg packeage my speeds have remained the same, not too sure about the upload though. So it does indeed seem that 10megs for 6 is a thing of the past. Surely 6meg is quick enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

seriuosly, I hope they get it sorted soon as its up and down a fair bit lately and no notice to customers etc.

and I serioulsy hope they are not plannning routing via another country as apposed to the UK!!

Roen wrote:
    Yep, there's a definite improvement in almost all of my ping times. Let's hope it lasts.....

nice one - might actually be possible to play Battlefield again...

EDIT: After checking at home my speeds are down to 6 as is happening to everyone else. Using the new Irish DNS IPs. Pings are as erratic as ever. I now show up as having an irish IP but routing is stilling running through the uk.

When i run a tracert to any irish servers it still runs out through these uk servers:

dbln-t2core-a-ge-210-0.inet.ntl.com [82.9.145.5]
    dbln-bb-a-ae1-0.inet.ntl.com [213.105.174.53]
    ren-bb-b-so-100-0.inet.ntl.com [213.105.174.41]
    man-bb-a-so-600-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.185.170]
    man-bb-b-ae0-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.187.178]
    dbln-bb-b-so-700-0.inet.ntl.com [213.105.174.46]

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mikemooney

It takes NTL how many weeks to upgrade everybody to the 6 meg package but when they want to take it away they can do it over a few days. What a complete shower of *****!

****!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

newsgroup users, you have to change your news server to news.ntl.ie instead of .com now.. but speeds of 110 kb/s at the moment rather than 1000 kb/s yesterday :(

i dont like all this messing. also, i cant watch bbc website stuff anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

oceanclub wrote:
    Just to re-emphasis what someone else above said and I only noticed now; the new ones are:

If you specify these manually in your TCP/IP properties, you'll need to change them.

P.

Where did you notice those? I've searched the whole ntl site, could not find it.

Anyways are these permanent now? or are they going back to 194.x.xxxxx?

Since yesterday ntl was pure CRAP! and this downgrade SUCKS the big one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I've been downgraded to 6mb too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

stebishop wrote:
    newsgroup users, you have to change your news server to news.ntl.ie instead of .com now.. but speeds of 110 kb/s at the moment rather than 1000 kb/s yesterday :(

i dont like all this messing. also, i cant watch bbc website stuff anymore

Thanks for that... I was wondering what the hell was going on with newsgroups.
    Where did you get the info from?
    news.ntl.ie doesn't seem to work for me at the moment either. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

i must say the connection is pretty useless since yesterday. posting this reply is also pain in the hole. logged in, get disconnected and waited for reconnection, write the post while connection lost again, and so on... the final outcome of this network reorganisation better good... ermm.. nuthing i can do abt it... except bitching...

Mart

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I had alot of problems and power cycles to get it back and I too have been walloped down to 6mb. gone now are thedays fo downloading a full 10 mb from simultaneous ftp streams.

Looks though like the speed is steady now although different speed tests report different results. speedtest.ie reports 4mb whereas smart and irisisptest both report 5.92

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

patch wrote:
    Thanks for that... I was wondering what the hell was going on with newsgroups.
    Where did you get the info from?
    news.ntl.ie doesn't seem to work for me at the moment either. :(

Try:

news.cable.ntlworld.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pmoran

I had a lot of problems Saturday night through Sunday, and now the gremlins are back again. Connection broke down at 8pm and still not back.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Jabbathegut

Anyone getting real flakey Internet access at the moment from NTL (Lucan)
    Keeps dropping out and coming back (eventually)
    Be lucky to get this on boards
    NTL Support line is engaged
    Spread the rage :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

Try:

news.cable.ntlworld.ie

Yeah, I'm already trying that server.
    It seems that alt.binaries.movies.divx is gone now?

alt.binaries.movies.xvid is there, I can download headers but it 'fails to retrieve item'?

How is it going for other people?

• Advertisement

nice one - might actually be possible to play Battlefield again...

EDIT: After checking at home my speeds are down to 6 as is happening to everyone else. Using the new Irish DNS IPs. Pings are as erratic as ever. I now show up as having an irish IP but routing is stilling running through the uk.

When i run a tracert to any irish servers it still runs out through these uk servers:

dbln-t2core-a-ge-210-0.inet.ntl.com [82.9.145.5]
    dbln-bb-a-ae1-0.inet.ntl.com [213.105.174.53]
    ren-bb-b-so-100-0.inet.ntl.com [213.105.174.41]
    man-bb-a-so-600-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.185.170]
    man-bb-b-ae0-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.187.178]
    dbln-bb-b-so-700-0.inet.ntl.com [213.105.174.46]

Odd, mine are better than ever. I just hope that I haven't spoken too soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I spent an hour on the phone to linksys getting the DNS sorted out this evening after I rang NTL and was told the problem of the pages stalling on "Looking for..." was not their problem.

Ya'd think they'd remember... oh! We changed the DNS!!

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

their support is known for "can you please switch off your computer and modem ".. and "have u tried rebooting the modem"... "it should work, ring us again if the problem occurs"... and all that...

oh 3 days now without a working connection...

Mart

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Trotter wrote:
    I spent an hour on the phone to linksys getting the DNS sorted out this evening after I rang NTL and was told the problem of the pages stalling on "Looking for..." was not their problem.

Ya'd think they'd remember... oh! We changed the DNS!!

:mad:

I'd say they thougth the DNS is for Da North side ¬

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Yeah, my wonderful 10meg conn is now running at 6mb :( Ah well, it's advertised as 6mb so there's not much that can be done. I haven't really tested it out much last night but power cycled the modem, my router and my PAP2 box as VOIP was a bit flakey, seems to be a bit better now. Will watch it over the next few days.

TC

Roen wrote:
    Odd, mine are better than ever. I just hope that I haven't spoken too soon!

Maybe the routing will change over the next few days as the changes are completed. I still can't access news groups either so maybe everythings not done yet.

This is the one thing id really like them to sort out...

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭roverdublin

Sarsfield wrote:
    Did everyone else get this email from NTL last week?

Nothing has change for me yet. My IP still says I'm in Nottingham!

No, I did not get this e-mail. However. my NTL Broadband is down at least since Monday Morning (D18) . :mad:

I do not mind, and I can arrange for it if they would send a note, but just turning off the service for (so far) 2 days is a bit too much in this day and age.

1800 234 234 is like 1800 321 321 they just don't bother to take it.

The standing order works fine for them.......

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lost my connection in Waterford on Monday morning...still not working this morning :(
    Anyone else in Waterford having issues?

Must ring them this evening!

Cabaal wrote:
    Lost my connection in Waterford on Monday morning...still not working this morning :(
    Anyone else in Waterford having issues?

Must ring them this evening!
    Nope, cool and the gang here, Went off on Fri night and came back up on Sat morning, has been better than ever since, nice low pings and steady DL speeds.
    Dunmore rd area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Went off for me in waterford but was back up a few hours later. That was on saturday I think.. My router won't work now though so I'm just going through the standard modem at the moment.. Didn't have time to fidget with it.. Will try later.

Advertisement