Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband update [July 2006]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dlofnep wrote:
    Went off for me in waterford but was back up a few hours later. That was on saturday I think.. My router won't work now though so I'm just going through the standard modem at the moment.. Didn't have time to fidget with it.. Will try later.

hmm interesting that, might have a mess around with it all later see how I get on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

as far as i know, im still on the 1mb speeds i've been on since the last 2 years or so. do we actually have to call them to get the upgrade or is it just a matter of time before they upgrade Tallaght?

EDIT: I just remembered, me next door neighbour was sayin they gave him one of those little blue modems!! i'll have to double check that!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Mine went off here in Waterford on Monday and tried the usual resetting modem but still no joy, after about half an hour of checking connections and eventually finding out that its worked fine using the wired method, I just restarted the wireless router and it fixed my wireless connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Anyone getting real flakey Internet access at the moment from NTL (Lucan)
    Keeps dropping out and coming back (eventually)
    Be lucky to get this on boards
    NTL Support line is engaged
    Spread the rage :mad:

Yeah my access has been terrible too, not getting anything close to the proper speeds

fsspeedqe4.jpg

My upload hasn't been effected... well negatively, it usualy says around 485-490, atm it says 519 :s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Cabaal wrote:
    Lost my connection in Waterford on Monday morning...still not working this morning :(
    Anyone else in Waterford having issues?

Must ring them this evening!

No nothing has changed here for me. I had a slight outage during the weekend, the same one everyone else had. But when i look at teh connection in the tray it still says i have a 10Mb connection even though i am only getting an average of 2.5Mb which is whati have always been getting.

• Advertisement

Do you think that the new lads are blocking teh ports? : |

No bittorrent will connect for me... Trying to download that Prey Demo, and it won't got damned connect... Stays red liek : |

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I just tried a knoppix torrent
    download

And it maxed 730KB/s, although the light stayed red, tried another torrent and the light turned green, so I don't think they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭_CyRuSS_

well like most others here, i've also been downgraded from the 10mbit to 6mbit... speed is very stable though, but it takes some getting used to, to accept the slower speed :(

this will be a big changeover I bet, a lot of things to change that will mess up for us, especially if they change their routing, and no longer route through NTL UK...

damn, if they change their routing, on top of all these speedcuts, and IP & DNS changes, it will essentially be just like us changing to another ISP completly, only without realising it.... this new isp of ours could turn out to be crap :(

by the way the Austrian reference in the IP whois is just the administrative contact for the ISP, I think Chello is Austrian owned or something. *shrug*

Also I think it's pretty weak how ntl or upc/chello have not told us anything about all this changeover, considering I am sure there will be a lot more downtime coming up... I at least got no emails... I only got one email from ntl last week saying, quite rudely, that my email address would no longer be supported as of next week, without any real reason why not... i emailed support and they _eventually_ got back to me a week later saying it was a mistake since i didn't have the .com email address, i had the .ie and i still got the notice... *shakes head* fools! ;)

CyberGhost wrote:
    I just tried a knoppix torrent
    download

And it maxed 730KB/s, although the light stayed red, tried another torrent and the light turned green, so I don't think they have.

Yeah, sorry, it was a windoze hiccup. Something turned back on my windoze firewall... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I've mysteriously started having trouble getting a highid when connecting to emule servers.

Port blocking afoot?

• Advertisement

Things are finaly fixed here for me in Lucan

everythings stable, grand pings again, but :
    Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 6144000
    Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 538000

:(

All well 6Meg is better than 10Meg on and off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Since this changeover is anyone elses modem lights flickering - specifically the leds marked enet and recv. This has been happening since yesterday.

Even if I disconnect the router from the modem, the receive (recv) led is flickering away consantly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

my connection is still dodgy... keep resetting every few minutes since sunday... rang NTL (again) and was noted that that should not happen i.e. the upgrade is completed... the support couldn't fix it over the phone, so it was said that an engineer will be coming over (earliest 19th August).. wtf?

Mart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I live in Lucan and my NTL BB keeps getting disconnected. Is anyone else in Lucan having the same trouble? It's not stop and very annoying!!
    If it continues tomorrow I'll ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, same here - Lucan too. Service was **** since Sunday. Had improved a little today, but the modem's still rebooting itself every few minutes.

Pain in the ass.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fixed my problems today, turned out to be a problem with router and DNS relaying it to the rest of my network...strange tbh

All working now though :)

I'm not actualy sure what fixed my problem. It might have been the fact that I uninstalled the nVidia Network Access Manager yesterday, but I doubled checked after I had done that and rebooted, and I was still having problems...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Cabaal wrote:
    Fixed my problems today, turned out to be a problem with router and DNS relaying it to the rest of my network...strange tbh

All working now though :)

What did you end up doing? I put the DNS in static in the TCP/IP properties in wireless networks.

Kinda disappointed with having a 6Meg connex now... GDU UPC/Chorus :mad:

Well a stable 650K/sec down, and 64k/sec up is still better than any other provider out there...

So the update was sunday? How come i'm still on 1mbit here in tallaght?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

For the past 3 weeks I've been suffering cut-offs for about 2 hours every morning and 2 hours every evening, with intermittent problems in between.
    Has been okay since yesterday though.
    But I can't access irishjobs.ie, or aaroadwatch.ie at all. And when the problems initially started I couldn't access any Blacknight hosted sites - except for Blacknight.ie (I presume they host it themselves).
    I got caught out by the DNS change too - one of my machines has a fixed IP so all the settings are in it manually.
    All very annoying. Finally got the upgrade from 2mb to 3mb though. Was on to NTL, they were no help, but are sending an engineer out next week to replace my modem.

I live in Lucan, just rang NTL BB support there. The person told me to turn PC off - plug modem out - plug modem back in - turn PC on and then try access t'internet, I did all that and I'm still getting that annoying little balloon saying "Loca Area Connection Is Now Connected..." and the other annoying balloon saying "A network cable is unplugged...". The person from NTL is getting a broadband techie person to call me back. I asked was there a problem in the area and she said "a few people's PC's are down at the moment". I just know the broadband techie person won't be able to do anything if it's a problem with the "big upgrade" in the area.

When is this all going to end?? I've had NTL BB for about 3 years and never once had a problem. I just want normal service to resume!!! :(:(:(

And what's the story with some websites being blocked?? :confused:

The_B_Man wrote:
    So the update was sunday? How come i'm still on 1mbit here in tallaght?:confused:

Yeah same with me my connection still says 10.0 Mbps although im lucky when i get 3 Mb/s.

to be honest i am looking forward to the take over, i hope UPC's customer support will be far better and that they will do something about the fact that i am getting less then half of the advertised speed.

christophicus, i think u misunderstood me. i've been on 1mb since the good old days. if ur on 10mb (or 3mb) thats means i got the upgrade. from what i can tell, the 1mb from last year should be 2mb, ie the 24.99 one. i think thats what me da is payin anyway. either way, i should be on faster than 1mb, as i know im not on the 19.99 value pack wit 2gb cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Yeah same with me my connection still says 10.0 Mbps although im lucky when i get 3 Mb/s.

from memory of a post in a previous thread you are using USB

whether your modem is @ 1 / 2 / 3 / 6 Mbps XP will tell you the local area connection is 10Mbps

if you try ethernet you might find your connection has been upgraded to 100Mbps free of charge ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bernardo

Living in Lucan, still the same problem like everybody, (6 Mo connection) modem resetting every 5 minutes.

I can play online gaming with no problem for hours and as soon I try to go to a P2P software (emule) bang ... disconnecting ... Are they blocking P2P ? it was working before ...

I've noticed as well that all big newsgroup from news.cable.ntlworld.ie are gone ... it seems they don't want to letting us to do big download ... shame if it's the case I'm leaving to a wifi solution...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I've noticed that same behaviour over the past couple of days. Noticed that any kind of serious data transfer caused the connection to drop. When I went up to look at the modem, I noticed that it rebooted if, for example, I started uploading or downloading to upload.ntlworld.ie. Pre-last weekend it would need to be manually rebooted every so often as it slowed to a crawl. It worked fine on 2Mbps but this only started happening when they switched on the 3Mbps service. So I assumed the modem was on its way out.

Maybe whatever modem upgrades they applied recently have been cocking up. I got on to NTL, they took the modem's MAC address and they'll ring me back this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's the same problem I've been getting for a few months in fact, I had posted here about it. It was never as bad as this, but anytime I had bittorrent running, the connection would slow to a crawl. Stop bittorrent, connection returns to normal. Same deal if I started uploading files to an ftp server.

Now when I upload anything the connection just falls over and the modem reboots a few times before comnig back up (for a while).

Same happens to me but im fairly shure its cause my pc is so crap that its just the system resources being taken up.

• Advertisement

Are any NTL BB users having problems with their email? Outlook keeps asking for my password even though its saved in Outlook.
    And I'm still waiting for someone from NTL to cal me back since yesterday re the constant disconnecting.

Advertisement