Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband update [July 2006]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

stephen p wrote:
    Are any NTL BB users having problems with their email? Outlook keeps asking for my password even though its saved in Outlook.
    And I'm still waiting for someone from NTL to cal me back since yesterday re the constant disconnecting.

im getting this also, just happened today. yesterday was fine. ntl need to get there act together!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Just rang NTL again there and I had to drag the words out of the person to say it was to do with the upgrade, it's like there not allowed to mention it or something.
    This is really annoying! :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

stephen p wrote:
    Just rang NTL again there and I had to drag the words out of the person to say it was to do with the upgrade, it's like there not allowed to mention it or something.
    This is really annoying! :mad: :mad: :mad:

They probably aren't. It looks bad from a company perspective to say "our new system is worse than our old one" I know that doesn't help you but it probably is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

With a router between the cable modem and my pc I get "chello" page and stupid boxes asking for NTL username and password + modem MAC address when I try to look at websites.
    Enter these - shutdown, unplug, reboot, get the same again!

No router (modem directly connected to the NIC) and internet connection works fine -hmph??

This setup has been operating fine for over a year so I presume this "upgrade" is related to my problems somehow.

I did send NTL and email [they don't answer the phone at the moment it seems] but I'll probaby be lucky to get any answer so....

any of ye computer experts got a clue as to what is going on here??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Has anyone elses newsgroup access come back?

• Advertisement

Just wondering is anyone is the Lucan area still having problems with the connection dropping and also their email (password not being accepted)?

Or can anyone login into the NTL Webmail on the ntlworld.ie page? When I try to login its says "Mailbox Server Login Failed"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

i'm in lucan. i haven't experienced any major problems as such. my download speeds haven't been effected but the web is VERY sluggish and alot of sites won't load completely. so i keep having to reload over and over again.

no problems with email.

i'm in lucan. i haven't experienced any major problems as such. my download speeds haven't been effected but the web is VERY sluggish and alot of sites won't load completely. so i keep having to reload over and over again.

no problems with email.

Are you using Outlook 2003? And does your email end in @ntlworld.ie?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

stephen p wrote:
    Are you using Outlook 2003? And does your email end in @ntlworld.ie?

no outlook (i'm on a mac). yeah it ends in ntlworld.ie. i have my mail app set to check every minute and i haven't noticed my ntl email account going offline. webmail is working fine at the moment tho.

are you able to login into your webmail? it may be a problem with outlook. was your account ntlworld.ie? did you have any ntlworld.com emails?

Yea my email ends in ntlworld.ie, never had a ntlworld.com email. Can't log onto the webmail at all. I've tried accessing my email using an online POP3 email retrieval website and it says there's a problem with my username/password.
    I'm fed up with this now! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭_CyRuSS_

My email is also acting up, invalid username/password.... I have a .ie email address but I did get the email saying they were going to cancel my email address, ntl support said that email was a mistake and sent to me by accident, and that they wouldn't cancel my email address.

so now its not accepting my username or password.... I bet they cancelled it! Grrrr

Altho I did email myself from another email address, and it hasn't bounced back (yet), so I guess thats a good sign

fly_agaric wrote:
    With a router between the cable modem and my pc I get "chello" page and stupid boxes asking for NTL username and password + modem MAC address when I try to look at websites.
    Enter these - shutdown, unplug, reboot, get the same again!

No router (modem directly connected to the NIC) and internet connection works fine -hmph??

This setup has been operating fine for over a year so I presume this "upgrade" is related to my problems somehow.

I did send NTL and email [they don't answer the phone at the moment it seems] but I'll probaby be lucky to get any answer so....

any of ye computer experts got a clue as to what is going on here??

Good luck with ntl's support email, took them a week to get back to me last time.

Sounds like its possible you didn't get a correct IP address assigned to you, and instead have perhaps some kind of local Chello IP address on one of their UBR's or something.

Try going into your router and Releasing your IP address, and then Renewing it to see if you get a new one. If you don't, then try maybe Releasing the IP, and shutting ur modem and router down for a few hours until your lease expires, then you should be able to request a new IP from the DHCP server. Best I can think of atm.

*edit* Also maybe try plugging a PC directly into your modem and trying to request a DHCP ip address... I've found that sometimes the router will just keep trying to renew the old one, and will be successful until the lease has expired on NTL's servers. Hooking a new PC up directly has no memory of an IP address to renew, so it requests a brand new one. (Resetting Router may force it to forget that IP address)

_CyRuSS_ wrote:
    Good luck with ntl's support email, took them a week to get back to me last time.

Sounds like its possible you didn't get a correct IP address assigned to you, and instead have perhaps some kind of local Chello IP address on one of their UBR's or something.

Try going into your router and Releasing your IP address, and then Renewing it to see if you get a new one. If you don't, then try maybe Releasing the IP, and shutting ur modem and router down for a few hours until your lease expires, then you should be able to request a new IP from the DHCP server. Best I can think of atm.

Do you think if I did that it would work for me? I don't have a router just a modem.

Edit: Or do something similiar to the above?

Just discovered I can send email from my @ntlworld.ie account via Outlook 2003 but can't receive

stephen p wrote:
    Do you think if I did that it would work for me? I don't have a router just a modem.

Edit: Or do something similiar to the above?

Yep, just goto your Network Connection, connection properties... and i think there is a button there to "Repair" connection, basically all that does is Release the IP address and Renew... or you could goto command prompt and type ipconfig /release all, and then ipconfig /renew all

hrmmm i forget if it's 'all' or *, try 'ipconfig /release *' and 'ipconfig /renew *' if 'all' didn't do it :P

As for email, SMTP is different from the POP3 server, outgoing emails go through the SMTP server which requires no authentication, anybody can send an email, claiming to be from anyone through the SMTP server, the only safeguard they have is that it has to come from a NTL ip address. So you'll always be able to send email through NTL so long as you have an NTL/Chello ip.

POP3 is where you receive the email from, you need to authenticate with user/password to receive the emails.... so if it says invalid user/pass it could mean they changed them or wiped the accounts, or something. I'm sure they have backups.

_CyRuSS_ wrote:
    Yep, just goto your Network Connection, connection properties... and i think there is a button there to "Repair" connection, basically all that does is Release the IP address and Renew... or you could goto command prompt and type ipconfig /release all, and then ipconfig /renew all

hrmmm i forget if it's 'all' or *, try 'ipconfig /release *' and 'ipconfig /renew *' if 'all' didn't do it :P

As for email, SMTP is different from the POP3 server, outgoing emails go through the SMTP server which requires no authentication, anybody can send an email, claiming to be from anyone through the SMTP server, the only safeguard they have is that it has to come from a NTL ip address. So you'll always be able to send email through NTL so long as you have an NTL/Chello ip.

POP3 is where you receive the email from, you need to authenticate with user/password to receive the emails.... so if it says invalid user/pass it could mean they changed them or wiped the accounts, or something. I'm sure they have backups.

Thanks for that. Did it so we'll see how it goes...
    As for email I'll ring them Tuesday if it hasn't come back.

_CyRuSS_ wrote:

I think they say they will not help with routers/home networks anyway so I suppose they probably won't even answer.
    _CyRuSS_ wrote:

Try going into your router and Releasing your IP address, and then Renewing it to see if you get a new one.
    If you don't, then try maybe Releasing the IP, and shutting ur modem and router down for a few hours until your lease expires, then you should be able to request a new IP from the DHCP server. Best I can think of atm.

*edit* Also maybe try plugging a PC directly into your modem and trying to request a DHCP ip address... I've found that sometimes the router will just keep trying to renew the old one, and will be successful until the lease has expired on NTL's servers. Hooking a new PC up directly has no memory of an IP address to renew, so it requests a brand new one. (Resetting Router may force it to forget that IP address)

I've now tried all that - including resetting the router. I didn't manage to get a new ip for the router [it gets assigned the same one each time I connect] and still getting blasted "chello" page as before.

I'll try releasing the ip again and leaving the router off for a day or so.

:(

Thanks for the help anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cykedout

In case anyone is interested, here are a few details as to what's happening in general with NTL for the last few weeks. At least as much as I can remember....

I was talking to an NTL technician about 6 or 7 weeks ago (my broadband had been more or less gone for about 2 weeks and I thought the modem was at fault) and he told me that because NTL is now owned by this crowd UPC, they were cutting their internet/broadband services link from the UK altogether and everyone in Ireland NOW get their complete net services via Holland (I think). He stated that the changeover was happening on July 12th and he referred to it as "THE BIG BANG", because he and the other engineers didn't know exactly what was going to happen to the service(s) from that date. He also said that the quality of service dropped drastically before that date because the people who were servicing the "pipes" from the UK to Ireland weren't "bothering" with fixing our services because the contract, etc. was not really their concern anymore since UPC had taken over NTL. He also mentioned that htis had led to a serious bottleneck problem because of this.

The problems since July 12th probably have to do with the fact that the European servicing agents have to try and sort out our services, speeds, etc. He told me that since the service that we would be getting through Amsterdam have more than 44 million subsribers throughout Continental europe, they should be able to sort out and provide us with better services than via the UK. Eventually!!!

I gues that should be the main reason(s) that the services have been up and down like a yoyo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

i've just discovered that i can't get thru to my webspace because it's on an ntl uk server!

this may be unrelated to ntl but is anyone else able to access www.buy4now.ie ? maybe its down but i haven't been able to load it for days, starting to think it may be ntl's fault.

• Advertisement

fly_agaric wrote:
    I've now tried all that - including resetting the router. I didn't manage to get a new ip for the router [it gets assigned the same one each time I connect] and still getting blasted "chello" page as before.

I'll try releasing the ip again and leaving the router off for a day or so.

:(

Thanks for the help anyway.

Yeh waiting a day is best i think. I think the lease is usually 24 hours, it should say when you renew the IP when the lease expires, as long as your modem is offline when that time hits, It should get expired and renewing will cause you to get a new IP... I think :)

Plugging your pc directly to your modem might get you a new IP too tho, try that. If that works, then clone your PC's MAC address onto your router (if your router has this option), then you should be able to get that same IP on the router ... I think I have done this before ages ago, I forget

*edit* outta curiosity, what happens when you get this chello page, does ur username/password work on it, and u can browse fine then? And also what range is your IP address in? all this stuff I said was really me assuming it was some local IP address you got, like 10.x.x.x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

this may be unrelated to ntl but is anyone else able to access www.buy4now.ie ? maybe its down but i haven't been able to load it for days, starting to think it may be ntl's fault.

It's working fine using Smart BB.

im on ntl too, i can't get to it either, nor can i get to irishjobs.ie ;\

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Also noticed a problme that seems to be related to this. Whenever i try runnin a torrent file download the modem just shutsdown and resets itself. wenever i try runnin a download the damn thing resets itself. Has anyone had problems like this on the lower packages?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

yup same with torrents!

_CyRuSS_ wrote:
    Plugging your pc directly to your modem might get you a new IP too tho, try that. If that works, then clone your PC's MAC address onto your router (if your router has this option), then you should be able to get that same IP on the router ... I think I have done this before ages ago, I forget

I did try the pc "clone" option on the router's interface (after I'd been connecting fine on the same pc without the router - as I'm doing now). I still got the same 10.93.xxx.xxx ip address! Might try again now though. I know I should leave it alone for a day or more but it is really bugging me.
    _CyRuSS_ wrote:
    *edit* outta curiosity, what happens when you get this chello page, does ur username/password work on it, and u can browse fine then? And also what range is your IP address in? all this stuff I said was really me assuming it was some local IP address you got, like 10.x.x.x

Username/pwd do work on the page - and I see another page with my NTL customer info. I then get invited to "enter the modem's MAC address" and am told to restart everything (plug out modem etc). I still cannot get on the internet before restarting. If I plug the router out and connect the modem directly without a restart - things are fine.

When I follow the instructions on the page (shutdown, plug everything out, plug modem back in follwed by the router and then reboot) - the same thing happens again.

You are right about the ip address. It is 10.93.xxx.xxx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I fixed mine by typing the new DNS numbers into the TCP/IP settings.. that did the trick for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

NTL here. its down for me, as is irishjobs.ie and www.fai.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

tabatha wrote:

yup but the 1st of August has come and gone!

Advertisement