Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband update [July 2006]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I'm on NTL too and I can't access buy4now or irishjobs or fai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭_CyRuSS_

fly_agaric wrote:
    I did try the pc "clone" option on the router's interface (after I'd been connecting fine on the same pc without the router - as I'm doing now). I still got the same 10.93.xxx.xxx ip address! Might try again now though. I know I should leave it alone for a day or more but it is really bugging me.

Username/pwd do work on the page - and I see another page with my NTL customer info. I then get invited to "enter the modem's MAC address" and am told to restart everything (plug out modem etc). I still cannot get on the internet before restarting. If I plug the router out and connect the modem directly without a restart - things are fine.

When I follow the instructions on the page (shutdown, plug everything out, plug modem back in follwed by the router and then reboot) - the same thing happens again.

You are right about the ip address. It is 10.93.xxx.xxx.

ah wow, i was right, good guess :) I thought u may have had a 10.x.x.x IP, that is a local IP address, which explains that webpage u see, technically you're using one of their UBR routers or something as a proxy server, you haven't got an internet IP address.... so something is definatly wrong with ur IP address, you were assigned the incorrect IP for whatever reason... as much as it sucks, I think leaving ur modem and router off for 24 hours and then letting it request a new ip, is probably the best way to go (unless u can call ntl and tell them to release/change ur ip?) have u tried resetting ur router? might help also.

*edit* u could also do this, i used to do this.... ok connect ur pc up to ur modem directly, when u connect fine with a proper IP address, save the details of the IP address & Default Gateway/Subnet mask etc... then goto your router settings, and tell it to use a STATIC ip address, and give it those details you just retrieved..... I've done this before and it has worked up til the point where NTL have changed my ip address, then it stops working and you have to change it back to DHCP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I got the 89.100.xxx.xxx adress on my modem but any kind of large data load like downloads bittorrent and even gif heavy webpages are causin my line to destabilise.Im SICK of it at this stage theres stuff i wanna get but i cant now. Im only lucky i can still play FFXI but i want my downloads back. -.- whats the point of havin a 6 meg line if it doesnt work???!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭uaobrien

Sarsfield wrote:

Thought I was going a little nutty ... but am glad to see someone else on NTL is having same connectivity issues. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pmoran

Uploading kills my connection completely. I had to ftp 28megs at 2kb/s!!! to try and get some sort of stability. As infini says what's the point? Promised a call back in two days - told now this is two working days (= 5 days). This is a home connection, is it not safe to assume you would want to use it at the weekend? This problem is ongoing for a week now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

_CyRuSS_ wrote:
    ah wow, i was right, good guess :)

That - or you know what you are talking about...;)
    _CyRuSS_ wrote:
    I thought u may have had a 10.x.x.x IP, that is a local IP address, which explains that webpage u see, technically you're using one of their UBR routers or something as a proxy server, you haven't got an internet IP address.... so something is definatly wrong with ur IP address, you were assigned the incorrect IP for whatever reason... as much as it sucks, I think leaving ur modem and router off for 24 hours and then letting it request a new ip, is probably the best way to go (unless u can call ntl and tell them to release/change ur ip?) have u tried resetting ur router? might help also.

*edit* u could also do this, i used to do this.... ok connect ur pc up to ur modem directly, when u connect fine with a proper IP address, save the details of the IP address & Default Gateway/Subnet mask etc... then goto your router settings, and tell it to use a STATIC ip address, and give it those details you just retrieved..... I've done this before and it has worked up til the point where NTL have changed my ip address, then it stops working and you have to change it back to DHCP

Was thinking about trying that [setting a static ip which I've just being using to connect].

Anyway, I'm going to leave it for a while and try again on Tuesday or Wednesday. If it doesn't work then - I'll be ringing NTL [god help me!].

Thanks for all your help again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I rang NTL yesterday about my email problem and they said it's connected to the upgrade they did. They also said that the upgrade was completed last Tuesday and some customers have been having problems since (with email and also the connection dropping every few minutes). My call is still logged for a BB Technican to call me back perhaps tomorrow?? Who know's when it will be though?!? They also told me that I could access my email at webmail.ntlworld.ie but....its doesn't recognise my username/password.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bobk

Did someone mention that you can't use torrents with NTL
    or does it just not work occasionally?

Ta

bobk

bobk wrote:
    Did someone mention that you can't use torrents with NTL
    or does it just not work occasionally?

Ta

bobk

I've always been able to use torrents on NTL. It's always slowed my connection down but that might have been due to the settings for Azureus. My torrents aren't really working the past week since the upgrade was done and left my connection screwed!! :mad: :mad:

If anyone gets any word from NTL on whats up with the email, let us know, It just keeps saying incorrect username or password for me, same with their webmail :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

small update on my problem. Uploading causes a shutdown on my modem . I tried doin a speed test on my line..... 2.84 megs was the best on my download on a 6meg line couldnt get any upload results the test on that crashed my connection. :X

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'm still clocking up 15meg/1024 on my NTL connection. Speed does drop drastically when I'm connected using a wireless router though, but this is a router related issue, not an NTL one.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭dublinhead

Sarsfield wrote:
    www.irishjobs.ie
    www.buy4now.ie
    www.superclub.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

dublinhead wrote:

call em and ask! don't think anyone here knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭dublinhead

Drapper wrote:
    call em and ask! don't think anyone here knows!
    If I am feeling depressed and feel like wasting a hour of my life waiting for my valued call to be answered I might just do that. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

dublinhead wrote:
    If I am feeling depressed and feel like wasting a hour of my life waiting for my valued call to be answered I might just do that. Thanks!

I know what you mean mate its hard hanging on to be told :- are you at your pc, can you turn on and off your modem, can you now check, ok, I'll send out and engineer in 3 weeks, Bah!

If you do get through tell them you are calling on behalf of the 100's of views and posters in this thread! and report back! :p:p

dublinhead wrote:

well if you do call them to hurry them up and prevent them from making you reboot your modem and doing all sorts of things at your end, you can just tell them that it IS at their end, and is a routing issue, a traceroute to all of those websites gives the exact same result

as soon as it get to 159.134.124.167, the next hop just times out, as does every other hop after that.... 159.134.124.167 is a router owned by Eircom by the looks of it, but I'd still think it was up to Ntl/Chello to choose routes that work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

_CyRuSS_ wrote:
    If anyone gets any word from NTL on whats up with the email, let us know, It just keeps saying incorrect username or password for me, same with their webmail :(

I'm still having the same problem. I rang NTL again to day to make sure the NTL BB techie calls me after 7pm (and also to make sure my call was still logged :p )

I wonder if they'll make an adjustment to my account because of my problems. ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

just came accross this on the ntl page. it says its a planned outage and the duration is on going since this 3rd of august.

http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Just to re-iterate my observation of the reboot-during-any-kind-of-big-data-transfer that I reported to them last Friday. It's weighted more towards the upload side of things but it can happen with download (e.g. when accessing some sites with lots of gfx the smallest amount of upload seems to kill the modem). You can get around it by limiting the upload/download speeds but that's not the way it should be. FWIW I've got a silver 120 modem and I'm on the 3Mbps service. Was promised a callback between 6 and 8 last Friday afternoon. Nothing yet. Tried ringing there and the call doesn't even get put through to the maintenance crowd.

I think I might be cancelling the NTL direct debit until it's sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I've got a silver 120 modem and I'm on the 3Mbps service.

Me too, exact same story.

How are you limiting your overall upload rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Varies from app to app. e.g. I use SmartFTP and, in the preferences, there is a facility to limit xfer speeds. But there's not much you can do with a regular HTTP session. You'd need to install one of those bandwidth monitoring apps (Netlimiter et al.) The first incident I had with this issue was using LogMeIn.com. That generates a fair bit of traffic in both directions during the handshake and I noticed that each attempt to remote control a machine at home resulted in the connection dropping.

tabatha wrote:
    just came accross this on the ntl page. it says its a planned outage and the duration is on going since this 3rd of august.

http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/

Isn't that just for the UK though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Dear all

My internet is still not working properly since I first posted this issue on boards (See 1st post in this thread). After numerous calls, it is still an on-going case and have been comforted by NTL support that "there is nuthing we can do about it, try ringing us again tomorrow" again and again and again...

oh gawd, i wish i could pee in my pant and eat it up wet. I am disappointed not entirely because the service is down but particularly due to the fact that NTL does not show much effort to communicate the problem to its customers. Yeah they did announce abt the expected interruption but that has gone beyond 1st of bloody august. and how many customers really check on their website!

enuff bitching, this is some tips. for those who have been affected by downtime, you should be able to receive credit on your account. this is based on my past experience with NTL. what you need to do is tell the support to put down a note on their system that you experience problems on such dates and bla bla. get to account department and ask for the credit based on the notes. oh yes, please do not abuse this not so privilege information.

mart

p/s : fyi, i am spending like an hour to logon to boards, find this thread, and post this message. composing only took less than 3 minutes.

mart_max wrote:
    Dear all

My internet is still not working properly since I first posted this issue on boards (See 1st post in this thread). After numerous calls, it is still an on-going case and have been comforted by NTL support that "there is nuthing we can do about it, try ringing us again tomorrow" again and again and again...

oh gawd, i wish i could pee in my pant and eat it up wet. I am disappointed not entirely because the service is down but particularly due to the fact that NTL does not show much effort to communicate the problem to its customers. Yeah they did announce abt the expected interruption but that has gone beyond 1st of bloody august. and how many customers really check on their website!

enuff bitching, this is some tips. for those who have been affected by downtime, you should be able to receive credit on your account. this is based on my past experience with NTL. what you need to do is tell the support to put down a note on their system that you experience problems on such dates and bla bla. get to account department and ask for the credit based on the notes. oh yes, please do not abuse this not so privilege information.

mart

p/s : fyi, i am spending like an hour to logon to boards, find this thread, and post this message. composing only took less than 3 minutes.

I'm giving them till Friday and if I haven't got a call from a BB techie I'm going to ring and ask for a supervisor. Let's hope NTL have supervisors employed that know WTF is going on. And I'm also going to ask for a credit on my account cos there's no way I'm paying for this pathetic service!

Edit: I wonder if anyone that was experiencing problems have gotten a call back from NTL and the problem sorted???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 poison-inside

_CyRuSS_ wrote:

if you have any problems logging in to webmail on the ntlworld.ie site, try ntlworld.com because i found that i can get email access there. also i changed my pop and smtp servers from pop.ntlworld.ie to pop.ntlworld.com. i can send and receive emails that way. my email account is an *@ntlworld.com one, maybe thats the reason i can access the uk site and not the irish one. anyone agree with that :confused:

if you have any problems logging in to webmail on the ntlworld.ie site, try ntlworld.com because i found that i can get email access there. also i changed my pop and smtp servers from pop.ntlworld.ie to pop.ntlworld.com. i can send and receive emails that way. my email account is an *@ntlworld.com one, maybe thats the reason i can access the uk site and not the irish one. anyone agree with that :confused:

Yeh you can access .com because you had an @ntlworld.com email address... ntl ireland are no longer supporting ntlworld.com email address's they said, so I guess that will get deleted eventually by ntl UK when they realise you don't have a broadband account with them, don't think there is much you can do about that... You should have got an email saying this.

I got the email sent to me accidently, even tho I have the @ntlworld.ie email address... I am thinking for whatever reason I accidently got that email sent to me, that same reason they deleted my account :/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Problems with the connection dropping on heavy upload/download would seem to be an issue with your modem.

I have a 120 modem, so I borrowed my brother's new 250 modem and plugged it into my line. The connection worked perfectly, kept perfectly stable during uploads and web browsing. Plugged the 120 back in, it took nearly 15 minutes to establish itself on the network then resumed it's dodgy service, rebooting during any exertion.

I can only guess that there's an issue with the 120 firmware which causes it to act as though it's being DOS'ed when you attempt to send/receive a large amount of traffic.

I rang them up and explained what I did, but they still need a "broadband engineer" to ring me back.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote:
    Problems with the connection dropping on heavy upload/download would seem to be an issue with your modem.

I have a 120 modem, so I borrowed my brother's new 250 modem and plugged it into my line. The connection worked perfectly, kept perfectly stable during uploads and web browsing. Plugged the 120 back in, it took nearly 15 minutes to establish itself on the network then resumed it's dodgy service, rebooting during any exertion.

I can only guess that there's an issue with the 120 firmware which causes it to act as though it's being DOS'ed when you attempt to send/receive a large amount of traffic.

I rang them up and explained what I did, but they still need a "broadband engineer" to ring me back.

I have an NTL silver modem I'm not sure if its the 120 modem. Could I replace the modem myself? Or does it have to be a NTL modem? OR can NTL do something to update it?

Advertisement