Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband update [July 2006]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The key to the NTL network is that the MAC address of any modem needs to be registered on their network. So you can't just buy any old cable modem and plug it in.
    You can get wireless routers with an inbuilt cable modem that'll let you clone the MAC address of your existing modem, but they're not that cheap. Any why should you have to? Plus, if you actually do experience problems with your connection, NTL might tell you to piss off because you're not using their modem.

NTL can upgrade the firmware of the modem, and the fact that plenty of people are running the 120 without any problems suggests to me that it's a simple software issue. It may just be case of hounding them until they do something for you.

There are three modems that NTL use: the 100 and the 120 are silver. All of the 100s should have been replaced by now, but you can always find out which you have by looking under the modem, there's a little sticker that'll have the type on it. The 250 is a tiny blue modem about half the size of the 120 and it's super cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

seems to be back to normal in D15, but still having a few site access issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭MiloFoxburr

Ok im confused

NTL has been utter crap lately every since the downgrade to 6meg But today im back on 10meg

When downloading something from usenet I get 1200k/sec (was 700k/sec yesterday) yet the modem still says

"Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 6144000"

Anyone else getting this? Im not complaining or nout lol I missed 10meg for those couple of days hope it stays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Ok im confused

NTL has been utter crap lately every since the downgrade to 6meg But today im back on 10meg

When downloading something from usenet I get 1200k/sec (was 700k/sec yesterday) yet the modem still says

"Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 6144000"

Anyone else getting this? Im not complaining or nout lol I missed 10meg for those couple of days hope it stays

How are people getting 10megs? I'm on the 6meg service and I don't think mine was ever 10megs. Thought NTL's max was 6meg?? :confused:

stephen p wrote:
    How are people getting 10megs? I'm on the 6meg service and I don't think mine was ever 10megs. Thought NTL's max was 6meg?? :confused:

When NTL first done the 6meg service it was actually 10meg up until their "upgrade" last week where it dropped back to 6meg

I've just found out that newshosting caps out @ 6meg but giganews caps up @ 10meg

Now my understanding of the modem limiting the speed to 6meg means this shouldnt even be possible lol

-edit- :( the last drop of the modem just put my giganews connection back to 6meg was fun while it lasted
    -edit- Ok majorly confused... Now newshosting is getting the 10meg speeds

• Advertisement

seamus wrote:
    The key to the NTL network is that the MAC address of any modem needs to be registered on their network. So you can't just buy any old cable modem and plug it in.
    You can get wireless routers with an inbuilt cable modem that'll let you clone the MAC address of your existing modem, but they're not that cheap. Any why should you have to? Plus, if you actually do experience problems with your connection, NTL might tell you to piss off because you're not using their modem.

NTL can upgrade the firmware of the modem, and the fact that plenty of people are running the 120 without any problems suggests to me that it's a simple software issue. It may just be case of hounding them until they do something for you.

There are three modems that NTL use: the 100 and the 120 are silver. All of the 100s should have been replaced by now, but you can always find out which you have by looking under the modem, there's a little sticker that'll have the type on it. The 250 is a tiny blue modem about half the size of the 120 and it's super cool.

Mine's silver so should I have been given the 250 modem?

stephen p wrote:

Back when 10meg first came out my old 120 modem disconnected frequently once I got the new small blue modem everything was grand

I suggest you ring up and say its been disconnecting constantly and that you need a new modem I got mine in like 2 days

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

stephen p wrote:
    Only if you had the 100, not the 120.

seamus wrote:
    Only if you had the 100, not the 120.

Ok, I'll check later when I get home from work.
    Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I'm the 120 type as well...... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Just rang them there to see if they had any idea of when I'll be getting a callback. I told them that other users here had posted similar behaviour with the 120 modem and she said she'd pass the info on as the broadband techs had finished. Then she rang me back a few mins later saying that she managed to nab one of them as they were leaving and confirmed that there is an issue with the 120 modems of late. So she's arranged to have a replacement modem sent out to me on Friday.

If anyone out there is have this 120 issue, you can probably get away with saying that you've heard of other with a similar issue and they had arranged to have a replacement modem installed.

Just rang them there to see if they had any idea of when I'll be getting a callback. I told them that other users here had posted similar behaviour with the 120 modem and she said she'd pass the info on as the broadband techs had finished. Then she rang me back a few mins later saying that she managed to nab one of them as they were leaving and confirmed that there is an issue with the 120 modems of late. So she's arranged to have a replacement modem sent out to me on Friday.

If anyone out there is have this 120 issue, you can probably get away with saying that you've heard of other with a similar issue and they had arranged to have a replacement modem installed.

My modem is 120 also. I also rang them earlier this evening to see when I'll get a call back and they said I'll defo get a call back soon, there's just so many customers in the same situation that they're bogged down with calls. I'll wait till Friday and then order myself a new modem.
    Is there a charge for a new modem?

My email is back working!!! :D
    I didn't do anything to settings just came back. Anyone else's come back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

My NTL connection is really strange tonight...

Its working... really well. Pings are lower, speeds are great - getting up towards a consistent 6meg...

Have they fixed it? Also it no longer seems to be routing throught the uk. Its going through chellonetwork.

Fingers crossed it continues. Ill take a stable 6 meg over a wonky 10 meg line.

My connections improved a little now im gettin 4meg on a 6meg line but its still collapsing still..... hope this is resolved soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

yeah strangely it works now.. it wasn't well until 9-ish tonite
    Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.136.250] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=53

Ping statistics for 82.195.136.250:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 45ms, Maximum = 50ms, Average = 47ms

That is not too bad.

Mart

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

that looks like my pings, they usually hover anywhere between 40 - 100ms but tonight its more like 25-60ms

mart_max wrote:
    yeah strangely it works now.. it wasn't well until 9-ish tonite

Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=53

Minimum = 45ms, Maximum = 50ms, Average = 47ms

That is not too bad.

Mart

How do you do the above test?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

There are still drop connections but it isn't as bad as the last 10 days. I managed to pay my bills and stuff on AIB internet banking! desperately!
    stephen p wrote:
    How do you do the above test?

go to command line. if you are using windows, Start > Run > Open > type CMD. At the command line, type ping www.boards.ie or ping watever address u wish.

Mart

How this?

Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=59ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=98ms TTL=53

Minimum = 59ms, Maximum = 98ms, Average = 69ms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Anybody know how I can get my NTL webspace to work now ? I presume I have to log in with Cort FTP using a different host ? I'm not too good when it comes to this stuff, But I really need to get onto it and host somestuff up. I can see my web space, And I can log onto it and alter stuff, But no matter what I add / delete... When ever I look at it in my browser it remains the same. Its really strange. I guess I need to log on in Core FTP some different way, NTL site says nothing :(

Also, my connection has sped up quite alot today, Its been quite laggy / slow around sites the last few days.

Any help appreciated.

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭MHP

stephen p wrote:
    My email is back working!!! :D
    I didn't do anything to settings just came back. Anyone else's come back?

One of my three e-mail accounts is working again (password rejected since last Friday).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Trapped

'Apparently':rolleyes: , the main problem is with email accounts that were originally created by dial-up customers who then upgraded to broadband. Those email addresses are still flagged as 'dial-up', and not linked to a broadband customer account, so were not migrated over to UPC's email server.

So, if the password no longer works for one of your email accounts, the trick is to email NTL ( cablemodemhelp@ntlworld.ie ) giving details of the 'broken' account as well as your customer id or some other way to prove that account is really yours ( it's password, your full name, your address etc. )

If you're lucky ;) , you'll get your email & account back again.

connections back in the toilet again -.-''''

Trapped wrote:
    'Apparently':rolleyes: , the main problem is with email accounts that were originally created by dial-up customers who then upgraded to broadband. Those email addresses are still flagged as 'dial-up', and not linked to a broadband customer account, so were not migrated over to UPC's email server.

Yes, my accounts were originally dial-up.
    Trapped wrote:
    So, if the password no longer works for one of your email accounts, the trick is to email NTL ( cablemodemhelp@ntlworld.ie ) giving details of the 'broken' account as well as your customer id or some other way to prove that account is really yours ( it's password, your full name, your address etc. )

That's how I got one email account back. Have sent off details of the other two.

And I've got them back within an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

I have the 250 modem and it's still not working properly. I can't access some sites like irishjobs.ie and all others including google.com comes up with host not found. After a couple of retries it works.

Is this a DNS problem or a line problem? I was waiting until you folks sorted yours out but now it appears to be a modem problem for most of you.

P.S. I switched off the modem for 24 hours and that had no effect.

I got a call today from NTL think it was a techie. I've to get a new modem as the old modems are causing problems since the upgrade. I just have to organise a day for the techie to call out with the new modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

just called ntl. there are 5 guys who are currently working on the problem. problem is they have over 500 call backs to get through. problem is the change over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

just emailed them and my email is back working. took 5 minutes all in all!! why didnt i think of that a week ago!

Advertisement