Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband update [July 2006]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭_CyRuSS_

Trapped wrote:
    'Apparently':rolleyes: , the main problem is with email accounts that were originally created by dial-up customers who then upgraded to broadband. Those email addresses are still flagged as 'dial-up', and not linked to a broadband customer account, so were not migrated over to UPC's email server.

So, if the password no longer works for one of your email accounts, the trick is to email NTL ( cablemodemhelp@ntlworld.ie ) giving details of the 'broken' account as well as your customer id or some other way to prove that account is really yours ( it's password, your full name, your address etc. )

If you're lucky ;) , you'll get your email & account back again.

Hmm i never had dialup with ntl, and my ntlworld.ie email address doesn't work, so that can't be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

_CyRuSS_ wrote:
    Hmm i never had dialup with ntl, and my ntlworld.ie email address doesn't work, so that can't be right.

Same with me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

dear all

i'm still on a dogdy connection.

i was promised that a technician to come in today. they had the courtesy to SMS me yesterday abt the appointment. what da heck. no body turned up! and they don't even ring me telling it's not happening. argh. what a waste of half day pay and still no proper or working broadband.

argh!

now drafting an e-mail hoping for some positive response and immediate action :
    i would like to express my disappointment over the connection issue happened since Sun, 30th July 2006. Despite many calls made to Technical Support, my problem is not yet resolved. Latest, I had been promised a visit by technician on Thu, 10th Aug 2006 but no body turned up, wasting my working morning and afternoon waiting. Yet, the problem is unsolved. This problem has been dragging long, I would understand that some upgrades are undergoing but this makes no sense any more. Now I am promised with another visit on the 19th, that's another 9 days waiting - if only anyone turns up and fixes the problem!

To my knowledge, I have been an outstanding customer for many years. No delays in account payment and I have been subscribing to your extensive packages including digital service, etc. I don't expect first class treatment but your failure to communicate the problems have me left with no more patience. First, I only found out the problems affected by upgrades from your website which I doubt if any body really checks. Secondly, the time frame given in your announce has long lapsed. One or two days delay maybe acceptable but again how many days should I cluelessly wait? Connection problems are not uncommon issues since they have had happened many times in the past. Again, it had always been resolved with delays and late responses.

I can't think anything else to say but I expect some positive response and immediate action. I am hoping that I don't have to drag this issue to ComReg.

what ya think?

mart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kgcviper

i wrote to customer service, called them on the hotline on a weekend, they told me to restarte the modem (sure..."§"&"§%"!),
    today i called again customer service telling this idiot that i had 10mbit until thursday 2 weeks ago but he insisted that 6mbit is max blah blah

1 note to the newsserver: i heard it´s limited to 3 connections and that the group alt.bin.movies.divx has been removed??
    it´s only one thing to get rid of this: www.giganews.com, full speed and the well known 10 connections simultaneously, i have the 25gig pack for around 10,97€ and i never use more than 50% of the allowance, so for me is ok, except the downgraded speed by ntl...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Just back from holidays to find my NTL connection in D12 is erratic at best - constantly dropping connection meaning I have to reboot modem, router etc. Also, it seems when I try downloading newsgroup files from usenet monster through GrabIt it the downloads pause after a few seconds meaning I can't really download anything - anyone else have this problem?

Based on the above I assume it's been happening while I'm gone. Am getting sick of NTL and their 'we'll service it in roughly a week at a time that suits us, but we'll give you half day accuracy at best' attitude, and I'm really thinking of giving my hard earned cash to another provider as I've had plenty of problems with them and found little joy when discussing with a supervisor.

My NTL Digital TV is also acting up - taking ages to change channels and picture becoming blocky and breaking up, wonder if anyone else has had this?

Mart max - let us know how they respond to your mail - I'd make more of an issue about the techie not showing up - I'd demand compensation for lossed earnings.

Edit - I also can't access the sites listed above like superclub.ie etc.

• Advertisement

mart_max wrote:
    dear all

i'm still on a dogdy connection.

i was promised that a technician to come in today. they had the courtesy to SMS me yesterday abt the appointment. what da heck. no body turned up! and they don't even ring me telling it's not happening. argh. what a waste of half day pay and still no proper or working broadband.

argh!

now drafting an e-mail hoping for some positive response and immediate action :

what ya think?

mart

email looks good, I totally agree, they treat their customers like crap, how hard would it have been to send a letter or whatever out to everyone informing them of this changeover, afterall this was a big changeover to the chello network, a lot could have gone wrong, and well, is, and they haven't said anything about it, aren't answering emails to support, aren't sending technicians over, and pretty much refusing to give us an answer on all this stuff..... their customer support is complete shambles!
    kgcviper wrote:
    i wrote to customer service, called them on the hotline on a weekend, they told me to restarte the modem (sure..."§"&"§%"!),
    today i called again customer service telling this idiot that i had 10mbit until thursday 2 weeks ago but he insisted that 6mbit is max blah blah

1 note to the newsserver: i heard it´s limited to 3 connections and that the group alt.bin.movies.divx has been removed??
    it´s only one thing to get rid of this: www.giganews.com, full speed and the well known 10 connections simultaneously, i have the 25gig pack for around 10,97€ and i never use more than 50% of the allowance, so for me is ok, except the downgraded speed by ntl...

and Giganews is great! I use it too, but the Unlimited option, well worth the money, and well ntl are sort of right, it was always officially a 6mbit connection, it is just they had us capped to 10mbit, so as far as sales & support staff etc would be concerned it is a 6mbit connection you're paying for, and always was

I phoned NTL this evening and got through after 30 minutes. The girl on the phone wasn't very friendly. She must be getting it left right and centre by unhappy customers.

I told her what the symptoms were (unknown hosts, slow pings etc) and she asked for the modem mac address. She said that a technical person would be in touch but that there was a backlog.

Dopey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Dopey wrote:
    I phoned NTL this evening and got through after 30 minutes. The girl on the phone wasn't very friendly. She must be getting it left right and centre by unhappy customers.

I told her what the symptoms were (unknown hosts, slow pings etc) and she asked for the modem mac address. She said that a technical person would be in touch but that there was a backlog.

Dopey

Girl at the other end of the line will have no job in a few weeks! so dont expect them to be curtiuos! NTL are makeing allot of people in Wexford redundant!

hi again

i made phone calls twice this evening, talking to the same girl and she was almost speechless after all the mumbles and say i had. could not blame her but this is the best bait :

"sometimes, our technicians miss the appointments"

wow i am so fugly for this blind date.

mart

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Anybody having probs in D15 area at mo ... I cannot connect to the ntl network ... flashing ready light ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Got it - the sneaky DNS change get me every time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Drapper wrote:
    Girl at the other end of the line will have no job in a few weeks! so dont expect them to be curtiuos! NTL are makeing allot of people in Wexford redundant!

Thats Waterfrord not Wexford:)

mickger wrote:
    Thats Waterfrord not Wexford:)
    the same thing its not Dublin ! :p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Drapper wrote:
    the same thing its not Dublin ! :p:p:p

typical jackeen attitude.

if it's not inside the pale it doesn't count.

typical jackeen attitude.

if it's not inside the pale it doesn't count.

and typical culchi response! :p:p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kgcviper

i´ve just got a call back from a ntl technician and he told me that it is unsure so far what the new owner decides to do, ntl is as well as chello in france and germany owned by "UPC" which must be a irish company if i understood it right. he also said that the company is offering 20mbit in holland (whoohoo :) but no plans for ireland so far. it is thougt that the new speeds might be 3 - 5 - 10 from end of this year but that information is absolutely not approved but it is possible that this will happen i think.
    so i would say dont spam ntl with calls regarding this info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

shouldnt be too difficult for them to offer 10meg since they just took it away...:rolleyes:

kgcviper, i've already spammed NTL support to get my 6mb stay alive longer than a dial-up would be.. daily!... and i'll not stop... after all, they missed my appointment for nuthing, left me with improper connection for almost 2 weeks now.. AND the bill came in yesterday...

mart

shouldnt be too difficult for them to offer 10meg since they just took it away...:rolleyes:

haha, if it does happen, i'm willing to bet it will take weeks/months to upgrade everyone back up to 10meg, just like before, Bwahahahah :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

dublinhead wrote:

NTL or Chello still haven't got their finger out of their arse and fixed this yet anyone needing to access those sites could use a proxy as a work around until they fix this problem.

http://tor.eff.org/

is free it is a bit slow but will allow you access to those sites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

Hi,
    Is anyone else having trouble with non-ntl email accounts over NTL broadband? The usual way to overcome this was to set the incoming mail account to eircom.net (or whichever email account you;re using) and use the smtp.ntlworld.com for the outgoing. Now it seems to be rejecting this - anyone else having similar problems?

Cheers!

Hey Folks,

My connection is still shagged. No access to irishjobs.ie etc and requests for web pages fail when I enter in a new hostname in the url.

Outlook express fails to intermittently downloading email. What is the story? Dropped network packets?

How do you see what bandwith you have with NTL?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sounds like the same problem as the rest us Dopey - connection dies on upload. Have you messed with your connection at all in the past - changed DNS, etc?

Can you see your modem while you're working on the machine? If it resets itself (you'll see all the lights flash, then die) while you're working, then it'll need to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I thought the day would never come...a NTL engineer called today to replace my modem. I wasn't at home at the time, my parents where. Just heard it's not the modem thats the problem at all, but a problem in the area, I live in Lucan. I can't believe it!! I've had hardly any connection the past 2 weeks! He said it'l be another week perhaps before its fixed. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Anyone managed to get a replacement modem yet? My priority visit's been rescheduled twice at this stage. They're due to visit between 2 and 6 today but nothing yet. Just anxious to know if the new modem has resolved this problem for anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I can't hit those sites either. I've notice that sometimes my Synch light isn't on, but I still have a connection. Its been quite flaky over the past week.

stephen p wrote:
    I thought the day would never come...a NTL engineer called today to replace my modem. I wasn't at home at the time, my parents where. Just heard it's not the modem thats the problem at all, but a problem in the area, I live in Lucan. I can't believe it!! I've had hardly any connection the past 2 weeks! He said it'l be another week perhaps before its fixed. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Interesting. We have a guy calling out on Saturday morning (we insisted on it, since both of us living in the house work nine to five, and they refused to just send the modem to us). They're pretty convinced it's the modem. I'm 100% sure it's the modem. I'm in Lucan, but in that little bit that Liam Lawlor had *cough* rezoned, so afaik we're on the Clondalkin wing of NTL's network. Asked for a refund, and she told us to wait until it's confirmed fixed and then they'd refund us for everything up to the date that it's fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

seamus wrote:
    Interesting. We have a guy calling out on Saturday morning (we insisted on it, since both of us living in the house work nine to five, and they refused to just send the modem to us). They're pretty convinced it's the modem. I'm 100% sure it's the modem. I'm in Lucan, but in that little bit that Liam Lawlor had *cough* rezoned, so afaik we're on the Clondalkin wing of NTL's network. Asked for a refund, and she told us to wait until it's confirmed fixed and then they'd refund us for everything up to the date that it's fixed.

I'm probably in the same part as you. My da just said that the engineer first thought that there's too many customers on one of the nodes (I haven't a clue what a node is??). The engineer also said they've gotten a "few" complaints in the area and they're looking into and will ring me (when?? I don't know). He must have checked the modem with some hi-tech gadget cos he said it's working fine. Would he have had something to check to see if the modem was working?

I'll keep you posted if I get a phone call from them and let us know seamus what happens on Saturday?

Yeah, the MAC of the modem is available on your account, so he could easily have checked it before calling you.

I'll let you know if I get sorted on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I'm in Crumlin with one of the newer modems (its a 250 model) and over the past few weeks my connection has been just dropping randomly - working at good speed one minute, not working at all the next.

I'm using Linksys Wireless A&G router, though not sure if this could be complicating things as it was all working pefectly until a few weeks ago.

I had problems in the past and found NTL support and ridiculous 'we'll call to you in about a week and give you half a day's accuracy so you'll have to take a day off work' attitude to be one of the worst I've ever experienced. It was so poor my faith in them is so low I don't think I'll even bother ringing them up - I'll just start looking for other providers if this keeps up.

Advertisement