Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Town by town accents....

• 30-07-2006 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

So last night, Im in a nightclub in Cavan, me and a few of the lads. Standin out at the smokin area, talkin, whathaveya, and notice these two birds givin us the eye. Now, they were slightly heavy set and I hadnt had a whole pile to drink yet so my interest was rather minimal but fcuk it, its nice to be appreciated. So anyway Im talkin to the lads and one of the birds shouts over "so where in Blanch are you from?". Thinking she is from Blanch and she has seen me around the place, I tell her where Im from and I ask where she knows me from, and she replies that shes never seen me before, she just knows by the accent that, like herself, Im from Blanch.:confused: She claimed she could tell most peoples exact area of the northside by their accent, differentiating between Finglas, the mun, Coolock, north inner city, wherever it is she claimed she could tell your exact area. She even claimed to have won a bet with her friend by correctly guessing your man from Finglas on Big Brother was from there, purely by accent. Whole thing reminded me of that skit on an old DMX album with the two drug dealers

man1):how the fcuk you know i'm a New York nigga
    (pacman):you smell like a New York nigga to me man :D

So anyway, question is, whilst the rest of us simply hear, lets say, a Cork accent, can you tell what town in Cork the person is from? Or what section of Cork city? Is there a difference between Limerick city and county? On reflection, everyone I know from Finglas (the lads at least) has a sort of deep, gravelly voice, though Id never noticed this was common Finglas thing till your one mentioned it last night, but generally an accent is an accent to me. And as for Dunboyne, not an accent issue as such but nearly everyone I know from there is of a sort of dark swarthy appearance. Popular joke is that there must have been some Italian or Arab postman/milkman working there 19 years ago :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Tha Gopher wrote:
    She even claimed to have won a bet with her friend by correctly guessing your man from Finglas on Big Brother was from there, purely by accent.

Spiral's accent is very similar to this gob****e I know from Tallaght, first time I heard spiral on Big brother without seeing him i thought it was the tallaght fella on the telly... weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Yeah I'd agree with that.
    I can tell a north westmeath accent apart from a south westmeath accent. (say Athlone vs Mullingar)
    or does that count.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭brid_m

yeah, u can kinda tell the difference btween accents in offaly like tullamore from birr of kinnitty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've heard that some people would have a super local accent.
    That is when you use words or intonations that are particular for a very small area, like one or two streets. Or a tiny one street village.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Linguistics academics do this kind of stuff all the time. They have to publish papers even if no-one reads them. Google for say "Irish regional accents". Lots of scholarly stuff out there. No guarantee anyone will understand it mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Yes there are even differences in the south dublin accent imo. That is to say - the natural south dublin accent, and the more irritating 'acquired' one.
    Also theres deffo a difference between Blackrock/ Monkstown people and D4, everyone else is a bit of a mix.

I cant tell any difference between the scottish and certain NI accents, they both sound the exact same to me, although Im told theyre pretty different:) :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭greenteaicedtea

I can pick out whether someone was raised in Toronto, or the outlying rural areas, (maybe a 2 hour drive away) by the accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Prospect Hill has a different accent than the city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

i can tell what part of Leixlip someone is from by their accent. (blow ins not included).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I thought everyone in Leixlip was a blow in, isnt it a manmade town (for want of a better term)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

InFront wrote:
    I thought everyone in Leixlip was a blow in, isnt it a manmade town (for want of a better term)
    the large growth in population only happened in the last 15 years and was fairly gradual.
    my mothers family has roots here going back a couple of hundred years.
    there are plenty of other families in the town that have the same history here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I can differentiate between the following Dublin working-class accents:

- Nothside (Coolock/Kilbarrack/Donaghede/Darndale)
    - Inner city (Liberties etc)
    - Southside (Crumlin/Kimmage/Blanch/Taaaaaaleeh)

And also between true D4 and someone who's just watched Friends a little too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

Well I'm from Cork and believe me I can tell the difference from a Mayfield accent to a Ballincollig one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Tha Gopher wrote:
    So anyway Im talkin to the lads and one of the birds shouts over "so where in Blanch are you from?". Thinking she is from Blanch and she has seen me around the place, I tell her where Im from and I ask where she knows me from, and she replies that shes never seen me before, she just knows by the accent that, like herself, Im from Blanch.:confused: She claimed she could tell most peoples exact area of the northside by their accent, differentiating between Finglas, the mun, Coolock, north inner city, wherever it is she claimed she could tell your exact area.
    Your mates told her where you were from while you were in the bog. They spent the rest of the night pi$$ing themselves laughing at you falling for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭GreenDoor

What do people think of the Waterford accent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I remember hearing that apparently there's 17 distinct different Dublin accents. I thought it was bollox at the time but the longer I'm here the more I notice all the variations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

I can differentiate between the following Dublin working-class accents:

- Nothside (Coolock/Kilbarrack/Donaghede/Darndale)
    - Inner city (Liberties etc)
    - Southside (Crumlin/Kimmage/Blanch/Taaaaaaleeh)

And also between true D4 and someone who's just watched Friends a little too much.

Blanch isn't Southside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

GreenDoor wrote:
    What do people think of the Waterford accent?
    Annoying :p

I can differentiate between the various Dublin accents and also the different accents within County Kilkenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Can even notice it around Dundalk to be honest..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Troglodyte

Nightwish wrote:
    Annoying :p

I can differentiate between the various Dublin accents and also the different accents within County Kilkenny.

I'm from Waterford myself, and even I find a strong Waterford accent to be a bit on the annoying side. I mean, its not exactly soft, and tends to sound like a long whine. Mind you, thats the full on Waterford accent that you'd hear at the top of the town. Most Waterfordians actually sound neutral enough, at least compared to Cork people IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Ever notice how the real Dub drops the "R"...as in "The Copperation"

I took the missus to the pub and we ate at "The Cavvery" I had foahhr pints of stouh an she had six botthles of Cahlsberg...then the fookers toss is in when its not there...

When are you going on hollydays Imelda? We are going to Chicargo in Aurgust...we bought the tickets from a man in Rocherstown Avenue.

i think the Dublin accent comes from the lazy tongue...ie roll all the words into one...Yaknowworahmeyan....

they have a major problem with the letther "T" canth pronounce ith ath all..all the dattha will confirm this...its either "Giz a bleeedin bohhle a stouh" Or "Gis a bleedin botthle of stouth"

Its amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

I know the Wexford accents very well. I can tell if a person is from Gorey, New Ross, or Enniscorthy/Wexford Town. The nEw Ross accent is basically just a regular Irish accent. The Wexford/Enniscorthy accent is pretty much the same and is very strong and easily recognised. The Wexford Town accent is probbaly a little bit stronger than the Enniscorthy one. The Gorey accent is basically a mixture of a Dublin accent and a Wexford Town accent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Ballymena and Antrim are only 12 miles apart, but the difference in accents is amazing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

CoolCiaran wrote:
    I know the Wexford accents very well. I can tell if a person is from Gorey, New Ross, or Enniscorthy/Wexford Town. The nEw Ross accent is basically just a regular Irish accent. The Wexford/Enniscorthy accent is pretty much the same and is very strong and easily recognised. The Wexford Town accent is probbaly a little bit stronger than the Enniscorthy one. The Gorey accent is basically a mixture of a Dublin accent and a Wexford Town accent.

We are always confused of being from Belfast alot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

interesting thread this anyone like to contribute?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Dickie10 wrote: »

Im not reading that scutter, but what I would like to know is how you found this thread from 12 years ago? There must be a story there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Dickie10 wrote: »

zombie-thread.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I bèt you cân't tèll whèrè I'm from bâsèd on my âccènts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Oriel wrote: »
    Ballymena and Antrim are only 12 miles apart, but the difference in accents is amazing...

Balltcastle is even more different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Balltcastle is even more different.

Is it not very like Ballycastle?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm not so good at accents, but remember Niall Tóibín doing a thing on accents between Dun Laoghaire (not the D4 ones) and Bray and was able to explain and pronounce the differences along the way.

( for any non-natives that was an enunciation of the variations of accent, with corrections for social standing , over a distance of 12Km along a commuter railway that's been running since 1854 )

Is it not very like Ballycastle?

Ballycastle is more Scottish sounding than Ballymena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ballycastle is more Scottish sounding than Ballymena.

Who mentioned Ballymena? We were on Balltcastle and Ballycastle and they are indisputably very similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Who mentioned Ballymena? We were on Balltcastle and Ballycastle and they are indisputably very similar.

sorry, thats my stupid phone's fault etc.

An Post special deal, Hauwaei... touch screen accuracy and sensitivity aint good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I bèt you cân't tèll whèrè I'm from bâsèd on my âccènts

Em, gonna go with Sligo?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Thread is 12 years old. Holy god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

beertons wrote: »
    Thread is 12 years old. Holy god.

0409_Mick_H

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    Is there a difference between Limerick city and county?

There's a huge difference. Then there's differences between different parts of the city. And also huge differences between different towns/villages in the county. For example people from west Limerick have a completely different accent to those who live in towns, say, closer to the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

meath has a huge variation in accents. North meath very like cavan an louth, south east and east meath is dublin heavy. south west meath and western meath are very midlands accented. parts of meath and where south and west of trim is very like kildare,offaly or westmeath. extreme south west leg of meath stuck between westmeath and kildare near kinnegad is pure midlands. i suppose a large area of meath could not be considered north east as it is traditionally but more east midlands. socially, economically and culturally areas in western meath from kells to trim have nthing in common with the north east and a lot more in common with midlands

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    0409_Mick_H

Be the holy god

Advertisement