Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What would happen if i was caught on the road on my Quad

Options
  • 30-07-2006 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Ive a quad that i do ramble out on my nice surrounding country roads where i live. If the fields are too wet and i dont wanna wreck our grass ihit the road the odd time.

just wondering what could happen if i were stopped by the garda with nothing better to do, whilst on the road with it. Obviously i dont have it taxed/insured for the road, just insured as a farm asset with the other farm stuff.

Could they do me for having no insurance,,,,, and if so would that effect my car insurance policy in any way or would it be completely seperate to my car. Like if i were charged with driving the quad with no Insurance and i go to renew my car policy would i have to say i have a charge of riding a quad without insurance or would my car ins company only be interested in car related charges?
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Yes to all the above. Same as driving a car without tax or insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

You are legally aloud to drive a quad on Irish roads and motorways. So if you are caught without tax and insurrance, they will not just throw the book at you but smack you around with it.

Why do you think its ok to drive without tax and insurrance ?? Are you special or something ? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If I were you, my primary worry would be hitting someone/something on the road with no insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Why do you think its ok to drive without tax and insurrance ?? Are you special or something ?
    Nah not special, just rich sort of! ha ha.
    If I were you, my primary worry would be hitting someone/something on the road with no insurance.
    Really, i only wander out for the odd spin on country roads. Not exactly commuting daily to Scrublin and back. :rolleyes: What might i hit, a rabbit, or a deer even.

So it would affect my car poilcy, fair enough thats all i wanted to know.

Nuttzy wrote:
    Nah not special, just rich sort of! ha ha.

All the more reason not to drive uninsured. It is a much more agreeable experience to sue someone with money than a person without the means to pay damages.
    KTRIC wrote:
    You are legally aloud to drive a quad on Irish roads and motorways.

Very few quads are road legal. i.e. have lights, indicators, brake lights and are registered. The standard farmers Honda or Polaris certainly is not.

As an aside: A guy was charged in the UK for driving without tax and insurance when he was driving his childs electic scooter around the estate where he lived!

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by KTRIC

Did he mean to say, You are NOT aloud to drive.......................?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Nuttzy wrote:
    if i were stopped by the garda with nothing better to do,

You seem to have an attitude problem with the Gardai. Are all your posts anti Gardai? Grow up!

Back on topic:

Contrary to popular belief, you are not legally permitted to drive a quad on public roads with an A,A1,M licence only.

Nuttzy wrote:
    Did he mean to say, You are NOT aloud to drive.......................?

or even "allowed"!

You seem to have an attitude problem with the Gardai. Are all your posts anti Gardai? Grow up!

Back on topic:

Contrary to popular belief, you are not legally permitted to drive a quad on public roads with an A,A1,M licence only.

Would a W one do I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As others say, you will be done for driving without tax or insurance. I'm not sure if quads are classed as motorcycles or cars, so it's possible that you could be hit with driving without a licence too.

You're likely to be hit with a large fine, an endorsement and a short ban if caught. This ban will affect your ability to drive a car and your ability to get insurance for five or more years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

and it would be seized from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Gardai with nothing better to do are paid to catch people who decide to take there quad for a spin in public....
    okay lets start at the begining
    after seizing the quad off you under the Finace Act

((3) Whenever an officer of the Commissioners or a member of the Garda Siochana reasonably suspects that—

( a ) a vehicle has not been registered, or

( b ) a vehicle has been converted and a declaration in relation to the conversion has not been made under section 131, or

( c ) any vehicle registration tax in respect of a vehicle has not been paid,

the officer, if duly authorised by the Commissioners in that behalf and on production of his authorisation if so requested by any person affected, or the member may detain the vehicle until such examination, enquiries or investigations as may be deemed necessary by the officer, or by another officer of the Commissioners, or by the member have been made for the purpose of determining to the satisfaction of either of such officers or the member whether or not the vehicle has been registered, the declaration aforesaid has been made or the vehicle registration tax has been paid, as may be appropriate
    .)

and after contacting customs the Garda would probably summons you to court for the following

using an unregistered vehicle in a public place
    no tax
    no insurance
    non display of both
    non production of insurance

This would affect your insurance because your licence would be endorsed,
    you also be contacted by customs who would bill you for vehicle registration tax depending on the value of the quad,
    but your rich and you can afford to pay all this so hey who cares ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Nuttzy wrote:
    Ive a quad that i do ramble out on my nice surrounding country roads where i live. If the fields are too wet and i dont wanna wreck our grass ihit the road the odd time.

just wondering what could happen if i were stopped by the garda with nothing better to do, whilst on the road with it. Obviously i dont have it taxed/insured for the road, just insured as a farm asset with the other farm stuff.

Cheers!

Unfortunately probably the worse that could happen is a fine +/- penalty points. Your careless Hill Billie attitude probably suggests you will get a ban at some point, I mean if you would risk wrecking someone's life instead of your precious grass! I hope the lucky Garda is Dirty Harry Traffic Corps and sends your ass to the slammer.

Kop yourself on, if you cannot afford fun go mind the sheep!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

One of the worst crashes I have seen have been with quad bikes on the open road- two best friends on a quad bike doing about 100k ran into the side of a car, one lad was killed, the other got to us but had severe head injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Nuttzy wrote:
    Really, i only wander out for the odd spin on country roads. Not exactly commuting daily to Scrublin and back. :rolleyes: What might i hit, a rabbit, or a deer even.

This just gets dumber & dumber. You're talking about driving on public roads, by definition you have no idea who or what you'll meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

KTRIC wrote:
    That would depend. Does it have a differential and what speed is it capable of?

What you mean by differential? It does 85kph, 50mph sure we`ll say.

Victor wrote:

How would that matter?

maidhc wrote:
    How would that matter?

As far as I remember under Irish law quads are in the same class as cars or other 4 wheel vehicles and not motorbikes as alot of people presume.

A quad can be driven on a public road once it has proper lights, indicators and mirrors. Also the driver has to wear a helmet.

If everyone with money had the attitude that they can drive without tax or insurance then the whole system would fall apart. By the OP's reasoning I could drive my 650 motorbike without insurance just because I have a couple of bob to spare, try explaining that to the Gardai at a check point.

A quad can be driven on a public road once it has proper lights, indicators and mirrors. Also the driver has to wear a helmet.
    I know you can make them road legal, sure some of the farmers near me have them for the road. i just couldnt be bothered sticking indicators and crap on it and also paying the road tax of E249. i`d want to be on the road everyday with it to justify giving them that cash.

• Advertisement

Nuttzy wrote:
    I know you can make them road legal, sure some of the farmers near me have them for the road. i just couldnt be bothered sticking indicators and crap on it and also paying the road tax of E249. i`d want to be on the road everyday with it to justify giving them that cash.

I would love to say something to you now, but I'm sure I would be banned for personal abuse.

What I was going to say contained a couple of words with the letter "F" and then the word idiot.

KTRIC wrote:
    I would love to say something to you now, but I'm sure I would be banned for personal abuse.

I'm sure the mods would understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Does Nuttzy do anything other than troll here? Every post on this thread seems to have been written for maximum reaction. "I'm rich therefore I shouldn't have to pay tax" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

sssalright the rich bleed just like the rest of us...

Victor wrote:
    Nuttzy wrote:
    What you mean by differential? It does 85kph, 50mph sure we`ll say.

You claim to be a farmer and you don't know what a differential is? Have you never heard of the differential lock in a tractor?

A differential allows the wheels of a vehicle to rotate at different speeds. When cornering the inside wheel has a smaller circle to travel than the outer one. The differential allows this. Some vehicles do not have a differential which makes cornering very difficult as both wheels are rotating at the same speed. The inner wheel has to spin or the outer one has to slide.

Tractors are equipped with a pedal to lock the differential. It's usually located back under the seat. This is useful in difficult terrain when one wheel may be spinning and losing grip.

I'm open to correction on this but I think that a vehicle may only be used in a public place if it is equipped with a differential. This is essentially the point that Victor was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Nuttzy wrote:
    What would happen if i was caught on the road on my Quad

Your mammy would redden your ar*e.

Tractors are equipped with a pedal to lock the differential. It's usually located back under the seat. This is useful in difficult terrain when one wheel may be spinning and losing grip.

He is rich, so his daddys tractor has an automatic diff that kicks in when the optical speed sensor detects wheelslip and the front wheels are running straight. :)

Back to your Fordson now. :D

Advertisement